My 2nd new Scotty! The '66

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Re: My 2nd new Scotty! The '66

Postby 2bits » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Hey Dan, I hear you one the rehab and sell, I have six of them right now. I am gonna keep this one though. Thanks for the tip on the heat! I have an easy up but it is one of those EZ up brand blue ones which totally clashes with the look (Except the inside LOL) but I think it is going to be too short so I am going to get a 12x12 that is silver so it looks better, glad to know that heat is a concern and that the extra canopy purchase isn't just for looks!! I can't wait to ditch the horrible looking AC unit that is in the front window but until I find another solution I am keeping it since this is Texas!

Thanks again and I love your "ex" '60 Silverside! Yeah, I tried stripping my '65. I gave up and repainted it white, the previous owner really spent some time or money stripping this one down!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby razorback » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Thomas since my Scotty is a 78 model year it comes with an emergency escape window on the drivers side at the back. This window is hinged to swing out and easily removes.
I made a shelf with a bracket that I use to attach my small wall banger. It keeps the original look without cutting a hole into the body. I have some aluminum trim that came on some shelves that the shelf board slides into. the opposite side of the aluminum trim has a piece that slides over the window trim to lock it in place. The shelf that the window unit sets on has a wooden brace screwed into the shelf. That wooden elbow brace rests against the outside of the trailer. Works well for us when we need the air.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:08 pm

My mom's '78 has the same escape hatch window. I saw another guy who did the same thing through that kind of window on the NSSO site (I think it was there anyway). Too bad the windows are a different height on mine. I just have the one window on the rear street side but that would be a perfect spot for it since that's not the side that's typically seen. I never liked the under the bed options either personally. I will probably to the portable 8k BTU unit and build it into a wardrobe style enclosure and very it out the side using a factory furnace vent cover. At least it will look factory-ish!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:14 pm

prohandyman wrote:Sounds like you have the Scotty bug. Can't blame you...we have had several. Here is one of my favs...a 1960. Really hated selling it but since I buy and rehab...cant keep them all.
One prob with polished...they get hot. And I didn't have a/c in this one...hence the canopy!
When I first saw your post and pic I thought..what..a '66? Then I read further about someone stripping the paint.

Dan,

I took your advice on the canopy, I found one with black poles and a grey top that matched the camper too! I was glad to have it at Perdenales Falls for my maiden voyage as the camper was sitting right in the sun. On a whim, I bought the "wall" attachment too since it matches and it worked great in the afternoon when the sun was beating down on the door and there was plenty of room for a small private patio for entry and exit too! yo ucan see it rolled up in the pic. I camped the following weekend with the Southwest Teardrop Trailer group (A FB group), and then taking two weeks off then meeting up with the Texas Vintage trailer group, and then Beavers bend with the TnTTT gang the following weekend! It tows like a dream and I am milking this spring season as much as I can!
Attachments
IMG_0180 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0180 - Copy.JPG (189.46 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:27 am

Thomas,

The Scotty looks awesome. I can't wait to see it in person some day.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks Tom, I hope to see you guys camping again soon!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves