Unconventional Offroad Trailer Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Unconventional Offroad Trailer Build

Postby OkanaganOverland » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:47 am

Hi All,

I am starting this thread to show off my trailer which I built about 4 years ago. I have documented this a little better on my blog which can be found at https://www.okanaganoverland.com/p/overland-trailer-build.html. I did however speed through the build and therefore didn't document it as well as I should have, nor did I do much of a detailed write up as I went. Truthfully too, I wasn't all that confident with my approach either and I didn't want a lot of evidence online if I either didn't finish the build, or it flopped miserably. Thankfully neither of those things happened!

My main criteria was I wanted a low maintenance trailer that looked proportional behind my mild to moderately modified Jeep Wrangler, more capable than most commercially available trailers, warmer and quieter than a tent.

Here is one of the most recent pictures of it in tow.
IMG_7643.jpg
IMG_7643.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 2590 times

Basically the trailer started life as a utility trailer which my dad build in 1983. I know this because our last name and 83 was welded inside the frame. Originally built as a fairly heavy duty utility trailer the frame was all 3 inch steel channel. This gives the trailer the vast amount of its weight. It was sitting out on my parents property for years, so when I asked if I could have it they happily gave to to me for free.

I meant for this build to be 'quick and dirty' using lots of used and salvaged parts but ended up buying lots new and blowing my budget. In hindsight I am very happy that I did, however I am torn that I didn't invest more (both time and money) getting the trailer base just how I would have wanted it. This could have included rebuilding the frame from scratch.

Now if I did build from scratch I strongly feel I would have ended up with a more conventional teardrop, as I basically let the trailer speak to me about how the build took shape. All in all I am extremely happy with it and have no remorse.

Trailer Stats:

Build time: 4 months to get 'usable' I still consider it a work in progress
Cost: While I have all the receipts for the initial build I have never added it up, I suspect in the $4000 range (original budget was $1500)
Weight: about 1500lbs loaded
Suspension: Leaf sprung 3500lb axle (will be adding brakes when the same axle with brakes comes on sale next)
Materials: Heavy steel trailer frame, 1" steel tubing skeleton, styrofoam insulation, aluminum sheeting adhered with 3m VHB tape, interior is a vinyl on one side rv luan plywood, and floors are plywood, rv aluminum exterior trim.
Tow Vehicle: 2007 then 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, with 4:56 gears

Unique features (clickbait to get you to check out the blog ;)):
- Single entry door
- Bed at back of trailer which you climb in from the foot of the bed
- Loads of storage
- Sunken floor

Since completion I have towed it well over 10 thousand kilometres, and camped in it over 100 nights. The first winter I did have some minor leaking (virtually undetectable) from the roof around the vent, as well as the front corner by the door. I believe both were ultimately caused by the butyl tape being drawn up by the self tapping screws. Once corrected I have had zero issues and it is stored outdoors, uncovered, year round. Many commercially available trailers would fair worse.

Here is a picture in full camp setup mode.
IMG_20180623_140820.jpg
IMG_20180623_140820.jpg (133.11 KiB) Viewed 2590 times

I like that despite a single entry door you can still get in and climb into bed without disturbing a partner, I also like that with the sunken floor you can change while 'standing' (hunched over at 6'2"). The sunken floor is also great for the dogs bed or buddy heater (wouldn't suggest both at the same time!).

I didn't put in a kitchen due to trying to keep it simple, and while I think that aspect of a traditional teardrop is cool, I don't really find myself missing it. In lieu of sinks we make due with plastic wash tubs that easily allow us a wash and rinse water and stow easily under the bed when we are on the move. The Jeep itself has our 12v fridge which I like as it allows us leverage it for daytrips, and camping trips on trails too rough to take the trailer. Plus I must admit, I like the idea of being distanced from food or food smells for wildlife reasons. However in saying that we still do stash the stove in the cubby accessible from the outside. Folding tables stashed in either the Jeep or trailer become our food prep areas when not at camp sites with picnic tables.

I think I will leave my writeup there for now. I am very happy to answer any questions, or accept comments or criticism. I do want to eventually build another trailer, so love hearing ideas or considerations! Thanks!

IMG_20180524_204946_047.jpg
IMG_20180524_204946_047.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Last edited by OkanaganOverland on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.okanaganoverland.com
Instagram: OkanaganOverland
OkanaganOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Unconventional Offroad Trailer Build

Postby Louisd75 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:24 pm

OkanaganOverland wrote:
IMG_20180524_204946_047.jpg

Welcome! I spy a Northwest Overland Rally sticker and a BC Rally sticker. Are you in the BC area?
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby OkanaganOverland » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Yup, live near Kelowna BC.

Are you planning on making it to any of the rallies this year?
www.okanaganoverland.com
OkanaganOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jnelson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Looks great! I recently added the ARB awning room to my camper too. Well worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
jnelson
Teardrop Builder

Postby OkanaganOverland » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:49 am

Couldn't agree more, I now have both the deluxe room as well as the 3 wall set.

The walls pack up slightly more compact and are nice to add a little extra privacy or shade/shelter

The deluxe room is great when you need to hide from bugs or the weather is worse. If only purchasing one, this is the way to go.

Shortly after making this original post to my build thread I installed a diesel air heater and made a YouTube video showing it. Please check it out if your interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhcZLLCKNY&t
www.okanaganoverland.com
OkanaganOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:47 am

That's a great design! I enjoyed your blog and the level of effort you put into this. It must have been fun for you and your Dad to rebuild a trailer that he had for all of those years.

Coincidentally, I have an "old blue" trailer sitting in my back yard that I've been looking for something to repurpose it into. This might be it … as soon as get a few other Jeep and trailer projects out of the way.
:lol:
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby lfhoward » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:52 am

Really enjoyed looking at your build. Cool ideas with the sunken floor and under bed storage. Also, the awning room is a great addition. :thumbsup: I like your Jeep too!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Build Journals