"meANdher Canada" build journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

"meANdher Canada" build journal

Postby chrismc » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:39 pm

Hello from Belleville Ontario Canada.

Our build started in the fall of 2019 with general discussion about building a small trailer and highly customizing it to out needs. We have many many years of camping experience in various types of canvas and nylon, both towed or paddled to the camp site....so we had design goals already in mind.

Like many new builders, I reviewed in great detail the design and construction of the Wyoming Woody https://teardropbuilder.com/ and without the FANTASTIC level of detail provided I would have never moved forward. Many thanks Ryan!

Around New Years 2020 I proceeded to outline the trailer base dimensions on the livingroom floor with masking tape to ensure we knew exactly what we were going to get in the Wyoming Woody design. The result is that it was not large enough for our goals. We would need to increase the size from 8 x 5 to 10 x 5!

I modified the 3D CAD design that Ryan shared and stretched to our needs.

The next step was to negotiate with my Good Neighbour Fred on the use of his shop and welding skills! The raw material was ordered and delivered and Fred worked on the trailer delivering it in early March 2020....just as COVID came into our lives.

Fred is a Millwright and very knowledgeable in all things mechanical...a great person to engage in a tough problem or a quick fix. He took great care in ensuring that the trailer frame design was robust and going to last many many years without being over the top heavy.

The axle is a 2200# Flexiride Torsion axle manufactured by Cerka. We added 7 inch electric brakes.

When reinforcing the frame at the axle area, Fred pre-drilled-dimpled the bar stock so that I could move the axle and relocate as required to balance the trailer. Fred welded the support in the area I defined according to calculations based on a trailer that was completely in my head....and never built before! More on that later...

Degrease, sand a couple of spots and a coat of Tremclad and wow it looks good!

We added a receiver tube for a rear-mounted bike rack, and plates to mount stabilizers on each corner.

Wheels and rubber from Princess Auto. Trailer jack too. 2" Coupler from Quinte Truck and Trailer. Obtaining items a wee bit difficult due to supply issues and curbside access.
chrismc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: "meANdher Canada" build journal

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:30 pm

Nice trailer.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

"meANdher Canada" build journal - the floor

Postby chrismc » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:50 pm

With the frame welded and painted it is time to start the floor construction. The bottom layer is 1/4" ply that was varnished with no less than 6 layers of progressively thicker and thicker varnish. For example the first layer of varnish was cut with thinner by 80%. The next coat was cut 60%, then 40, then 20, then 2 coats of full thickness varnish. This method ensures that the varnish penetrates as far into the wood as it possibly can. there are 2 plywood joints that align with the steel frame cross members.

For the main wood spars I wanted 10 foot long side and centre spars. My other Good Neighbour Doug had a nice supply of rough milled ash that was well over 12 feet long....but it was not very straight! I built a jig to allow me to cut the curve out...then planed it to the required thickness. I love using ash for projects that require strength and stability. It is lighter than other hardwoods, and easier to work. It is a very plentiful wood in our area.

The various ash spars are held together with Kreg screws and glue. I love Kreg pocket screws...you will see them throughout this project!!!

The spars are glued to the bottom platform....no screws or nails to limit penetrations in the varnish. Tightbond 3 was used for almost all wood to wood gluing unless I note within this journal.

All of the empty space in the floor structure is filled with 3/4 inch Styrofoam glued to top and bottom surfaces.

The trailer supports that span side to side are 2 feet apart...providing numerous spots to bolt the wooden floor platform to the frame. I drilled and then varnish sealed carriage bolt mounting holes.

At the back of the trailer where the kitchen is located I added additional spars to manage the weight of the fridge and other structures.

chrismc
Teardrop Inspector

"meANdher Canada" build journal - brakes

Postby chrismc » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:06 pm

This is a bit out of order.....but before the floor was completely finished and bolted down I ran the brake wires to the front of the trailer. I used 10/3 Belden wire that has a very thick rubber coating. I used Green for the common ground, then White for Right, Black for Left. The wire was protected in heat shrink in all areas of soldering and plastic conduit everywhere else. All joints are soldered,then per-wire heat shrink, then the larger wire bundle is heat shrinked. My goal is to NEVER have to touch it again!

Cable ties were used at many locations to hold in place. During the final stages of trailer balancing I had to shift the wiring and re-cable tie.

chrismc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: "meANdher Canada" build journal

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:46 pm

You haven't cut any corners.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Build Journals