Slim's "Cowboy Coffee" by request-->

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Slim's "Cowboy Coffee" by request-->

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Some of you were asking for my “Cowboy Coffee” recipe; here you go:

One 1lbs. bag of roasted chicory http://www.orleanscoffee.com/

1lbs. of roasted coarse-ground cornmeal, not the fine ground stuff

1lbs. of split green-peas: these should be ground before they’re roasted for a faster roasting time; a hand cranked meat-grinder works very well

Do your roasting OUTSIDE on a propane type high-heat stove in a cast-iron skillet. Roast your ingredients separately stirring constantly, this takes about 10-15 minutes each, it will begin to smoke; DON”T PANIC, it’s supposed to do that, that’s why you do it outside! Once you have attained your color, a very dark brown, remove promptly from the skillet, as the cast iron will retain the heat and continue to cook. Pour into a bowl you know will not melt to cool. Immediately put your second ingredient, corn or peas, before the skillet cools; repeat process.
Notes: corn-meal will clump when roasted, these clumps can be broken down when cooled.
Let the ingredients cool before mixing, breaking up the clumps as you mix. This is not coffee, so it will not go stale like coffee does, but should be kept in an air tight container to keep out pests. Depending on how strong you like your “coffee” you should play with the amount of water you use, but about two Tbs. per quart.

Ummmm, I think that’s it; and questions?
Slim
Slim and Gabby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jamesm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Hey guys your cowboy coffee was great and I do not like coffee! Thanks for thr receipe!!!
jamesm
Teardrop Master

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2