Five plus dogs - 15.5x7.5 Camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Five plus dogs - 15.5x7.5 Camper

Postby iconicflux » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:18 am

Looks like another post I was putting up to start a build journal got eaten so here I am again.

Working on a 15.5x7.5' camper that can both lift (so it can fit under a 7' tall garage door) and has a very large slideout.

Currently my floorplan & wall plan looks a bit like this:
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.42.35 PM.png
floorplan as of now
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.42.35 PM.png (402.55 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

I may see about redoing the walls as being *mostly* a foamie though. Estimated weight with the walls, floor, top, & frame is just under 2k lbs for a tow vehicle rated for 3500. I could possibly shave off 400 lbs or more by switching to foamie instead of studded out foam filled w/ plywood. (Seriously, it's the plywood that's a killer with regards to weight.)

(Changed the name because my wife and middle child have been calling it that and making jokes about me building a built-in hammock stand and having to sleep outside.)
Last edited by iconicflux on Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Re: My Canned Ham

Postby rjgimp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:33 am

SaweeeeeeeeT!

I am also planning a build on a 7' x 14' platform. I will be watching this unfold with great eagerness! 8)
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby iconicflux » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Sweet dude! I figured out today that I can hang the queen bed instead of making it a wall-bed and thus gain storage in the dinette. So I'm going to be using Racor lifts. Doing this also allows me to curve the trailer to help with Wind.

Do you know what kind of exteriors you're going to use for walls? I'm leaning towards FIlon or Adzel.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rjgimp » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm

I am planning on PMF exterior for a few specific reasons...

1) I am no craftsman and that method appears to be the most idiot proof.
:oops:
B) I am not much concerned with a fine mirror finish and have little confidence in my ability to create one due to my above mentioned shortcoming, and of all the types of skins I am aware of PMF has the potential to look the least bad when applied by an incompetent dufus like myself.
:R
Fourthly, PMF can easily be repaired in the field if need be with tools and supplies that would fit in an ice cream pail.
:thumbsup:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby iconicflux » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 am

I *really* like PMF but I've never seen it done where I thought my wife would be happy with the looks. Has anyone managed to figure out how to do it so it's not bubbly with areas that are doubled up on edges that can't be hidden?

If I could figure out how to do PMF and get it past my wife's "Yeah, that looks good" approval then I'd be all for it.

rjgimp wrote:I am planning on PMF exterior for a few specific reasons...

1) I am no craftsman and that method appears to be the most idiot proof.
:oops:
B) I am not much concerned with a fine mirror finish and have little confidence in my ability to create one due to my above mentioned shortcoming, and of all the types of skins I am aware of PMF has the potential to look the least bad when applied by an incompetent dufus like myself.
:R
Fourthly, PMF can easily be repaired in the field if need be with tools and supplies that would fit in an ice cream pail.
:thumbsup:
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rjgimp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Have you looked through the build threads or photo galleries of GPW or ghcoe? They both have built multiple trailers with PMF over foam and although a rough texture their finishes appear smooth and even. Do you (or your wife) have any bit of an artistic flair? The finished surface of PMF is obviously exactly the same thing as a painter's canvas. The only difference is that it might be on a curved surface or an odd angle, rather than on an easel stretched in a frame. You can paint a mural or an irregular pattern and cover up any flaws in the surface. Look at what GPW did inside the nose of his Foamstream!
:applause:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:48 pm

Check out A Canned Ham In Foam. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=62527&start=225 He built it with 2" foam and PMF about six years ago. His exterior finish is outstanding.
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby iconicflux » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Update:

Went to check out some of the trailers today and discovered that one of the Coleman's is actually a 15' trailer. Should be getting that one as soon as I can get them to strip it.

If anyone else here is looking for inexpensive trailers for their build, hit me up. This place has a number of 9-11' trailers and I'm happy to go inspect them for you.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TwilaR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:12 am

iconicflux wrote:Update:

Went to check out some of the trailers today and discovered that one of the Coleman's is actually a 15' trailer. Should be getting that one as soon as I can get them to strip it.

If anyone else here is looking for inexpensive trailers for their build, hit me up. This place has a number of 9-11' trailers and I'm happy to go inspect them for you.

What area are you in?
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Postby iconicflux » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Frederick, Maryland

Some of these trailers look a little rough, like they're structurally sound but need wire brushing and rustoleum painting but other than that they're good.

TwilaR wrote:
iconicflux wrote:Update:

What area are you in?
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 15.5x7.5 Camper

Postby iconicflux » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Today I ordered:
1. Steel to make the trailer
2. Wheels/tires
3. Electrical parts for the trailer
4. Timbren 3500 lbs 4" drop axle-less suspension

I have a Lincoln 120 that I borrowed from a friend but I think I'm going to need a better welder (a 240v) in order to do 3/16" in one pass.

I'm currently looking for a pro to do the critical welds on the frame.

Parts I've acquired so far:
1. solar panels
2. charge controller
3. batteries (on the way from china)
4. water pump
5. oven
6. fridge
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby stcyrwm » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Also following this closely. I am looking at starting a build in the next couple months. I was thinking 6 or 7 x 12 with a pop top and maybe a rear slideout.

Do you have mechanicals figured out at all for pop up and slide outs?

Congratulations on getting started!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby iconicflux » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 pm

stcyrwm wrote:Also following this closely. I am looking at starting a build in the next couple months. I was thinking 6 or 7 x 12 with a pop top and maybe a rear slideout.

Do you have mechanicals figured out at all for pop up and slide outs?

Congratulations on getting started!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you're near me there's a guy near Columbia with a 13' camper skeleton that he already put a torsion axle and fenders on. I was going to buy it from him but he took the electric brake hubs off it and I didn't see flanges for putting them back on. Between that and adding a little more length to it I figured the cost vs effort just didn't work out for me but it looks really nice. If you're keeping it smaller then you likely wouldn't need them and could go with no electric brakes.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iconicflux » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:23 pm

Got some of the steel delivered yesterday. Unfortunately, they're still out one of the main rails so I haven't been able to get started with welding yet.

Ordered the windows today so I can get them in plenty of time.

Looks like the axle should show up about April 4th.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iconicflux » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:26 am

Supposed to have the rest of the steel delivered today.

Been making more purchases of things to integrate into the RV.
Stuff like:
Shower pan
30 gal grey water tank
40 gal fresh water tank
1.5" dump valve

Why so early?

So I can figure out the plumbing as I'm building and reinforcing the floor and undercarriage to hold the tanks.

Should start cutting the steel to size tomorrow.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals