CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby Bezoar » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:20 pm

Looking good! I really like your custom made junction box.
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:04 pm

August 27.2021

Bezoar wrote:ooking good! I really like your custom made junction box.

Thank you Bezoar!

Yesterday masked off the laminate and some other areas and started spraying the cabinetry with urethane clear satin. Probably a few more coats tomorrow.
Next up is to install all the electrical components I've been gathering, as it will be easier to install that setup prior to installing the other sidewall.
Attachments
clear coat.jpg
clear coat.jpg (312.68 KiB) Viewed 885 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:57 pm

August 31, 2021

Yesterday installed the other side wall assembly. This side went a bit smoother than the first side.

IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5607.JPG (134.18 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Also started to install the electronics and wiring. This area is not my "strong point" but after ruminating about it for, what seems like, a couple of months.... I think I have it figured correctly, hopefully. I probably could have done it a simpler way, but this is what it is. Still waiting for some 10AGW to finish wiring up the solar controller back to the bus bar. Also just ordered the battery. At least I'll be able to check all the fixtures as I get the wiring to them.
IMG_5610.JPG
IMG_5610.JPG (121.83 KiB) Viewed 840 times

IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_5608.JPG (107.4 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Now that I've got the 2 sidewalls up I think tomorrow I'll start working on the bed/couch assembly. I have the folding sections ready, just need to install some delrin slides and oak guides.

Thanks for looking.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:53 pm

You are doing a pretty good job with that wiring. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:43 am

pchast wrote:You are doing a pretty good job with that wiring.

Thank you for the encouragement, Pete.

Here's one additional pict of the galley area. Installed the battery and solar monitors, a 12V/USB plug and the light switch which will control the hatch door lighting.
All the wiring was inserted within the wall sections when the side wall assembly was constructed and connects to the BlueSeas fuse box/distribution panel.....
waiting to get connected to the individual appliances.

IMG_5612.jpg
IMG_5612.jpg (323.79 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Two wires I forgot to include in the wall assembly were the wires that go to the monitors. :x I had to gingerly route out a channel
through the ends of the plywood cabinetry and snake the wires through the channel before installing the side wall.
routed channel.jpg
routed channel.jpg (196.61 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:33 am

Good recovery John. We've all had similar problems. Fortunately the meter wires are very small. If they are like mine (from the shunt) I used a 2 pair 22awg telecom bundle.

You're making good progress. Are you aiming for a particular "finish date"? Any chance you'll get out before spring?

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:08 am

TimC wrote:Good recovery John.

The story of my life, and at times, not necessarily good recovery :frightened:
But thank you for your comments, Tim. As said before, it would be great to just use this build as an experiment, and then build the real thing (learning from my errors, trials and tribulations).

I do not have a "finish date".... but hopefully will get the project to a point where I can take it out by the spring. It may not be 100% done but may be able to take it out for a test drive.
My work space (aka: my garage) is not heated, so I'll see how long I can work in there through the winter.

Hope your battery build is going well.

Regards
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:03 am

Capebuild wrote:...

John

Battery is going well. I'll report back on some results on that thread. Currently out at my favorite boondocking site just a half hour from home. Thousands of acres and four beautiful lakes almost all to myself. I'm in heaven.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:50 pm

Sept 3, 2021

Got the oak tracks cut out which the couch/bed will ride on and kind of lock in place when converted to couch position. Tomorrow will install delrin plastic strips to floor which platform will ride on (to reduce friction). My wife and I laid down on the platform to get a feel for how much room there is.... seems plenty roomy. Now that the sides are on and the platform placed we can figure the size mattress we can use.

John
Attachments
couch.jpg
couch.jpg (437.85 KiB) Viewed 714 times
IMG_5619.JPG
IMG_5619.JPG (131.77 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:13 am

It’s coming along great John. I know it was a different feeling for me to walk out to the barn each day and see the shape of a tear rather than a bunch of parts waiting to be assembled. Won’t be long before there is a headliner and a true feeling for the comfort of the space you are creating.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:21 am

Capebuild wrote:
TimC wrote:Good recovery John.

The story of my life, and at times, not necessarily good recovery :frightened:
But thank you for your comments, Tim. As said before, it would be great to just use this build as an experiment, and then build the real thing (learning from my errors, trials and tribulations).

I do not have a "finish date".... but hopefully will get the project to a point where I can take it out by the spring. It may not be 100% done but may be able to take it out for a test drive.
My work space (aka: my garage) is not heated, so I'll see how long I can work in there through the winter.

Regards
John

I've been camping in mine since 2012, its still not done. I think they proper wording is "campable date" :)
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:12 pm

Socal Tom wrote:I think they proper wording is "campable date"

I think that is a very good way of putting it. :)

western traveler wrote:t’s coming along great John. I know it was a different feeling for me to walk out to the barn each day and see the shape of a tear rather than a bunch of parts waiting to be assembled. Won’t be long before there is a headliner and a true feeling for the comfort of the space you are creating.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do think the headliner is next. Just tidying up a few other items before proceeding.

Today sprayed, what I'm hoping is, the final urethane coat on the two interior side walls.
urethane prep.jpg
urethane prep.jpg (255.59 KiB) Viewed 639 times

Also installed the drawer slide setup for the fridge. There was enough room in the space for a 28 inch slide but I needed the fridge to pull out 33 inches in order to get the cover to open at least 90°. Wound up adding a 2nd platform with 4 rubber wheels mounted to it's bottom that mated with 2 tracks recessed into the platform attached to the draw slides. A block acts as a stop to allow the sliding tray (2nd platform) to extend that extra 5 inches.
sliding tray for fridge.jpg
sliding tray for fridge.jpg (427.3 KiB) Viewed 639 times

Thanks for looking.
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:15 am

Nice job! That tray is very cool. I've enjoyed following all of the well thought out features of your build.
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:41 am

GarthB wrote:Nice job! That tray is very cool. I've enjoyed following all of the well thought out features of your build.

Thanks very much for your comments, Garth. Your trailer looks really great and I enjoyed viewing your pics from your recent voyage.

Received my battery today.... so as I move on to installing the elex stuff I can test everything prior to it's final install.
IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG (129.1 KiB) Viewed 570 times

Also completed installing the delrin strips which the bed/couch platform will slide on.
IMG_5643.JPG
IMG_5643.JPG (100.6 KiB) Viewed 570 times

Now starting on the front and rear roll pans. Thank you to Danny for sharing photos of his roll pans which are my go-by.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 pm

SEPTEMBER 12, 2021

I had started working on the roll pan for the rear. Boy, did that turn into a fiasco. At some point it pays to work off the model and depart from the CAD. In this case I was following what I had developed in the CAD for the roll pans, built the thing and right away I could see it just wasn't right. For one thing I neglected to take into account there would be a .250 layer of ply bent across the framework of the pan (not to mention the aluminum sheet siding). I also made the opening where it was to fit over the rear hitch receiver too small and wound up butchering away a lot of wood on the pan I had just made to get it to pass over the top of the support ring on the receiver. The curves were too big and did not follow the curves of the side assembly. I thought I could scab on some extra meat on the sides to follow the roll pan curves (which would butcher the whole thing up a bit more). Ggggrrrrrrrr... what a mess. I slept on it and decided to just think it through a little more and rebuild the whole roll (pan). Second time is a charm. Anyway happy with it now. Lesson learned (one among many).

In the photo the pan in the foreground is the new one, background.... the problem child, headed for the dump.
IMG_5645.JPG
IMG_5645.JPG (124.79 KiB) Viewed 539 times

This photo shows the pan in place (temporarily)... but you can see the .250 space between curve of pan and the outside of the trailer's side where the bent ply will butt up against.
IMG_5652.JPG
IMG_5652.JPG (93.71 KiB) Viewed 539 times

Next up think I'll start on the headliner (think I said that last post). Got distracted. :)

Capebuild
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals