Has anyone completed a Wanderer?

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

Has anyone completed a Wanderer?

Postby dangerranger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 am

I see in the design resources library the wanderer, But I don't see where anyone has built one.
I'm interested in trying one. Its about the size I want. We have a Large TT but when I go places alone or just me and the wife it would be nice to have something small. I don't think Ill even put an inside kitchen in it.
I have good building skills, And the time right now to do it.
So have any been built? And are there pic's out there? Thanks in advance. Eric
dangerranger
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Has anyone completed a Wanderer?

Postby dangerranger » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Would this draw more attn. in another place? One of the questions I have about the Wanderer is With the walls so far over the frame should I widen the frame? I don't camp off road but certainly do go on dirt roads. I do have the skills to build a custom frame, if that would help.
My last Tiny was a sleeper box I'd put at the front of a utility trailer. It let me carry dirt bikes , ATV's or a Side by side, and still have a place to sleep. With the bikes off, the trailer made a nice porch too.
With all the kids gone I find myself needing less space for a ATV's and wanting a little more room to sleep, or sit out of the wind.
dangerranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:37 pm

I think this thread belongs here.

Have you tried the search engine? I get 125 hits using the word wanderer.

Hopefully, there's a build thread or two there. Sometimes folks will be on this forum until their camper is done and then they kinda disappear into the woods.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dangerranger » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 am

Thanks I did find one build that was close. Puffin for four. I think a custom frame will be the way to go. The Puffin built a sub floor to extend over the frame about a foot on each side. It would be just as easy to build the frame out to the walls. That looks like a lot of extra weight putting a 2x4 frame on top of the trailer frame.
dangerranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dangerranger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:46 pm

More wanderer questions?
Do the curves at the bottom add to the strength of the cabin? If not bringing them down straight would put the weight of the front and back walls over the frame.By just adding a body width cross beam front and rear would have the weight on the frame instead of a 1X6 wood beam for about the same weight.

And for those that have built out over the wheels, How much room did you leave to change a tire? Or did you make some kind of removable wheel skirt? :thinking:
dangerranger
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves