What are ya'll using for heat?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: What are ya'll using for heat?

Postby slowcowboy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 pm

I had a first hand view of the China made desil heater at walk the winds in pinedale this summer. I tow with a dodge cummins but the heater sips desil from its own gallon tank no need to plumb it into my dodge.very good heaters...theres only a gallon jug of desil needed and they will run all summer on one fill up at home in the heater tank with out the need to pack extra bottles of desil..i am going to get one when I get the chance...slow.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Squigie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Alright, diesel guys. I promise I'll look into it.
Just don't expect me to convert.

KTM_Guy wrote:If you can go 4-5 days at a toasty 60-65 degrees on one battery charge why look for another option? Add another battery or a solar panel for more days out.

Todd

The Teardrop build is a supplement to that tent trailer.
The tent trailer is inefficient and a pain to set up when it's just me - or even my wife or son, and I. ...But it still has its place.
(It's also too wide for some places I go, too low for some roads I travel, and too heavy when loaded for extended stays. But, again, that's why the teardrop is being built.)

The teardrop that this discussion is about will be a new, secondary camp trailer for "lighter" trips with only one or two people.
I can't really just borrow the tent trailer's furnace when I take the teardrop out. ;)

I only brought that up to point out that I'm not worried about battery life with a decent furnace.
Squigie
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:58 am

Old tiny marine stoves may have used coal or charcoal.

A teardrop stove must have these important features. Outside exhaust and prefer all openings outside for positive killing suffocation control. Isolation from the wood and foam, anything that burns.

A homemade idea I have is a sheet metal panel to replace a window in winter. The stove would be 3 or 4" iron pipe with L's on both ends. The sheet metal would have holes for the L's to go through. Pipe inside, openings outside. Sheet isolates the hot pipe from wood. The outside openings would have a cap on the bottom and a flap at the top. Charcoal brickettes would be fed in the top to keep the pipe warm.

Anyway that is as far as I got. I have thought about oil, liquid fuel but it is too dangerous for homemade. Unless it is used to heat water and the water thermosiphons to the bed.
Tomterrific
The 300 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Well right now I don't have cash for a China desil heater so I got a smallish tear well insulated with 2 inch foam insulation.what I do for heat is I have one deep clye battery and I run a 300 watt road pro 12 volt trucker heater from a truck stop for a heater.. its,a battery hog,..but will warm me up and the heat last most of the night if I don't go outside to pee till moring.then I got me a,12 volt electric blanket on a timer..that cycles all night...i got a battery montor by my pillow and most summer nights I use no heat just the old cow camp trick, go to bed fully clothed,
. put on a beany stocking hat and a hoody sweater and use 3 quilts on the bed...slow..
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Squigie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 pm

I checked out some diesel heaters online and even stopped in at a local truck stop to look at what they had in stock; and then cruised down the road a bit to talk to my aunt (a locally-based trucker).
No diesel for me.
I don't want to deal with the fuel. I don't want the stink. They have long startups with 'high' amp draws. And they all seem to draw too many amps when running, for my liking.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Suburban NT-16SEQ propane furnace.
Should be a 2.7 amp draw after a 3.5-4 amp startup spike.
22 lbs.
In theory, propane consumption should be near my last two furnaces.
Data is mixed about whether or not that model can be ducted, or is direct-discharge-only. I guess I'll find out for sure when it shows up.
If it can be ducted, I can tuck it away in a cabinet on the rear bulkhead (with an allowance for return air), and duct to where I want the heat.
If it's direct-discharge, I'll look into Suburban's "special" intake and exhaust pipes, and see where that takes me. I may require some creative thinking and asymmetrical cabin design.
We'll see after it arrives and I have some time to take it apart before I ever use it...
Squigie
Teardrop Builder

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 am

Was very curious what would come up on this thread. We do use heat in our conventional trailer and as I go into the build am researching alternates ways of doing so. Our usage is only just before bed (changing into jammies) and in the morning (changing out of).

Most of our camping is below 4K ft, yet have (and will) return to the spots over 8K. Have woken to snow in several times (and frozen water in the truck bed).

I see the OP is going propane and being we now have one (and like it) will probably do the same. Since I will have a cooktop & frig running on propane, adding the heater seems reasonable.
Now, here's where I get weird.. My existing frig expels heat out through the sidewalls vents. I've wondered just how much and if I could redirect that heat back into the trailer.
RJ Howell
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets