redneck truck camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

redneck truck camper

Postby MudFlap » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 am

Hello all.

I've been camping in a Ford E150 cargo van for years.

Problems:

1. Too small. After cramming in a queen sized bed, there is precious little room for much else. I am tall, and can't possibly stand up in this van. I'm tired of getting dressed while laying on the bed!
2. No insulation. Of course a van is an oven during the summer. So we are cold weather campers and camp right through winter where overnight temps in the teens are common. We frequently wake up to ice on the inside of the van windows!

Solution: build a well insulated truck camper!

Camper is framed with 2x2s, 2x3s, and (in the roof) 2x4s. Skinned with 3/8" AC exterior ply.

That's heavier than normal framing, but the 1.5" members allow for 1.5" Rmax r-matte foam insulation (R10) in the walls and traditional 3.5" FG insulation (R13) in the ceiling.

I have a spreadsheet where I've tracked all of the material that's gone into the camper and so far, I'm at about 900lbs. I guess that's more than most on this forum would want, but I really wanted to allow for decent insulation, and with my plans for the interior being very basic, I don't anticipate weight being a problem given the payload of my truck.

I guess this will count as my "build". Off to the "skinning secrets" thread for questions about my next step!
Last edited by MudFlap on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MudFlap
Teardrop Inspector

Re: redneck truck camper

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Wo... Did we go different directions for the same thing! : :o

Ya, I wanted that same standee, but not the height... :)

My build thread is here http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=72408
I have this feeling you and I may just have some reason to share some thoughts.

Love the build!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MudFlap » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 pm

Hey RJ

Wow, your build is very nice. Great job.

Oh, I guess I could have taken the time, and trouble to you know: do a good job. I decided instead to go with the tried and true, low tech "Garden Shed" approach. =)

Wow, I'm sure you know more than I do that you can sure burn up a lot of hours playing around with SketchUp. I drew up the rough framing of my camper and my flatbed on SketchUp, then did a virtual test fit of the two together, then married that to a drawing of "my" truck. A great way to spend a cold winter day!

Best of luck with the rest of your build. Again, it is very impressive!
Last edited by MudFlap on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MudFlap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:15 am

Truth! I spend many a cold day on Sketchup.. I'm still working out folding (or fold up) steps. I did do a small landing (I call my deck), actually a fixed step and figuring I attach something to that. I can't slide under the bed, that's where the spare tire is so limited depth. You at that point yet?

Love to see your design inside! I changed my thoughts on the refrigerator from upright to chest style (just bought one on sale) and so far really like how it tests out on DC. My original thought was a upright propane like I used to have in my commercial trailler. Have you decided which direction or if your doing one?

I'll be watching as you proceed! Huh, and you thought yours was redneck.. :lol:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Build Journals