My Original 1940's Midget Streamlined Trailer Restoration

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My Original 1940's Midget Streamlined Trailer Restoration

Postby Arizona ALLUN » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:30 pm

Hello All,

A couple of years ago I purchased an original 1940's Midget Streamlined Trailer (like the one as shown in the 1940 February and March issues of the Popular Mechanics Magazine). I didn't know that it was in the magazine until after I bought the trailer and did some research. I just thought it was cute. I wanted something a little bigger than a traditional teardrop but smaller than a typical stand up small trailer. As you know this one fits the bill just right. It is 6 feet wide, 9 feet long (not including the tongue) and 5' tall on the inside.

I was shocked and happily surprised when I saw that the trailer I bought is almost an exact copy of what is show in the magazine, from its icebox, stainless sink, three burner stove top and cabinets. The one difference is that the magazine shows a bed on the inside, mine had a dinette/bed conversion done to it in the 50's or sixties.

I have seen another trailer on this site that was built from the plans about 12 years ago, but I don't remember the builder off hand. It was that green and white one. Beautiful job by the way.

I bought the trailer with the full intent of restoring/rebuilding it. I have been video recording the entire process and am uploading them to Youtube once a week. If you would like to watch the process please jump over and take a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH95X9o_0Fc&t=24s or search for Fur in the Fan.

So far I just have the Introduction video uploaded but at this point I have disassembled the entire trailer down to the floor and video taped around seven chapters showing the process and comparing the existing camper to the one in the magazine.

The plan forward is to rebuild the camper so it will go down the road without leaving pieces of it all over the road. I will be adding steel to the main trailer frame. As you will see if you are familiar with the Midget, the frame is mostly of wood. I will be adding steel to make a firm strong base. The egg wood frame was just like it was in the magazine 1 1/4x1" with lap joints. That was really cool to see and compare to the magazine. At 35 miles an hour it was fine in the 1940s but not at todays speeds. My plan is to follow the inspiration of the green and white builder and build a laminated 2" glued frame. I know it isn't in keeping with the restoration theme, but the frame needs to be strong and I think this is the way to do it for this trailer.

That is my introduction for now. I look forward to learning from you all on this site.

Mike
Arizona ALLUN
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My Original 1940's Midget Streamlined Trailer Restoratio

Postby Greg M » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 am

Alright, I’m ready for the next video 8)
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Re: My Original 1940's Midget Streamlined Trailer Restoratio

Postby Arizona ALLUN » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Your wait is over, I just uploaded the first Chapter in Part 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M77Hzt6pdMc
This chapter is the first of eight more as the disassembly continuous.
Arizona ALLUN
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals