The Escape Module.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Escape Module.

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:49 am

After having weighing the pros and cons of way too many options. It is time to begin the journey, and the journal of my camper build.

Decisions had to be made, and this may, or may not be my only build depending on how well it works, and how deep I am willing to go down this rabbit hole.

I am trying to meet a couple of pretty simple, but often completely missed requirements.

#1. I MUST be able to fit a basically RV short version of a king mattress / sleeping space. So 75"x76" bed area is a MUST. The wife and I are not tiny, and we both tend to toss and turn while getting to sleep.
#2. Sleeping space must be able to be cooled down to under 74 degrees F at night with minimal effort. Insulation and AC are a must.
#3. Means to attach a simple 10x10 awning that can make an at least partially enclosed space. I don't mind standing in the heat, or cold to cook, but I don't want blowing beach sand, or rain fouling my meals...
#4. Attachment point to hang the on demand water heater.
#5. Organized water / power / cargo capacity to haul food, fuel, water, and camping gear.
#6. Ability to obtain electric power via solar, generator, alternator power, or shore power.
#7. Ability to sit up on the bed and read or whatnot should we get socked in due to foul weather.
#8. Attachment points for 12x24 tarp to provide much larger, shaded, rain protected living space.
#9. Not overly tax my existing half ton pickup truck. 2004 F150 4x4 Supercab.
#10. Ability to easily offroad / overland with this rig. Logging roads, beaches, desert cross country type stuff, no extreme rock crawling or anything like that, but exploring ghost towns out west, or finding a beautiful beach spot for a weekend with the wife and I sort of thing...
#11. ENOUGH space should it be absolutely necessary for boondocking purposes, to be able to use the portable toilet inside the camper.

To achieve these goals. I believe a custom built, oversized truck topper, using the PMF, or Foamie methods. I am planning on 1.5" walls, obviously the topper would have to be wider than the truck bed, and extend over the lowered tailgate utilizing the tailgate as part of the camper floor.

I have a good amount of the camper related items that need to be designed around, Camplux 5L water heater, Coleman Extendible Tent poles for the awning, 5 gallon portable toilet, generator, 12V Deep Cycle power box, Reliance AquaTainers for water carriers etc...

The build will take a good while. The engine on the truck is being rebuilt, and I will take my time doing it as I want to do it right, not necessarily fast...

So for progress sake, and to use what I have already on hand, let's start the build journal. Step #1. Ready the Power system as best I can for now... Next post.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: The Escape Module.

Postby swoody126 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:18 am

my mental tape measure tells me that your #1 item the bed will cover the length of your pick up bed ± and hang over on both sides

that alone leaves you the area on the tailgate to achieve the rest of your goals

my mental scale tells me you need an 4x4 F-350 super crew to manage the weight you propose to haul to the places you wish to visit

FOLLOWING to see how you pull it off

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:58 am

swoody126 wrote:my mental tape measure tells me that your #1 item the bed will cover the length of your pick up bed ± and hang over on both sides

that alone leaves you the area on the tailgate to achieve the rest of your goals

my mental scale tells me you need an 4x4 F-350 super crew to manage the weight you propose to haul to the places you wish to visit

FOLLOWING to see how you pull it off

sw

You get the idea on the measurements. Overhang both sides, and extend to the end of the tailgate.

FWIW, aside from the king bed, there is no shortage of well within the weight limits half ton trucks doing what I am wanting to do. The big issue is how heavy is that topper going to end up being?

That is why I am being careful about how much things weigh, and using foamie / PMF construction...

Mind you, there are, or were I should say, 800lb campers with AC on the market before the company owner of Eureka Campers died. Honestly, if I could con my wife into a queen bed, this would be a done issue. Aluminum hi top contractor cap, simple bed platform, done... Stay tuned, this will either work, or be a total disaster...

It should be noted, I am trying to do things like use a built on DIY awning instead of an EZ Up to save weight, space, and complexity. I am probably going to have to carry less water than I want to, and pick up / filter creek water for showers...

Of course if my lovely bride and I could do a queen bed with any level of comfort the solution is VERY simple.

Aluminum hi top contractors cap, with side opening windows. Platform bed, RV short queen fits nicely in a 6.5 foot box F150 and forget the toilet inside the camper. If I am lotdocking run into wherever should a 2AM bathroom break be needed... Insulate the cap with Rmax reflective sheeted foam board, use expanding foam to seal the gaps. And just use a cedar 2x6, yes I can get them here, as a divider to restrain the water jugs.

A friend has a similar setup on a Silverado he uses solo and just has a blow up mattress, the insulated cap and bed platform only add 200lbs to the truck.

The bigger issue is going to be water, and fuel.

Water is 8.3lbs / gallon. Gasoline is 6.3lbs / gallon. I figure on carrying 28 gallons of water, so approximately 320lbs there, and 10 gallons of spare / camp fuel, so 63lbs.

The rest is mostly nicknack stuff, but it adds up fast...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:52 am

Appliances, fuel, and fuel distribution.

I am on the line between a mix of propane and gasoline, and going full on propane for my appliances, the deciding factor is carrying the fuel.

#1. I fully intend to carry at least 5 gallons of gasoline for the truck / generator.
#2. My water heater / on demand hot shower operates on propane, as do all of them on the market.

Propane appliances tend to be smaller, and have more modern / convenience features, and weigh less. HOWEVER fuel supply either leaves you tied to a bulky, heavy fuel tank, of course 5 gallon gas cans aren't exactly small... OR a series of expensive waste stream generating 16.4oz propane bottles. Yes I know lots of folks refill them, I also know refilling is against the law, and while not likely to be checked, why risk it?

My propane appliances available are.

#1. Camplux 5L hot water shower, complete with Joolca Gasknect quick connect.
#2. Coleman 2 burner propane camp stove. Seriously considering adapting to use the Gasknect.
#3. Mr. Heater, portable buddy. Again needs to be adapted to Gasknect.
#4. Coleman Quickpack propane lantern.

At least in tenting, hooking this all up is easy but requires accessories.

#1. Propane tank Y fitting.
#2. Century Tri Outlet Safety post (distribution tree).
#3. misc gas hoses.

Of course this means the water heater must be hung within 5' of the tank, stove connected within 12', heater within 12' etc...

To get more configuration freedom, and stay with propane, I would prefer a single 5lb bottle for the Buddy heater, and refillable 16.4oz Flame King style bottles, at least 6 for the other devices. The Camplux IS outfitted with a Steak Saver, so that solves a lot of that problem...

A simpler and less restricted way to set up would of course be use the liquid fuel appliances, however they tend to lack some pretty important safety features...

Aside from the Gasknects, and 3/8" flare x 1-20 throwaway fittings, I have everything else I need to connect the heater, stove, and lantern.

Were I to omit the lantern, I could omit the tree, use a 3 way Y fitting and go straight to the tank instead. Route 3/8" copper with the necessary flare fittings through the camper to get to where we are going and just have a hose to connect from the outside of the camper to the appliance.... Still working that one out...

So there it is, my messy thought process on the appliances and related fuel supplies for them. It all has drawbacks. I need to pick one.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:42 am

So my water system is goign to be based off of 4 7 gallon Reliance AquaTainers. Measured up the containers, AND the space in the bed of the truck to be restrained by a divider dropped into the 2x6 cargo divider slot in the truck bed. I plan on material removeal from said 2x6 via hole saw, and router. This will create the load bearing member of the structure. Verticals will be done via 3/4" XPS Foam, and the whole shebang done up with Poor Mans Fiberglass.

I might be out of my ever lovin' mind doing it this way, but my pickup will be manually moved tank to tank. The plan is to add a 3/4" FPT x 3/8" barb fitting, and using a a segment of 3/8" ID hose, weighted with a brass 3/8" barb x 3/8" thread fitting I have sitting spare.

On the top side of the tank, I will use a 3/4" x 3/8" male x male elbow. And in turn a 3/8" quick connect, the quick connect to 3/8 FPT x 3/8" barb to a 3/8" hose...

The hose will have sufficient slack to allow movement to tank to tank, and then plumbed over to an exterior output fitting.

