End of the road for our Teardropping?

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

End of the road for our Teardropping?

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:47 pm

My wife had surgery last month to trim the bulging disc she had between L1 & L2. She is fairing pretty well, but has bulging discs between L2 & L3, as well as L3 & L4, and she just had an MRI of the neck region because some issues she has could only come from up there. I'm guessing our two passions, Tear-dropping and bicycling, are over.

So, I'm weighing my options for a standie. I'd love a vintage unit, but have to be able to store it in the garage. That limits the overall length and height considerably.

I don't really know if I am asking for advice or not, but I want something that will be welcomed at teardrop gatherings. I believe home built and vintage have been welcome at every event we've been to, and only Lake Perris doesn't extend that courtesy that I've thought about attending.

So, I'm limited to 230" in overall length and 81" in height.

Any vintage units out there that will fit? :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:56 pm

My thoughts are to build exactly what you need. I'll volunteer to help with the custom frame.

Gimme a plan, a heads up to gather material, show up on Friday evening and you'll leave Sunday afternoon with your frame.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks, Gus! That might be the long range plan, but I'd love to find something campable in the meantime. There's some grat camping to be done, and I'm missing it!

I really do appreciate your offer on the frame. :thumbsup: You just might see me in your driveway next spring! :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Well Cliff, I know just what you need to look for, a vintage Rolite. :thumbsup:

Image Image

I have a couple more pics in my album.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bohemian » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:38 pm

This is the first time seeing one of these, I like it.
I would like to see a video of the set up.
Wayne
bohemian
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:02 am

That is very cool, Gage! :thumbsup:

Is it owned by a member here?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:39 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:That is very cool, Gage! :thumbsup:
Is it owned by a member here?

I don't think so. Don't really remember where I got those pictures. In my travels I have seen two of them. They are a neat little trailer.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:09 am

My personal feeling is that you would be welcome what ever you have, to any teardrop gathering. There was one individual that came to one of the Buckeye Tearjerkers gatherings with an R-Pod who from our conversation was in a similar situation.
I have often though that a teardrop could be ideal for some one who was even wheel chair bound with built in accommodation i.e. grab bars and the galley counter top set at the proper height but I can see how back problems might make that very difficult.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:39 pm

...sorry to hear of the wife's problems...getting older is kinda neat BUT, the decrepitude that accompanies it really stinks...Down here in the SCT, we don't care wattcha camp in, as long as you camp, you're welcome to join us anytime.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TENNJIM » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Sheryl and I are sorry to hear the news and hope things work out well. I can understand you wanting to get a small standie or vintage standie for the gatherings, but most of the ones we have been to would gladly welcome you with whatever you brought. Hope to camp with you both sometime this coming year.
8)
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Hey Cliff,

Sorry to hear about the wife. Hope things get better for her.

As for your camping passion, how about building a Winter Warrior?

Mike...

P.S. You might also want to read about "Devil's Claw" and "White Willow".
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Cliff....you also might keep your eyes open for an older Aristocrat Lo-Liner. They had 2 sets of wheels so the you could swap them out to fit in a garage. It's tough to find a regular standy that will just wheel in and out of a standard garage opening. I have to swap wheels on my Nomad. Once you get it down....takes like 15 min. with a floor jack and an air wrench, but then I'm not a Nascar tire changer. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Shadow Catcher, thanks. I have found that to be true wherever I have been.

Mad Jack, I now fully understand the old saying, "Youth is wasted on the young." :D

Jim, don't worry, we WILL camp, Lord willing, one way or another. I even saw this nifty little 17' 5th wheel! The drawback was the location of the bed, over the truck bed, which meant climbing into and out of it. We love camping with you guys. IRG 4.0 is right around the corner!

Mike, I've been toying with several ideas, including the Warrior. I'm thinking simpler is better, though. My criteria, at the moment, is 76" wide interior and 76" tall interior, to accomodate my 76" frame. :) All things are subject to change, however. :thinking:

I've given up on storing it in the garage. Next best thing is something that will fit in the farthest corner of the back yard, away from the watchful eyes of the HOA.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Doug, I'd thought of something similar to hydraulics to lower the trailer, but not swapping out the wheels.

About January I bought my wife a new (to us) Dodge Ram 4 door 1500 pickup, and made room in the garage for it. The Weekender moved to the simgle car portion, and the Ram occupies the double car portion, with about 3/16" to spare! I built custom blocks to stop the truc before it hit the wall. Now, anything would have to fit in the smaller portion, which is much, much smaller! :?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 pm

WE know what you and the wife are going through. Trudy had C2 to C5 in her neck fused with plates 2 yrs ago next Thanksgivings and that is one of the reasons I built the new Warrior. 5' high in the front with a full bed crossways and porta potti in a seat and a stand up galley. Ed Evans built a trailer for his wife Ruby with a drop floor and door because she couldn't climb into a tear. I guess what I'm saying is don't give up the dream of camping just build to suit you and your wife's needs and we'll see you all out there some where.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Next

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves