Temporary Gray Water Storage?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Temporary Gray Water Storage?

Postby kmack67.km » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:00 am

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have any slick options for temporary gray water storage for short trips. I have not installed holding tanks in my CTC yet but it occurred to me that I probably wouldn't use them much in freezing temperatures or for short solo trips. Do any of you use a 5 gal bucket or anything similar?

Best regards,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Temporary Gray Water Storage?

Postby rjgimp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:19 pm

I have seen many use jerry cans similar to these for both fresh and gray water storage.

You just need to clearly mark them so you don't mix them up! :NC
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 am

Doing a bit of a debate myself on this.. May just be the only holding tank I install.

We do a bucket 'Wag-Bag' system for human waste. since separated it's considered gray (non-toxic). Pee is also dried with the medium (using cat litter now) so that's bagged and tossed in the garbage. Showers are typically outside and no I don't collect that. So I'm really only left with dish and clean-up gray water. I figure 5-10 gallon container should be fine since it will be used only when lot-docking, which I do more often now while traveling.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 am

back when we were still off grid camping in our pop up it had a garden hose fitting on the outside of the body where the sink drained

i simply made a stub hose that we stuck thru a bung hole in the top of a 5 gal bucket which got emptied as kneaded

having a bung hole w/ a screw in/on cap made hauing the gray water much safer(no spillage/easy to pour)

as for the bucket itself... get one that was used for liquid soap/detergent

commercial laundries and car washes throw these buckets away several times/week

there is a car wash service company in the DFW area that has built a rack at the curb were folks can pick up empty plastic containers for free

same could easily be dunn under the sink if you're designing the kitchen layout and the 5 ga bucket could just live there

our current travel trailer uses a similar fitting for filling the potable water tank so the hardware is still being manufactured and is likely available on line butt for sure would be available thru places like Camping World

"payday is Friday and S... don't run up hill"

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:23 am

We have dug a small hole under the trailer and ran the gray water there and filled it in when we left. The problem with that is a few times open water like that in the desert can attract bees. And I’m talking a LOT on bees. Now we mostly use a 5 gallon jerry can and collect the water which will use to put out the fire if we have one. We will usually keep 2-3 gallons in the can if we find a campfire someone left. It’s happened 3 times so far.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby kmack67.km » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 am

Great suggestions, thanks everyone. I think I'll be going with stub hose to a bung in a bucket or jerry can under the sink.

Best regards,
Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets