A Little Tearapy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: A Little Tearapy

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:17 pm

A close up of the edge showing the spliced joint.

I like that double spline. What bit? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby erfnie » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:11 pm

Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72509
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby erfnie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 am

Wall Insulation

We used the wall itself to trace all the void shapes onto a piece of 1/2" rigid pink insulation.
Here they are all cut out.
And this is all that was left of the 4x8 sheet.
Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby erfnie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 am

Skinning the Wall - The Inside Finish

We chose to finish the inside walls before attaching them to the floor/galley wall, thinking it'd be easier than trying to measure and cut around the galley parts later.
We used 1/8 ply for the inside finish. These pieces need to be pre-cut because the routed out edge on the wall skeleton frame wouldn't allow for trimming off later.
We cut the pieces in widths to stagger the seam so it didn't overlap the skeleton's seam starting with the curved galley end and front end.
We used some blue painter tape to mark the edges of all the holes so we knew where to place weights against the solid parts of the skeleton
and to avoid the voids while the glue dried.
Then each piece was glued down to the skeleton and we used whatever heavy things we could find in the garage to weight it down, including the kitchen err... stove :lol:
161318Image
In the meantime the template needed some repair. It broke on a weak part of the wood. All the splices held fine though! :thumbsup:
So we used the same drywall tape and glue method again to reinforce the broken and weak spots.
Lastly, the middle piece was attached after we first put a wire in place for the porch light switch.
The finished inside. (oops, didn't take the tape off yet)
And the outside with just the window trimmed out so far.
Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby erfnie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:22 am

The Galley Wall - Building some 3-Dimensions!

Before we could attach the sidewalls to the floor, we needed to have the main galley wall done to be able to support the sidewalls when we attach them. So sidewalls aside for now, we first put together two parts of the galley wall. One part is the main wall above the counter which will have a pass through window in it and be affixed to the sidewalls at this stage, and the other part is the section from the counter top down which we will wait to permanently install until later. This lower part will be removable until later in the build so we can... 1. poly all the inside easier; 2. keep the vinyl floor from getting dripped on and dirty; and 3.make it easier to install the vinyl later.
In order to measure for the galley wall, we had to prop the sidewalls in place tho.
ImageImage
Here is the lower galley section. There will be space for a sink, a pull-out stove, a pull-out cooler and a water tank behind it in the bump out, plus various storage spaces.
Here we are dry fitting the upper galley wall in place. It is a piece we spliced together just like the walls and floor.
It doesn't have the window cut out yet.
Upper galley wall now cut to size and cutting out the pass through window.
You can see the splice in the middle which will mostly be hidden by cabinet stuff later.
Now we can attach the sidewalls and upper galley wall all together with adhesive and screws.
What it looks like all together.
And from the inside. Here is a better view of the bump out mentioned earlier. It helped to hold the upper galley wall up
while we attached everything together. The lower galley section is completely removable at this point.
Once this all dries, we will slop the mix and some poly on all the walls and floor.
Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby erfnie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:30 am

Some Design Decisions

Before we started slopping on mix and all, it was time to think through some design choices going forward. These ideas have been simmering for awhile. :thinking:
I made several test boards with different combinations of stain and poly to see what they all looked like against some flooring and countertop samples.
A long while back, I found these stick on tiles that I thought would look cool somewhere in the galley and hope to use those too. In the end, we chose to go with
a washed grey looking stain for the cabinets and seat boxes. The walls will have a little of that mixed in with mostly poly. We'll figure out where to put the tiles
later after the galley cabinets are all in place. The floor is the rustic looking planks. It's sheet vinyl. The countertop will be laminate. It's lighter in tone with a grey color to it.
Now let's hope I don't change my mind. I've been known to do that! :?
Then thinking ahead to the roof frame construction, we made some templates of the curved front and the little bit of curved back (before the hatch starts)
out of scraps to make it easier to cut all the roof blocking pieces later.
ImageImage
Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby erfnie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:39 am

Stain and Poly on the Inside

Now that the main walls are up we pulled out the lower galley. And while the floor is still exposed and the walls are open and well ventilated, we slopped
several coats of mix on the floor and stain/varnish finishes on the walls.
The galley wall and most of the cabinetry will have a weathered grey color to it. You can see the roof spars in this picture but they are just sitting up there
out of the way for now (except one good bump of the wall and sometimes they came crashing down on us!)
:O
Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 am

You can see the roof spars in this picture but they are just sitting up there...

I was hoping that was the case... :frightened:

Are you going to varnish the headliner before you install it? (oh, please tell me yes!) ;)

Looking great. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby erfnie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 am

tony.latham wrote:Are you going to varnish the headliner before you install it? (oh, please tell me yes!) ;)

Umm... yes? I'm not quite sure what you mean by headliner? :NC
Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean by headliner?

Like the headliner in your car...

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby erfnie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Oh, now I get it. That's basically the roof - the underside of it, right? Just didn't know to call it that. Thanks for the video explanation. And to answer your question (with confidence now) yes, we do plan to build and poly that whole roof/headliner ;) separate, before it gets installed :thumbsup:
Erfnie (and Azua ;) )
"A Little Tearapy"
erfnie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby breb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:31 pm

look's good . Sometimes I spent to much time on the floor material , laminate for counter top or hardware for cabinets. After awhile just pick it out and install it. I did use several coats of the mix for the floor , exterior walls , inside the core of the ceiling , plus spars and top of plywood roof. You know it's easy to apply doesn't take long in-between coats. I did pay special attention to the plywood edges where I thought water intrusion would wreak havoc. I used a couple of pipe clamps to hold spars in place while dry fitting everything.
148765 148766

I didn't sit on a ledge with my spar. So I had to bump up against the core piece and shoot from the outside wall with accouple of screws. I made a jig for locating and positioning the spar and it worked well.
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:14 pm

I think I saw a video somewhere when the plywood headliner was installed with spars already glued to it... just a thought. It would require a careful dry fitting to be successful, of course.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 am

...we do plan to build and poly that whole roof/headliner ;) separate, before it gets installed :thumbsup:

Whew... I was gravely worried. :lol:

;)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:03 am

...we do plan to build and poly that whole roof/headliner ;) separate, before it gets installed :thumbsup:

* It's feasible to install an inner ceiling/headliner on a cargo trailer or teardrop with insulation, but of course, my uninsulated squareback TTT was done differently. The exterior was poly'd & painted and sealed-up long before I brought it home to my garage, where I had to address the completely empty/uncoated interior.

* As it so happened, I poly'd & painted the interior over a 4-day period in a severe cold-snap (cold for N.Texas), using a space heater to maintain the proper temperature. I would heat it up, then get inside and do a section, then withdraw and let it heat up again and cure/dry, then repeat. It was difficult to do in the cramped 4x8, especially the overhead work.

* The drips from my brush/rollers while completing the overhead work were a real problem, ruining one pair of glasses when I misplaced my safety glasses, and the clothes I was wearing, also were messed-up. My face was half-covered with a vapor-respirator (I wish I still had it, since the COVID-19 appeared), but my skin was dotted with droplets that I was able to clean off before they hardened.

* Next time (if ever) I need to paint inside a confined space, it'll be with full head-to-to-coverage.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals