Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby MatBirch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi there,
I had originally started my build planning on a foamie. As time and material and money have begun to work together, plans have changed. It will now be wood framed, sprayed with 2# expanding urethane foam, sheeted with plywood, and skinned with PMF.
Here’s the beginnings of build thread over in Foamies for those interested. It follows me up through the frame and subfloor.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=71481

Over the last couple weeks, it’s been a little slow going. Planning, sourcing materials, etc. I had gotten my wall profiles partially completed flat on my deck. Stacked both together to ensure they are uniform. I had to build them in pieces. Here’s a test fit-up to see if the profile was acceptable.
Image

Jump ahead to today- had a kick-butt day, and got a pile of progress made!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Still have a bit of framing to do for windows, hatches, and the door. I ran myself out of material though.

Another day, I suppose...
MatBirch
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 29
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:40 am

Looks super! :thumbsup:

I will be following your build for sure. If I ever decide to build a 2nd camper, I want to do a canned ham standee. First I have to complete my teardrop.
Then I'll see if I'm up to do another.

Saw the start of your thread in foamie section. I got a real kick out of the lumber wheel wells on the old flatbed donor trailer. Git Er Done technology at it's finest!!

As I look at these photos do I see a crown to your roof spars? Or is it just the photo direction?
My teardrop camper build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
User avatar
Mr. Lahey
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:18 am
Location: Delavan WI

Re: Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby MatBirch » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 am

Mr. Lahey wrote:Looks super! :thumbsup:


As I look at these photos do I see a crown to your roof spars? Or is it just the photo direction?


Yes you do. At 8’ across, I wanted to fight sagging over time. It will never be a walk on roof or need to carry a load, it’s just all about that old, frumpy sagginess over the long haul.
I already have 4” of drop front to back, so runoff is not a problem.
MatBirch
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 29
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm
Top

Re: Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Have you thought about the compound bend you will need to make with the roof skin? At some point the roof ply will come off the curved spars and need to attach to a flat spar. Will the curved roof panels hit a flat spar before the panel needs to make one of the tight bends for your profile? Plywood bent in 2 different directions can get real nasty to deal with. Just curious as to what you have in mind.
My teardrop camper build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
User avatar
Mr. Lahey
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:18 am
Location: Delavan WI
Top

Re: Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby MatBirch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Mr. Lahey wrote:Have you thought about the compound bend you will need to make with the roof skin? At some point the roof ply will come off the curved spars and need to attach to a flat spar. Will the curved roof panels hit a flat spar before the panel needs to make one of the tight bends for your profile? Plywood bent in 2 different directions can get real nasty to deal with. Just curious as to what you have in mind.

Yes. I have a transition section with one spar that isn't crowned. It will (should) allow it settle flat before the rollover. I'm banking on the radius of the profiles to put the wood in enough tension to retain that transition section and keep it from sagging. I will need to have a seam at that spar to make the transition with two separate sheets We use this system at my work with aluminum sheets.
MatBirch
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 29
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm
Top

Re: Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby pchast » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Why not model it to prove the concept.. :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 1508
Images: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Athens, NY
Top

Re: Guess I’d better introduce myself over here...

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 am

MatBirch wrote:
Mr. Lahey wrote:Have you thought about the compound bend you will need to make with the roof skin? At some point the roof ply will come off the curved spars and need to attach to a flat spar. Will the curved roof panels hit a flat spar before the panel needs to make one of the tight bends for your profile? Plywood bent in 2 different directions can get real nasty to deal with. Just curious as to what you have in mind.

Yes. I have a transition section with one spar that isn't crowned. It will (should) allow it settle flat before the rollover. I'm banking on the radius of the profiles to put the wood in enough tension to retain that transition section and keep it from sagging. I will need to have a seam at that spar to make the transition with two separate sheets We use this system at my work with aluminum sheets.


:thumbsup: "Git R Done!"

Keep the photo's coming. I've wanted to build a canned ham and am enjoying watching yours go together.
My teardrop camper build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
User avatar
Mr. Lahey
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:18 am
Location: Delavan WI
Top


Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest