Build Journal - Low cost build in Scotland UK

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Build Journal - Low cost build in Scotland UK

Postby ScottyDog » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 am

Hi I'm Scott.

I started my trailer build over a week ago but I've only just got round to starting my build journal now.

I've attached a photo of my current status. Which is a fully built trailer chassis, with wheels, temporary lights, coupler and jocky wheel.

The reason I put temporary lights on was so I could use it to go and pick up the larger sheet materials I need to build it with! I got the idea from someone on this forum (sorry forgot who you are but thank you!).

Annoyingly the timber merchent only had 6 or 10 4.8m lengths of 3 by 2 so I'll have to pick up some shorter 2.4m lengths from the local B&Q (your version of home depot).

And yes I should have cleaned out my workshop before I tried to bung the trailer in it :lol: That's my job for tonight, tidy up the work shop, organise all my tools, create a nice working space ready for tomorrow.

I'll put up a separate post to show how I built the trailer so far (I'm still getting used to how the posting works).
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-06 at 17.22.17.jpeg
Current status!
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-06 at 17.22.17.jpeg (200.03 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
ScottyDog
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Build Journal - Low cost build in Scotland UK

Postby ScottyDog » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:59 am

I've hit "post reply" so hopefully this is the right way to use the forum.

I have attached a load of photos of the build so far.

I MIG welded the chasis with 1mm wire in my friends workshop (his workshop is better than mine and his MIG welder is a dream). The steel place cut the steel to length for me, I only had to grind the angle cuts at the tip of the A frame tounge.
It is mostly made from 80mm x 40mm box section, the axel and tounge straight piece is 50mm x 50mm box section. The thickness is 3mm. It is standard mild steel, nothing fancy.

I did the calculations myself (I am an Engineer) to verify this is strong enough. It is about 5x stonger than it needs to be, but heck, I wanted it to look strong :D

The two long beams have open ends. I have bungs to fit in the open ends to stop water getting in. I'll drill a couple of holes on the under side so any water getting in can get out.

I sprayed it with a red oxide paint then a black enamel paint over that. The enamel paint scracthes, it's a temporary coating. I plan to sand back and spray Raptor Bed Liner onto it when I put the camper section on, I've read good things about raptor and it's quite economical.

The coupler, jocky wheel, suspension and 13" wheels all came as a "750kg unbraked trailer kit" it came with the 8 hole mounting plates for the suspension which I welded onto the axel. After than everything bolted on easy. Had to drill a few holes into my new chasis though :cry:

This is a 3m x 1.5m trailer (from wheel to wheel its actually 2m wide). The tounge is 0.9m (it has to be atleast half the length of the towing vehicle). Total length with the tongue is 3.9m
So far I estimate the weight to be 100kg or less.
It actually tows like a dream and I had to reverse it at the timber merchant and back into my driveway and it handled really well. The towing height is spot on too, the back end is up ever so slightly but once the weight of the camper is on it I'm sure it will be almost perfectly level.

I put temporary lighting on it (the lights came with the kit and will be the final ones I mount to the camper) so I could use it on the road for now. I was easy enough to solder some 12V wiring onto each bulb connector. and trace back to a wiring block (not really waterproof at this point!) then down a 7-core tailer cable to a 7-pin plug. Luckily I had wire, soldering stuff from an old project. I used an old peice of wood to screw the lights onto and I cable tied the wiring on. I used a couple of ratchet straps to attach the light board as I don't want to drill holes into my chassis yet.

That's it so far.

If you have any quesitons about the materials I used or how I designed this trailer just ask!
Attachments
MIG welding the frame.jpeg
MIG welding the frame.jpeg (192.81 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Laying out steel on a flat-ish surface.jpeg
Laying out steel on a flat-ish surface.jpeg (179.18 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Just got home with the steel for the trailer.jpeg
Just got home with the steel for the trailer.jpeg (211.35 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
ScottyDog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ScottyDog » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:01 pm

More photos
Attachments
useable trailer - no lights yet.jpeg
useable trailer - no lights yet.jpeg (233.04 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Wheels on.jpeg
Wheels on.jpeg (184.32 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Spraying red oxide first then enamel black paint.jpeg
Spraying red oxide first then enamel black paint.jpeg (154.64 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
ScottyDog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:01 pm

ScottyDog wrote:I did the calculations myself (I am an Engineer) to verify this is strong enough. It is about 5x stonger than it needs to be, but heck, I wanted it to look strong :D

Welcome to the fun.
A Scottish Engineer in a boiler suit - I will be following this build with great interest, builds from the frozen north seem rather rare.

You did the calcs yourself?
Brace yourself for lots of requests for advice. :lol:
80 x 40 x 3mm is about 5x stronger than necessary - a major contribution to the knowledge base right there.

I'm interested to see the use of those suspension units. I've always wondered how much twisting force the impart to the mounting plate and crossmember. Any commentary?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:16 pm

That's a fine-looking chassis.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby hossesdad » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:44 pm

neat and simple chassis. I was born in Findhorn, live in NZ. My two cents is, put in lots of insulation. We ski from our build and are warm at freezing temps without heating. By the look of your snow, you may want 2" of xps all over! Its equally good in the summer for keeping the heat out...with open windows and a bit of breeze, we are comfy in full sunlight (and NZ sunlight is powerful stuff) But admittedly small spaces are easy to heat if you don't go for full insulation :D
hossesdad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rjgimp » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:09 am

ScottyDog wrote:...at the timber merchant...

:lol: I guess that might be the "lumber yard" here in the States?

Two nations separated by a common language... :R

Nice work so far! :thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby ScottyDog » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:41 am

Thanks guys for the replies !

I am hoping to put up my plans today or tomorrow (mostly hand drawn sketches!). Also a little different to the traditional shape, but I'll explain why!

I'll try an answer some of your questions.

Rjgimp - Yes! Timber Merchent = Lumber Yard. Americans always make everything sound way cooler 8)

Hossesdad - Great advice I am planning to use XPS 50mm or 60mm sheet (haven't decided yet), sorry you may have to get used to the metric units but 2" is approx 55mm so close enough! I would actually love to go to New Zealand someday, you guys have great skiing too which makes me so jealous !

MickinOz - I'm happy to help where I can, I have gotten so much from this forum, I spent hours and hours/days reading and planning before buying my first length of steel! 80mm x 40mm (or 3" by 2" which is close enough) box will be strong enough for most TD dimensions and weights. It will depend on the weight, loads, dimesions etc. However most of the guys on here are building 750kg / 1500lb unbraked trailers, mostly 10ft by 8ft, which means you can't really get that heavy or long (for bending). In theory you could go as low as 2" by 2" angle section but in Scotland we have a lot of bumpy old country roads so I designed mine for dynamic loading.

The suspension came as a kit, so I put my faith into the manufacturer that they will perform as rated (750kg in this case). As you have said, my concern also was the connection of the reciever plate onto the axel. I fillet welded this on, as the 50mm x 50mm box for the axle is only 3mm thick the penetration of the weld is really good, I had to be careful I did not bend the axle due the the heat of welding. The connection between the reciever plate and the supsension unit itself is 8 bolts. As for the twist they impart on the frame, in theory you don't need an axle for these units, but I opted for an axle as I wanted any twising forces to be assisted by a box section in the plane of the torsion rather than just rely on the larger frame. You will find that I like to beef things up a little more than they need. If you have any specific quesitons just let me know. I'm learning as I go but if I figure something out and can save others time I'll do my best to help out.

PS - I was taking the photos so the guy in the boiler suit is a good friend of mine who has a better welder than me and a paint sprayer, but he ended up helping out because he loves DIY stuff (he is also a better welder so I asked him to do the tricky ones :R ). The trailer is back in my own shop now, ready for the next phase!
ScottyDog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:32 am

ScottyDog wrote: I would actually love to go to New Zealand someday, you guys have great skiing too which makes me so jealous !

Go! Tell your travel agent to steer you away from the touristy places and the major cities (although the National Museum in Wellington is beautiful) and see the country side. New Zealand is a beautiful place. The people are really nice.
The Maoris apparently have some social problems, but all I saw were the most welcoming people I've ever met.
We drove ourselves, but we took a guided day coach trip around Hokianga Harbour in the north.
The bus stopped for a lunch break at a little village near the entrance to the Harbour.
There was a very large Maori gent fishing from the little jetty. He was a somewhat intimidating looking individual, but I figured I'd lead with the traditional, "How's the fishing today, mate?"
A pleasant chat ensued, about wetting the line while he was waiting to pick the kids up from school, his brother catching a 6 kg snapper the day before, sights not to be missed in the local area.
The bus driver blew the horn and I had to go. But not without a handshake, a thank you for visiting his country, and a prayer for a safe journey.
It's a lovely place. The roads are a little intimidating, but if you are used to Scottish country roads......
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 am

rjgimp wrote:
ScottyDog wrote:...at the timber merchant...

:lol: I guess that might be the "lumber yard" here in the States?

Two nations separated by a common language... :R

Nice work so far! :thumbsup:

NICELY PUT ;-)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby ScottyDog » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:11 am

Hi, just a quick update to let you know I've been busy with work and the usual life stuff, but I did make some progress on the camper floor which I will post up soon. Quite a few head scratcher moments about the order of things. What I can say is I have now decided to build my camper shell separate to the trailer (on top but not connected). This will allow me to screw it all together real strong, I'm then going to raise the completed external shell up off the trailer for fibre glassing, this will allow me to glass right down the the floor and overlap under the floor. I will also fill all of the countersunk screw holes on the floor with thickened epoxy. I'll also fill the seam between the marine ply floor sheets with thickened epoxy and glass tape. Then I am planning to us Raptor bed liner to coat the floor and overlap a little bit onto the side walls for a good water tight seal. Then I will bolt the shell to the trailer and use lots of silicone around the bolt hole. That's the plan anyway! It's -10 Degrees here in Scotland today, so it is going to be a while before I can epoxy, I'm looking at getting a diesel space heater for the shop though so when I do epoxy it can keep it nice and warm regardless of the weather outside.

MickinOz - great advice regarding NZ, nice to hear !!
ScottyDog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:24 pm

Any updates mate?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:05 am

Bump. Keen to see some progress.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:00 pm

Where is ScottyDog?
I do hope the dreaded 'rona hasn't bitten him?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Build Journals