Still need to figure the passthrough out. My thought process is a MALE 3/4" GHT fitting, that caps off when not in use that I can attach the pump hose to. The conecpt is the pump hose can connect here as a source, OR be dropped using a 3/4" GHT connected pickup / filter basket. Need to figure that one out, but yeah, the plan is multiple water pickup options. Onboard, site provided, and pump pickup from creek, lake, stock tank etc...

Once we are on the output side of the pump, or hose, we are using quick connects from here out. I go into the Camplux 5L, which will be hung from the side of the camper via a cleat. The back of the Camplux has a slot for a cleat and so I am playing with some aluminum scrap to create the plate for the cleat, I will be making a backing plate smaller sized so the steel wraps around the plate and has room to clear, and most likely brazing them together, and then mounting the whole thing using countersunk flat head screws.

Output of the camplux is a custom hose, to a quick connect, to an optional Y, then one sideto the Ensuite plumbing / hose / shower head, the other side to a 1/2" ID hose, to a plastic garden hose sprayer for "camp sink" duty.

Gray water capture for the shower is a folding doggie pool to capture, and then storage in a 5 gallon reliance collapsible water carrier. Sink is a Coleman collapsible double basin, and that gets drained out to another reliance. Of course capture gray water where required.

In the past I had used a bucket toilet rig, but my wife would have none of it. So.... We went with a Jaxpety 5 gallon flushing portable toilet. So far so good with that. The Jaxpety will be stored toward the tailgate. I need to determine a means of restraining it from the rest of the camper. So bear with me on that...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:32 pm

The Sportsman Generator arrived today. I need to get a quart of 10w30 dino oil and get over to the gas station that does ethanol free gasoline to fill up my 5 gallon can... And pray no hurricanes.

So I guess I get to talk about my electrical setup, or at least the plan, and progress thus far.

Power needs: 5K BTU LG Mechanical Window Unit Air Conditioner. Per the label max draw 4.1 amps. For hurricane prep Goldstar 6500 BTU window unit, max draw 6.6 amps. Battery charging is at present via a B&D Smart charger with a max input amperage of 4.

Off grid power at this time, once break in is done, is provided by a Sportsman 1000w Inverter generator. It's still in the box. I am waiting for an hour meter, and a chance to get down to Texas City to go get some ethanol free gas and 10w30 motor oil.

I got it at Tractor Supply on sale for $169.00.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sportsman-1000w-inverter-portable-gasoline-generator-gen1000i-1694825?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1694825&gclid=CjwKCAjwybyJBhBwEiwAvz4G79gUXRnDHHs91D_F3xQWwCl-omF1BD5Uu0ZACViawRxD6iINX_rO-BoCwVkQAvD_BwE

A 12ga 25' outdoor rated extension cord, with an outdoor rated GFCI provides ourdoor safe power transfer from post, OR generator, and into the camper...
If you are interested, the GFCI is available at https://amzn.to/3jJQfq0

At the camper, a NOCO waterproof electrical pass through with a Y splitter is planned to put at the front of the camper by where the battery bank / charger is planned, and the other leg to feed down to the back of the camper to provide power to the Air Conditioner and likely a small fan to help push air around...

Battery charger FOR NOW, is a B&D Smart Charger, Max input of 4amps.

Battery is retained into a NOCO group 27 marine box. I have added a pair of panels with 12v power outlets, dual USB charging ports, with integrated voltometer and control switches, harnessed VERY neatly

The box install is technically temporary for use while tenting. The long term install will be to reclaim the panels, create an output panel box to contain the components and keep all but the hot and ground lines contained. I am planning on extending the existing wiring, via soldered joints and shrink tubing, then holding the whole power / ground bundle in one piece along the route with a careful wrap of electrical tape, with a watertight grommet at the box end. Neatly route the wiring from battery, mounted using ring terminals, and then out and around up to just below the ceiling. I need to figure out how to conceal the wiring. One of the ports will provide power to my CPAP, I am planning on the second to run potentially a 12V TV, or provide power to a larger tablet.

Well, there is the wiring. Yay!
Last edited by dbhosttexas on Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:16 pm

I've been measuing up the distances from the truck bed ends, to the divider pockets, working on the storage design.

Recieved a set of gasketed brass caps for 16.4oz propane cylinders for the shower. VERY divided on how to move forward with this. I need to carry fuel for, assuming winter, heater, generator, stove, and hot shower. I CAN also bring along camping lanterns, but have more or less moved on to rechargeable batteries / LED "Tac Light" stlye lanterns.

I am torn between propane in a bulk tank, or a couple of single 16.4oz bottles for the shower and use Regular Unleaded ethanol free gas for everything else... I have options.

For cost, and simplicity sake, and since I am unsure if this will be a long, long term build, I am figuring on just building out with a wood frame. I would VERY much like to do the build with aluminum, but I lack the equipment, and skills to do the build with TIG welding / proper aluminum welding. Alumaweld brazing with riveted braces are the only aluminum attachment methods I have available. But I am seriously unsure of if a wooden frame would give me any strength advantage. At the very least, it will make the build a lot easier. Mind you, my next statement will give a LOT of folks concern for strength but here goes...

To keep weight in check, and again, to make it easier to work, I will be using Cedar, and I will NOT be using the quick and dirty pocket screws I have seen so many others do... I have a mortising machine, albeit a cheap Harbor Freight one. So yeah, it can be done easily. The tenons will probably be hand cut with a Dozuki, and chisel as I don't have the paientce for setup to machine but them...

Been looking at the waterproof mixture in the foamies forum, and reading a mess of boat builders forums and the mix seems to be the same. 75% mineral spirits, 25% polyurethane. The biggest concern I have is pull through weight hanging the AC.

I am rejoining Sams Club for multiple reasons, but while there, will take advantage of the $129.00 5K BTU Window unit AC. I have a coupon from them, Join for $45.00, get a $45.00 Sams CLub gift card, so the decision isn't hard to make...

So boil it back down to brass tacks. I am partitioning out for the toilet at the tailgate end of the bed, water system at the front of the bed. Since I am using a lead acid battery, considering an under bed mount to keep the charging vapor out of the camper.

Electrical control panel and CPAP shelf design done. Simple actually, Hose will run through bottom of shelf on head side of the bed, Then control box, then shelf all the way accross with a bungee mesh net to restrain items.

Someone today mentioned using 2 twin mattresses. SERIOUSLY considering Memory foam trifold twins for budget and usability sake. I really don't want a 10" deep mattress... The trifold gives me a 6" mattess which should be more than enough, more than a typical RV mattress or single height airbed...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:56 am

Not much progress, but placed the trucks AGM battery on the charger. Looking into solar options. I am looking at a minimum of 300w.

Doing research into the charging end of the electrical system. I am wondering if a solar charge controller would handle the input of Sportsman 12V output which is unregulated. If it can, I have my problem solved...

Resolved the fuel issue I believe. I need to buck it up and try ethanol free RUG in one of the Coleman heaters this winter, the 67 is the one I more or less dislike so I figure no harm / no foul should it get flamed out, so guinea pig it is...

Assuming that I can successfully use the catatlytic heater with RUG, that leaves me with the on demand water heater.

REI has back in stock, and WELL below everyone else's pricing the Flame King 16.4oz propane cylinders and refill kits. I ordered the kit and 3 spare cylinders for a total of 4. So there is that. We are more or less ready to go fuel wise. HOWEVER, that means I need a couple of proper Jerry cans, or ROTO PAK fuel cans. Oh and I have a set of the brass caps with gaskets to top the 1lb bottles off with for an added layer of propane leak protection just to satisfy my paranoia.

A gentle reminder that my goal is to minimize propane, and use common fuel for the truck, generator, stove, heater, lantern. I COULD have avoided propane entirely going with just heated water in a bucket and pumping up to the shower head, but I wanted the luxury of adjustable water temps so I don't have to futz between my shower, and my wifes...

Spent some time in SKetchup trying to relearn it. Honestly Sketchup on the browser is terrible compared to the old desktop installed version they used to have. Almsot to the point of being unusable. They messed up. Instead of making me want to stay with Sketchup and buy the installed version, they are making me want to go to something different. I don't mind paying for 3D design software, but taking a free product and making it commercially expensive is a BAD software move...

Anyway, more studies in Sketchup coming soon!

Oh, and looking for a non watermarked file for that Coleman Lantern print patter to get custom fabric done. Might have to reach out to the original poster on that...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:46 pm

Progress on the build, ordering components at least.

I have finally settled on the tank /water pickup design and will be using AquaTainers, with a single cap that goes from tank to tank, 3/4 x 3/8 Stainless reducer on the outside to the quick connect, quick connect to the pickup line over to the pump.

The inside is going to be stainless 3/4 x 3/8 barb, to hose, and hose being end weighted with a stainless cable clamp.

Still lots to do, but it is getting better...

I just realized, for clearance reasons I am going to need either a 3/4 or 3/8 street elbow before I mount hte QD on the lid. If I go straight up with the entire assembly including the barb, the whole thing will be about 2" too tall by the time the hose makes a gentle bend...

Sticking with the OE vents on the tanks. No need to futz with something that already works.

I sort of accidentally made some PMF over plywood in the shop.

I spilled some Titebond III that I didn't notice, bottle leaked, accross a rag, and the underlying hunk o plywood.

I am no longer worried about how strong PMF is, or how good of a bond the fabric will have to the underlying surface.

Some design / construction thoughts. I want 1.5" foam, but it comes in 3/4, or 2", I am figuring on laminating 2 layers of 3/4" using gorilla glue. Is this a good idea? The purpose it twofold. Firstly the R value, secondly, to be able to have comfortable sizing / thickness to be able to easily graft in 2x segments to install things like hinges, door locks etc...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:45 pm

Doing the hurricane recovery thing right now so progress is slow, but the 3/8 street elbow arrived today, so I finished assembling the Aquatainer lid / water system pickup rig. Still trying to giure out where the spool of 3/8 tubing walked off to though...

Figured out the issue with my HF Tailgator generator, and after running both the Tailgator, and the Sprotsman 1000 inverter, the difference in fuel usage, the 2 stroke oil and on and on, I am retiring the tailgator to serve only as an emergency at home generator. I don't need the noise camping. That sportsman literally can't be heard more than about 25 feet away through bushes and such.

Waiting for the missing hardware pieces from the Flame King refill set to come in. Their support people got me set up nice and quick... AS soon as it arrives and I finish assembly, I will pre-weigh, or get tare weight and mark the tanks, and fill them. There are a total of 5 so I have lots of filling to do...

Once the filling is done. I will likely take the BBQ tank to the local propane shop and get it topped up. I want to be ready for the next storm.

Ripped cheap 2x4s into 2s2s. Planning on making a perimeter frame. Using Mortise and tenon joints for strength. The plan is the most basic box outline for the frame, create verticals for the door opening, reinforcements for the AC support, awning support etc... And then glue the basic structure up with an unreasonable amount of wood clamps. Once the basic wooden structure is complete, hit it with gobs of waterproofer, And then, we foam.

There is no small part of me that still wants to build this thing to extend all the way over the tailgate using the tailgate as an added 2' of floor space, but designing that has been a bit wonkier than I thought.

Again, using cheap 2x4s and a ripping jig to create 2x2s to keep weight and costs down, so as long as any massive failures happen in the stick framing stage, I am only out the cost of maybe 10 2x4s at most. More likely 6.

To temporarily close up a hurricane caused hole in my house where siding once was, I sourced up an 8x10 silver tarp. Once no longer needed to keep rain out of the attic, I intend to apply that to the awning for the camper. Sadly the intended 3/4 EMT conduit that I was saving in the attic did not survive the hurricane. So time to get some fresh stuff. Oh well.

Anyway, back to the water tank rig. I am planning on moving the pickup between 4 7 gallon AquaTainers as they would be easier to fill and certainly would need a quick connect method of attachment. So I came up with this.

Under the cap is a 3/4 MPT x 3/8" barb nylon fitting, on top is the 3/4 NPT x 3/8 NPT reducer, a 3/8 street elbow, and a 3/8" quick connect, then 3/8 quick connect to a 3/8 NPT x 3/8 barb fitting.

Height could likely be further reduced by using a 3/4 NPT male x 3/8 NPT male elbox, but I used what I could find...

dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Q connect looks good, I may come up with a use for something like that :)
I'v been around a few old jugg's that leaked laying down.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:22 am

twisted lines wrote:Q connect looks good, I may come up with a use for something like that :)
I'v been around a few old jugg's that leaked laying down.

The idea is to keep these standing up. The one issue I need to clear up is the vent. One of them is bad / broken off. I need to figure out how to source a replacement...

Not sure if I mentioned this above, but the 5K BTU GE window unit came in day before yesterday. I unboxed it yesterday, and I just haven't had the oomph to get anything done outside of work. Planninng on testing it out on the Tailgator, and the Sportsman generators hopefully this weekend, although if I can get to Home Depot and get the siding panels, the AC test must wait...

Plan moving forward, at least temporarily.

#1. Head to home Depot, get the siding I need for the house, and about 6 2x4x8s, and 2 2x4x12s as straight and clean as I can get them.
#2. Rip the 2x4s to 2x2s, and set them on the lumber racks.
#3. Wait. These need time to dry to avoid warping once I start assembly.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:41 pm

So... No siding available at Home Depot still. Combination of 2 reasonably close by hurricane strikes, and COVID related supply chain issues, and siding isn't exactly super easy to come by right now. Exhaled a few bits of vocabulary I do not really want my neices or nephews repeating...

After being inspired by the super simple electrical setup thread at http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37732 I decided to rummage through my electrical spares and see what I had on hand to make something work.

Plastic surface mount exterior box. The kind you make connections for pool pumps, and flood lights with. Single gang, with one port. Check.

15 amp 110V GFCI outlet. Check.

Single Gang Decora outlet cover. Check.

12 gauge outdoor rated extension cord waiting to be cut up and repurposed because I ran the circ saw through it years ago. Check.

1/2" PVC pipe plug. Check.

Drill 1/2" hole in end of PVC pipe plug to allow cord to pass through, assemble the components. Check.

Ordered Marinco power inlet from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow.

Oh, and I grabbed a bag of the 3/8" single hole / screw cable clamps. Was looking for doubles but no such luck.

Totally forgot the 2x4s. IDIOT!

Trying to figure out how to deal with the gasses created during the battery charging process. The battery box might have to be enclosed and vented to the outside...

Still need to figure out the charger.

I have been VERY tempted by the BogueRV 53 quart 12v fridge for longer term travel as even a really good cooler, is just a cooler... We will see. If it works out that Wifi is readily available and I can workcamp, then my time on the road will be extended.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:37 pm

Okay work was crazy busy today, and wife had me crazy busy tonight, so not much got done.

Globbed caulk in the gap between the cable and the PVC plug / now bushing to seal it up and act as a stress releif for the cable.

The Marineco port missed delivery date yesterday and did not arrive today. Ordered an other one and will get Amazon to refund for the lost in transit one, or return the extra when it comes in.

I have had a LOT of lost in transit shipments from Amazon over the last 3 months. I swear my stuff is falling out of their vans.

I had a tire gauge / inflator chuck went missing on delivery 2 weeks ago, and Amazon fought me on refunding it until yesterday, ordered a different one, and it literally arrived in 6 hours. Whatever. I can now air up my tires and check the pressure without switching back and forth, old school gas station style... Not a Milton, but I'm not using this like I would a Milton...

I know this might sound weird, but I kind of want to add smoked bubble porthole type windows to the camper. Nobody has made those since the 1980s I am sure. There was a youtube video done by Jeff Dunham about him restoring a factory shaggin wagon van from the 70s, a Ford Cruisin Van, where he showed how the made replica porthole windows out of smoked plexiglass. I am thinking I need to try that for the camper. Yeah I know stupid, but it sounds like a fun retro touch...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:31 am

Today is a day to sneak in a little bit of work on the plumbing pre-setup. The 3/8" tubing, clamps and fittings have been dug up, and I made an impromptu pickup for the AquaTainers. Just a hunk of 3/8" tubing, a 3/8barb x 3/8 MPT fitting and a couple of clamps and I have a pickup that will hand just off of the bottom of the tank, and pick up the water as needed.

Pretty straightforward, but that is the approach I am taking.

Weather is not cooperating for any work on the structure of the camper, or mechanical work on the truck. LOTS of rain today. Bleh.

The power input arrived from Amazon. As this the duplicate order. Now to return one of them. Yay!
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals