Carbon Fiber/Aluminum build for a family of 5

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Carbon Fiber/Aluminum build for a family of 5

Postby eLink » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16 am

I once had the idea to do a fractal burn design on my teardrop's cabinet doors. But I got intimidated when I heard how dangerous the burners can be.
Awesome to see that you have done it! Looks great!
eLink
Teardrop Master

Re: Carbon Fiber/Aluminum build for a family of 5

Postby StrongFeather » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:42 pm

whiteryanc wrote:Man, this is phenomenal! I've been heavily researching ways to build up a custom ultra-light trailer to be towed behind a 4-cyclinder car and the idea of a bolted together frame is most attainable for my abilities.

Do you feel confident with the long-term strength of the joints and fasteners? What's your long-term plan for inspecting the fasteners and can you reach them all with the build completed on top of the frame?

Well done, thanks for all the images/information!

Thanks for the complements!

I'm pretty confident in the aluminum frame construction. I was careful to avoid isolated point loads (such as a bolt head) that could cause localized, high-stress areas. But more than that, the entire camper is a (relatively) monolithic structure, which goes a long way toward reducing stress on the frame.

Every fastener is accessible with the exception of the T-nuts that are epoxied into the bottom of the walls - but I'm not worried about them.

Best of luck with your research/build. What are you planning for the superstructure of your ultra-light trailer?

:beer:
Steve
Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71138
Composite Panel Construction Technique viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71192

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
~Red Green
StrongFeather
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals