FM82's Bug-out Camper Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: FM82's Bug-out Camper Build

Postby FM82 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks, Kate! I'm really happy to be back on it also. I've been busy with some tedious parts lately, but some grouped together pics of progress will be coming soon! Thank you for following along.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Alright, so I don't have a compiled list of progress pictures this time, although much has been done. The air conditioning duct is installed, and the wall compartments are in paint, and being finished up. Woohoo!

As for the walls, I ditched the Revolution Ply/Luan, and went with 1/4" birch with red oak veneer. I'm not entirely crazy about the color after applying the urethane, and the shine is more than I care for, even with it being a satin finish. The last two pictures are with one of the wall panels sanded with 400.

Not really a glossy kinda guy, and I'd prefer to see the grain a bit more, so I may go to the matte finish, and if that doesn't suite me, I'll just roll with it stuffed down like it is in the picture.ImageImageImageImage
Just a glimpse of the lower compartments as they are going through the painting process. These will house the power outlets (110v and 12v).Image

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm

My plan is to have the bottoms of the lower compartments done in solid oak, and stained. Because of the way I have constructed the compartments, I needed to break out the files and rasps to get the fitment the way I wanted.Image

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks for sharing your flat fender version :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FM82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:48 pm

twisted lines wrote:Thanks for sharing your flat fender version
Sure thing, TL! I'm having a blast working on it again. Thanks for the feedback!

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Got the lower compartment bottoms stained and ready to mount. I've always liked the appearance of bolts, screws, gears, etc., So I may mount them down with some small, stainless bolts, instead of using an adhesive. Not entirely sure yet.ImageImage

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:40 am

Got a decent start on my cabinet front. A couple screwups, but nothing that can't be corrected.ImageImageI made the center panel interchangeable, just in case my air conditioner idea is a flop.ImageAnd my ol' buddy here, highly unimpressed with the execution speed of today's work.Image

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Cut out the pull notches before priming, and decided to add a bevel to the rear of the notches. Cool how little additions like this make a big improvement.ImageImage

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Nice build, I like how you've made the framing out of steel tubing. I think your Buddy wants a treat.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby FM82 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:32 am

Haha a treat is about the only thing he'll move quick for. He's a good lazy companion.

Thanks, Bruce. The steel framing does make things a little more difficult by adding in extra steps when wood working comes into play, but I really like it. If I was to do it all over again, I would like to do a combination of steel and aluminum.

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 am

Resin coated the MDF cabinet front, and doors yesterday. I feel pretty sure it's a little overkill, but with MDF being like a big sponge, it's a simple process to avoid a potentially big problem later on down the road.

Didn't have enough time to sand them all down, but I did sand enough to get that sense of gratification from the work. Poured a little water on an area just to get a picture.Image

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Slowly moving along, but moving along at least. Here are a few pictures of a bit more progress. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to feel like this is going to be one of those where pieces are near to fully completed, but never seen together until later.

Anyway, here's where I am now...

- Headliner and front wall are ready to be drilled for lights, then covered.
- Wall compartments/cabinets are 98% complete.
- The main cabinet's front, and doors are resin coated and nearly ready for paint.

I'm at a standstill with the wiring, headliner, and cabinet progress until a parts shipment arrives.ImageImageImage

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby redbicycle » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:12 am

Progress is progress! You will get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am

redbicycle wrote:Progress is progress! You will get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes indeed! Getting there slowly, but surely.

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am

Question:

I'm wanting to mount my fender well linings in such a way so that they can be removed easily, but still be able to keep water out. If I'm thinking right, butyl tape wouldn't be the best route to take for this, right?
My second thought was using standard foam type weather sealant stripping, but I'm not 100% sure how well it would keep water out, or the longevity of it's ability.
Third thought was to do the same thing as seen behind automotive door panels, where they take a heavy duty plastic sheet and seal it to the metal on the door with a putty-like bead. In this case, I would just use butyl tape. This route sounds ideal, but I would have many seams to worry about, having all of the angles.

Any suggestions?

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals