Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity TearDrop Build

Postby GarthB » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:16 am

The contrast between the black box and the diamond plate looks sharp. :thumbsup:

I can don't blame you a bit for not wanting to put any additional holes through your precious walls. I made the same decision for the same reason. So far, popping the hatch to connect to the charger hasn't been a hindrance. It has only needed to be connected to the charger when in the garage. I haven't closed the lid with the chord running into the galley yet, but I'm sure it would be fine. Long term, maybe it would deform a seal. It wouldn't be much of a chore to replace it every now and then though if it wore out. Drilling through the floor would probably receive my first consideration if I ever decided to do an outside port.
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Thanks Garth,
I’m liking the look but I really like the look of yours too.

I was thinking you felt the same about not punching another hole. I am considering using the same fitting to come up through the bottom I was going to use in the side. That would be an easy fix if I ultimately didn’t like it.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:48 am

Not much to report as I just recently returned from out of town.

Still trying to catch my breath from the most recent purchases.

I spent a week trying to find a 11 lb propane bottle for less than a hundred. They show up on-line but end up being back ordered or shipping is substantial. Finally the propane service company that delivers our propane called and said they had just received one. A fair chunk of change beyond $100. It worked out okay as they dropped it off from the next town over and measured out the run and needed fittings for the Propex heater hook-up. They are dropping off the hose today as they have a service call out to ranch near me.

Oh, and of course I need a rack to hold it. Maybe it is the effects of COVID but with shipping north of $150.

Next was my order from the Foam Factory. I didn’t cut corners there either, following the lead of a couple respected members feedback to others on this site. However, I need three panels to work with my drop floor. I went with a twill cover for it. Their price was less than half of the two quotes I received from a couple other mattress makers and just under $800. To attempt to quote Tony who says something like “you are building a rolling bed, it ought to be comfortable.”

If this is the price one pays living away from big cities it is well worth it but I would like to think I have most items covered/purchased now. Again I think COVID has impacted availability and pricing. I am not complaining but think it is of value to note.

Another item I covered since returning home is insuring my build for $12,000 at what I would consider for a very reasonable cost per year. I will re-evaluate that when I finally sit down with my receipts. I am a bit curious what amount others insure for but the process was painless.
Last edited by western traveler on Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:59 am

6594_1550058241972578_234523465872694704_n.jpg
6594_1550058241972578_234523465872694704_n.jpg (22.45 KiB) Viewed 594 times

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby western traveler » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:40 pm

I like that woody!
In the marine industry we said, a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into…or “a million here and a million there and pretty soon you’re talking some real money!”
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 pm

Moving along.
Today I secured the battery in the center bay of the galley and finished out my “temporary” panel. Behind the sliding panel is a 30amp main breaker, the main battery switch, a spare set of wires back to my fuse block and the battery charger. On the face of the panel is the voltage meter, an on/off switch to cut power to the Propex heater and a double USB.
I hope I haven’t made a mistake using a breaker rather that a fuse to the main fuse block.

I received my propane rack today. I mounted the 11# bottle and ran the propane line back to the heater. Yesterday I secured the intake and exhaust lines to it. Also the ducts. I thought the supplier had shorted me a reducer but on reading the installation pamphlet they only supply one. I used aluminum ducting tape on the air return side. Somehow my wire run to the thermostat in the cabin got sucked up so a very unsightly wire run there. I hope to test the heater tomorrow.
Last edited by western traveler on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 pm

western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:05 am

I fired up the Propex 2000 heater yesterday. I did install the silencer kit with it. Using the directions provided for startup. I cannot believe how simple this entire install was. It is no noisier than heaters I have had in other travel trailers and I am confident I can sleep through the hum. I will definitely be printing out a small card with letters big enough to read depicting the face of my thermostat until I get used to it. It is different than the others I have seen posted on-line. There are no knobs. Just an LED readout and a few small buttons.
I hope to fit in a shakedown trip by late next week. It needs to fit between the Airbnb cabin guests we entertain on our property.
Last edited by western traveler on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:12 am

I cannot believe how simple this entire install was.

And I can't believe how much we use ours.

Most of the time, we'll crank ours up while going to bed and then again in the morning. And that's nearly all summer long. We're headed out tomorrow (for probably the last) big grand adventure and I'm sure we'll get good use out of ours. :D

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:15 pm

Tony,
Have fun on your trip. I hope to test mine this week in Glacier (My mattress is supposed to arrive on Monday).
I finally took the TD on a public road for the first time today. Just a short trip into town to see how she tracks and if she would bounce down the dirt roads. Not a problem for the 4 miles of them I traveled.
Plan on driving a few towns over tomorrow to a scale to get it’s weight.
I’ve just been tightening things up that have been pushed aside for a while.
I did mount the removable table with an adjustable leg today to get a feel for how it will work. I will know more when the mattress arrives.
I don’t know when I will get the exterior trim back to install but it is camp-able even without it. 167370
Last edited by western traveler on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:19 pm

I think this is going to work.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:36 pm

western traveler wrote:167371167372167373

I think this is going to work.

That's quite the leg. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:19 pm

tony.latham wrote:
western traveler wrote:I think this is going to work.

That's quite the leg. :thumbsup:
Tony

Tony, it has a better finish and is more stable than I expected. Think I’m going to be happy with it.
Last edited by western traveler on Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:35 pm

After a trip to a certified farm scale yesterday a few towns away that gave me a ridiculously low weight for my trailer (700#) I made another trip today to a Great Falls truck stop that had a CAT scale. Should have just kept driving there yesterday.

Gross weight is 1,380 pounds. As a recap that is with using Tony.Latham’s trailer plans and 1/4” 2X2 square stock (only steel available here at the time), a Dexter TorFlex axle with electric brakes and down rated to 1800# and 15” tires.

I feel I will be able to stay at a comfortable weight below that but might have gone to 2000# knowing this now but I’ve done 12 miles of rutted dirt roads the last three days. The trailer is riding good.

Oh, and I gave my first official Tear Tour to a stranger in town.
Last edited by western traveler on Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:07 pm

I installed the mattress yesterday and it is expanding nicely. It is very comfortable so far but I will wait until I finally spend a few nights to give it a thumbs up (the seams are not noticeable at all).
Though I don’t anticipate setting up the settee on a regular basis, more to sit out bad weather, it is very comfortable. The adjustable leg is handy.
western traveler
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals