Benroy on the prairies

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy on the prairies

Postby ghamo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:56 pm

The one thing I really felt was missing from our first weekend was a small awning so that if it rains we don't have to worry about our shoes getting wet. I didn't want to spend a lot of money to do this, so I didn't want a roof rack mounted van awning.

This left a few thoughts and I decided to do a kelter welt style awning. I bought a plastic flex a rail that fit a 5/16" kelter welt, used a heat gun to form and attach it. I then cut a tarp to the desired shape and sewed on the kelter welt. Now I have a 20$ awning that keeps the area outside the door dry in the rain.

All in all I am very happy with how the trailer worked out, there are still some tweaks in the books but we were able to get in quite a bit of camping and really break in the trailer nicely.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
ghamo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Spotman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Please tell me more about this kelter Welt attachment and a few pics please.

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby ghamo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Sorry I double checked and its Keder Welt, not kelter welt and I actually used the 9/32" keder welt.

It is a very simple system, the keder-welt just slides through flex a rail (even with the screws in it) and you can sew the overhang portion of the keder welt to whatever you want, I went with a tarp as I didnt want to spend much money not knowing if it works. I imagine once the tarp gets worn I will remake it with something a little nicer. One thing I should point out is it can slide back and forth in the rail, so I use a little piece of rope at one end to secure the location of the awning in the rail when it gets a little windy.

Also because it is attached to the trailer it is not very tall, which if someone wants to stand under it they either need to be short (like my wife) or not be bothered by the height. I am 6'5 so no matter what awning I used I would have to duck.

I can take some more pictures later, but I dont keep the trailer at my house, so it wont be for a week or so. The links below should help a lot.

Here are the links to what I used: https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/Keder-Welt--932_p_11359.html and https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/Flex_A_Rail.
ghamo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Nice. I really like this one.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Spotman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Thanks for the great info. I will look into that.Image