Unamed build.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Unamed build.

Postby GTS225 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:02 am

Ok; Fairly well into my build, (finally), and have a very few pics to post for ridicule, if you're so inclined. Also a bit of an attempt at using something out-of-the-box for skinning mine.
Started with a self-built frame of 2"x2" box tubing rescued from the scrap dumpster at work, with locally sourced spindles and hubs. Frame is 5'x8', and the walls are 5'x10', allowing a 12" overhang front and back. The overhang areas will be utilized as storage in the rear, with cubby-holes front, accessible from the cabin area. There is a bit of (currently) wasted space lower and upper in front. Walls are 1/2 ply, spline jointed in the center to make the 10' length. (Could only get 5'x5' locally, and that from my former employer.)
Without further boring ado, I present;
Attachments
Teardrop 1.jpg
Front quartering shot, Sorry for the confinement pic, but this should give you an idea of the overall profile. There's dividers to go in that front wall to compartmentalize those openings.
Teardrop 1.jpg (210.12 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Last edited by GTS225 on Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Re: Unamed build.

Postby GTS225 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:08 am

From the rear. Front is compartmentalized and closed up. still need some finish work on the openings. Galley work just getting started. Please forgive the construction mess in the foreground.
Attachments
teardrop 2.jpg
teardrop 2.jpg (148.5 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Last edited by GTS225 on Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby GTS225 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:23 am

Second front quartering shot. Front closed up. I'm trying something a little different for the skin around the radii. That's.........yep, sonotube. The cardboard tubing used for casting concrete pillars and pylons. Figure I'll be sealing it all up with PMF, and the wall thickness is almost 5/16" for the 36" dia, and 1/4" for the 24"dia. Rather solid curvatures at this point. We'll see how well it works out in the long haul. A bit spendy up front, but it saved so much time over kerf-cutting ply and maybe not getting a smooth curve profile. Plan on 1/4" ply for the rest of the roof, and my venting will be high in the walls, rather than through the roof. I'm a bit shy about having holes in the roof. I'll be using deck plates with clear inserts for windows and venting, but also have manufactured windows for the door cutouts. No insulation, as I have no plans to use it during cooler weather.
Oh, that hatch in the front will be a battery compartment. Looking into an AGM. That should go well with a solar panel for daytime recharging. Figure battery lanterns and small propane cooktop out of the galley, and the only real electrical load will be my CPAP during the night. The rest will be "semi-primitive", if there's such a term.

Roger
Attachments
teardrop 3.jpg
teardrop 3.jpg (181.6 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Last edited by GTS225 on Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby GTS225 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 am

Hmmmm. Guess I should down-size my pics a little.......Sorry.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:18 am

Good idea using Sonotubes for the curves. I would soak them with something (epoxy, "the mix"), especially the edges, to make sure they don't absorb moisture and swell over time.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Build Journals