...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: #4

Postby noseoil » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 am

Nice progress on the build. It's hard trying to decide on a one-off build about tooling vs. just getting it done and moving to the next step. If you were doing a production run, it would be a different approach but one-of-a-kind lends itself more to the "just do it" school of thought. All I can think of is the scene from Animal House, decisions, decisions...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:54 am

noseoil wrote:Nice progress on the build. It's hard trying to decide on a one-off build about tooling vs. just getting it done and moving to the next step. If you were doing a production run, it would be a different approach but one-of-a-kind lends itself more to the "just do it" school of thought. All I can think of is the scene from Animal House, decisions, decisions...

I ordered my axle from Dexter on April 2nd. They said i would have it in three weeks. On week four I called them and they found it in Atlanta. They shipped it to their dealer in Caldwell who was moving a to a different building. It took a bit over six weeks for me to get it.

When it arrived, it wasn’t right. I’d ordered it 74” face to face and it was 81. Dexter apologized profusely and the new one was drop shipped from the factory at no charge.

In the meanwhile the trailer chassis is sitting on a small utility trailer.

I asked them two weeks ago about the wrong axle that’s still sitting in front of my shop. The guy said he’d call me back. It didn’t happen.

So I think I have an extra axle. Free. A new utility trailer may come forth in the shop this winter.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:43 pm

This morning was the bolt-the-axle-on and lug-up-the-tires day. It's a turned corner. :thumbsup:

Let's see... wiring, fenders, and propane lines. :frightened: And then there's that cabin thingy...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Axle

Postby noseoil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:29 pm

What weight is the axle(s) on the build? A nice flatbed or removable stake-side sounds handy to have, just in case...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Axle

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:46 pm

noseoil wrote:What weight is the axle(s) on the build? A nice flatbed or removable stake-side sounds handy to have, just in case...

The spare axle is rated for 1600 pounds. We've got an ATV with a plow that we use around the place. I'd guess it weighs about 600 pounds. I'd design it for hauling that and other stuff.

T

p.s. I just bought a used Tekonsha 90160 brake controller on eBay for $26 delivered. :thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 pm

I know some of you must be lying awake wondering where I've been. Wondering if I fell off a cliff or threw my carcass onto my Sawstop (which wouldn't make a mess).

We did a one-nighter in Flash last week. Took a poke around some old stomping grounds. Here's a shot of the Big Lost River Range. It's steep.

In '83, that ridge grew 9' during an earthquake that hit 7.3 on the Richter. :? Scared the bejeezus out of me.

We almost caught the sunset. Shoulda been watching instead of reading inside.

I did manage to get the other wall fiberglassed tonight.

The Doors were banging away through the earbuds and kept the pace cranking. Nothing like the sugar-like smell of epoxy and good rock. :thumbsup:

Tony

P.s. Sugar? Maybe black tea?
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:12 pm

tony.latham wrote:I know some of you must be lying awake wondering where I've been. Wondering if I fell off a cliff or threw my carcass onto my Sawstop (which wouldn't make a mess).

We did a one-nighter in Flash last week. Took a poke around some old stomping grounds. Here's a shot of the Big Lost River Range. It's steep.

In '83, that ridge grew 9' during an earthquake that hit 7.3 on the Richter. :? Scared the bejeezus out of me.

We almost caught the sunset. Shoulda been watching instead of reading inside.

I did manage to get the other wall fiberglassed tonight.

The Doors were banging away through the earbuds and kept the pace cranking. Nothing like the sugar-like smell of epoxy and good rock.

Tony

P.s. Sugar? Maybe black tea?
Hey Tony... Where's your mask. Beautiful sunset by the way. You're lucky to experience such beautiful things

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Last edited by Atomic77 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:16 pm

Hey Tony... Where's your mask.

From Raka's MSDS: "RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: None needed."

Thoughts? :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:19 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Hey Tony... Where's your mask.

From Raka's MSDS: "RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: None needed."

Thoughts? :frightened:

Tony
I was told that for years by all the reps... I now have "Occupationally Induced Asthma." So yeah, it takes awhile probably. But I recommend one.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:28 pm

I now have "Occupationally Induced Asthma."

Hmmmmmmmm :?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:35 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I now have "Occupationally Induced Asthma."

Hmmmmmmmm :?

T
I mean, I've built a lot of boats. But it hit me all at once. One day I was fine and the next I was going to the hospital. Then a few years later, the bladder cancer.

You'll never know if you have too much protection.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:27 am

i question if some of this stuff is cumulative ?

body never able to get rid of...

kinda like heavy metals

no issues until WHAM when it reaches that certain level

my barn was designed/situated for natural flow thru ventiation and i enhance the flow w/ several fans when working w/ this stuff

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 am

A cut and paste from http://www.Sentryair.com

Epoxy Exposure Respiratory Harm
When epoxy fumes are inhaled, they can affect the nose, throat, and lungs. Most symptoms from the inhalation of epoxy involve inflammation and therefore irritation of the nose, throat, and lungs. Repetitive and high amounts of exposure to these fumes can result in sensitization and asthma.

When the dust from partially cured epoxy is inhaled, the particles become trapped in the mucus lining of the respiratory system and can cause serious health problems. According to West System, a leading epoxy manufacturer, this dust should never be inhaled. [Ref. 2]

Epoxy Sensitization and Asthma
Sensitization, in this case, is the state of being allergic to epoxy. Sensitization can occur at any point, regardless of how many times or for how long you’ve been exposed to epoxy. Your chances of being sensitized will increase if you’re exposed to a greater amount of fumes in an unventilated area, but even one episode of exposure can lead to an allergic reaction. This is why preventative safety is so important in regard to epoxy. Once sensitized, even small amounts of the substance can trigger allergic reactions and it will be increasingly difficult to work with the material. There is also no definite cure for sensitization, only methods to relieve the symptoms.

From West Systems: Exposure by inhaling vapors is unlikely because epoxy products evaporate slowly. However, the risk increases when ventilation is inadequate or when the products are heated.

I don't use this stuff on a daily basis --certainly not repetitively. When I do, I open up the windows and garage door. During sanding, I wear a respirator.

We definitely need to be conscious beyond our fingers when it comes to shop safety.

'Nuff said. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 am

On my bucket list, how to do epoxy. I'll use it if I ever build another trailer, but I just can't seem to finish the one I have. :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:33 am

On my bucket list, how to do epoxy.

It's simple. No mystery. No chanting. No black candles.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals