Repairing and rebuilding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Repairing and rebuilding

Postby oodles » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:10 am

I've been a lurker for a while, I planned on building a teardrop some day, but I had the opportunity to get a water damaged teardrop last fall. It was homemade, lovingly, but not watertight. It's been through at least 3 owners, the previous owner had planned on getting to this but life got in the way. So now it's my problem! I'm very budget conscious, or I would probably have bought or built brand-new.
My first plan is to do some significant disassembly. I need to get the teardrop off the trailer, as both sides and a bit of floor have to be replaced. My current plan is to have wood frames for the doors and supporting a roof rack, otherwise covering everything in foam. I haven't fully decided on how to do siding an waterproofing. I previously built two foamie kayaks, so I'm leaning towards that. They're watertight and I have a source of 10 oz canvas and gallons of exterior grade primer.
My major questions are:
The trailer: I don't know trailers at all, but I do know this one doesn't have electronic brakes and doesn't look very high quality. It seems to have worked fine, so I don't want to replace it, but should I take it to a professional and pay out the nose to have them do whatever they recommend? Can I just clean and paint the trailer and repack the bearings and be fine? Should I do anything?
Is there anything you recommend I add while I have the walls off?
The tongue both had the old electrical system in it and I'm planning on fully replacing it. Is there a good resource for options for replacing the tongue box? A plastic tote? Can I drill out and bolt a holder to the tongue without compromising it?
Looking forward to this process and thank you for all the resources this community has made already!

Here's an album of the photos I took before putting the camper away for storage!
https://imgur.com/a/i9758BP
oodles
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Repairing and rebuilding

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:32 pm

Honestly, the cabin is shot and it will be faster and cost about as much to build new as it will cost to rebuild this basket case. Plus you'll have a better product at the end. I don't see much worth saving. Maybe the cabinets if they're ok.

As far as the trailer goes, clean and carefully inspect for broken welds, rust or bent components. If it looks ok then repack and/or replace the bearings and rewire.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Repairing and rebuilding

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:03 pm

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Build Journals