What are ya'll using for heat?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: What are ya'll using for heat?

Postby NevadaBlue » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:08 pm

bobhenry wrote:Back to basics......

Bob,
First, I want to thank you for all the great input you have had and have now on this forum. I just finished reading the Caboose thread, an epic. You are a tough dude for sure. Thank you again.

So, with your pic in mind, this would work. The Samovar... they are thin stainless steel, available from Amazon among other places for 50 to 100 bucks. They generally heat a gallon of water. So, a small wood fired stove, WITH water heater (which I am sure will moderate the affects of the fire on the whole contraption. I’m tempted to buy one for my little trailer I am building. They are about 10” in diameter, so they could be easily installed in a box like you showed, or in my case, sit on top of a shelf that is in the plan for my one-man rig.

5D983BE0-D696-40D8-9E98-BCE5841FF5FB.jpeg
5D983BE0-D696-40D8-9E98-BCE5841FF5FB.jpeg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 163 times
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 am

I am sure you noticed the entire unit is simply clamped in place. This was done for quick ejection if needed. The clamp on neich was lined with galvanized roofing material to separate combustable surfaces from the direct radiant heat and to help diffuse it as well. I would strongly suggest this as a mounting as it avoided cutting a chimney exit into the roof of the teardrop. I was amazed that this little 14" stove heated the unit in minutes with an outside temp in the teen's and a rather biting wind. I used salesman sample double sash aluminum storm windows in this build. This allowed the sashes to be quickly and easily removed and stored away after arrival. This feature allowed the neich to be temporarily added to the trailer.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby H.A. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:41 pm

I been an Espar user for decades. Models D1L and X-2. They are great heaters, But can be fussy at high altitude. I still have several NOS from 1980s in the shed... The Chinese have basically copied them and are insanely cheap nowdays.
Presently my teardrop uses no heat. My 19' Airstream I use a Sigmar 100. Completely silent and no electric requirement.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby kmack67.km » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Interesting discussion. I am surprised that a super small pellet stove isn't already available for small trailers. I did a search but the smallest I found was a wood stove that was about a foot in each dimension. The unfortunate news about the latter is that the clearance distance around it meant that you need about 9 sq-ft of floor space to use it.

Not sure how much heat is needed but I have successfully taken the worst of the frost out of the air in tents by burning a couple of UCO candle lanterns. That may be enough for a small, well insulated teardrop.

Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tyrtill » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:18 pm

H.A. wrote:My 19' Airstream I use a Sigmar 100. Completely silent and no electric requirement.

Thanks for posting this. I looked them up and they're really simple. I probably couldn't use one in my current build but I'll keep it in mind in the future.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets