SlumberMax 12 year refurb

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

SlumberMax 12 year refurb

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:23 am

It's been 12 years since the SlumberMax was built. It has gone from Alaska to Louisianna and from Michigan to California. It's getting a little tired and is ready for some new finish, paint and tires. Here it is circa 2009/

And here is is now as I've started sanding and disassembly...

A couple things I've found out about the test of time.

On the hatch and over the roof, I used 4 oz glass, MAS epoxy and shot it with auto clear coat. 12 years later, it still retains its shine, has very little sun damage, and a couple spots from water damage. I will clean it up, paint the roof rack, and probably re-shoot it with clear. All in all...the fiberglass, epoxy, auto clear coat has withstood the test of time very, very well.

On the sides, the wood strips did not get glass, but were epoxied and spar varnished. Some of the wood strips have opened over time and the varnish is tired. Hind sight says I should have glassed the sides for stability when it was built. Anyway, the sides will get stripped down, filled, and finished with new epoxy and varnish.

The fiberglass fenders have been repainted several times due to rock chips. They will get new paint and protection. The trailer gets new wheels, tires, and I've already replaced the hub seals and greased the bearings.

I'm looking forward to spending some time with eveyone as the SlumberMax get a refurb. It's nice to see all my TD friends still building and sharing!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: SlumberMax 12 year refurb

Postby OP827 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:28 am

Great information, thanks for sharing! I have fiberglass over foam then automotive paint and clear top coat and now I am more certain that my build will also stand the test of time.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:38 am

Nice to see you, Dave. So glad the Slumbermax has stood the test of time and miles.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby nevadatear » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:16 pm

Always been my all time favorite build. Got to see it in person at the last Redwoods Gathering. Glad to see it is getting a reboot and still on the road!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:50 pm

Nice hearing from everyone too. The refurb is coming along, but it's taking some time to get it into the shape. I forgot how much sanding and varnishing goes into one of these!
:roll:
Juneaudave

Postby classic2cv » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:08 am

wow nice to see your SlumberMax is still doing well and still in good nick
good luck with your refurb and hope that you don't find too many problems

we have always wanted to build a copy of yours but we would have to make a lightweight version for our little car
how much does it weigh ? ;)
classic2cv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:44 pm

classic2cv wrote:we have always wanted to build a copy of yours but we would have to make a lightweight version for our little car
how much does it weigh ? ;)

I hope someone does make a copy sometime. I think it is around 1800 lbs....but I'm not sure. It could be lighter, but I overbuilt like a lot of first time builders. We have hauled it quite a bit with my wife's Honda Element so its not too bad.

Anyway, I finished up refurbing the roof rack. It was made out of 1 inch electrical conduit that is fitted and welded at the joints. Over the twelves years of service, it has held up well without any cracking or paint loss on the frame and has hauled quite a bit of firewood and stuff like that. I'm calling it a success for light duty use...

The only thing that failed on the roof rack really was the finish on the ash wooden slats. They did not receive a seal coat layer of epoxy under the finish when I built it...and I think the finish might have been a cheaper poly of some sort, but I can't remember. The finish failed on the vertical surfaces (edges) and turned black. Just goes to show the value of not cutting corners on wood finishes. The refurb included sanding them down and application of three coats of Man O War Spar Varnish. I've had pretty good success with good marine spar but, like anything, it will need to be kept up over time.

The rack itself got a cleaning and new paint (Restoration Shop Acrylic Urethane Royal Maroon) and new pipe insulation for the top rails. The old pipe insulation turned chalky from exposure.

Juneaudave

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Finished up on the refurb. Hubs greased, new wheels and tires, fenders, frame and roof rack painted, swap for 4 to 7 prong tow plug, hatch lifts reinforced, and lots of new varnish and auto clear. It wqsn't too bad for 12 years old but it is nice to have that backlog of maintenance completed.

Juneaudave

Postby TimC » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:33 pm

Gorgeous! You are a top notch craftsman.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:37 pm

:thumbsup: Looks Grand! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:48 pm

Wow Dave, looks like new again.
The Purple Heart still looks purple.
My shop tool box I made of Purple Heart in 1994 has turned brown from the shop lights.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:06 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Wow Dave, looks like new again.
The Purple Heart still looks purple.
My shop tool box I made of Purple Heart in 1994 has turned brown from the shop lights.
:D Danny

The top and hatch were glassed (so they stayed sealed) but the sides were just epoxied and varnished and some of the strips opened up. I had to take the sides down to bare wood to fill cracks those cracks. That's why the purple heart is purple again! I've had my fill of sanding and varnishing for this go around.
Juneaudave

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 pm

She’s looking spectacular!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:17 pm

Beautiful work Dave. 8)

Happy camping this summer. Maybe we'll see you again along the trail.

Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue May 04, 2021 6:30 pm

still the prettiest woody ever.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Build Journals