RV shower trap question - shower sump pump?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Postby 48Rob » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm

So, if that's the case, why couldn't you just allow the shower drain to a hose and allow it to drain away from the site?

Bikerman,

Your thoughts/theory are reasonable.
Gray water free of harmful chemicals and soaps...is not harmful.

If you camp out in the wild, no big problem with a few gallons of water.

If you camp where others camp (most of America) logistics pose a problem.

If each camper dumped just a couple gallons over a few days, then left and the next camper didn't arrive for a few more days, it wouldn't be a big deal.

But...though most of the teardrop crowd would likely drain only a few gallons over a weekend visit, some people, like those with 5 kids and a 37' RV with 6 faucets might drain 30+ gallons per day X 2-3 days.
They pull out, and the next camper pulls into a mudhole.
Possibly a smelly mudhole from all the food scraps they put down the drain.
Multiply this potential x the number of spaces in the campground, and the number of times a year a new camper pulls in, and you have a reason to ban dumping gray water...

Rob

PS. I know you said "drain away from the site" but it only takes a few that have no concern for the next guy that ruin the opportunity for the rest to self regulate.
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Bikerman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

:shock: People would do that? :o

:thinking: I got it! :thumbsup:

Very good point! :oops:

So, put a bucket under there and carry it to the toilet or dump. :thumbsup:

Then, out on a trail..... :roll:

Makes perfect sence, I'll get one of those small ones on wheels so I don't have to carry it. :)

Thanks, I needed to practice posting emoticons anyway.... :lol:
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 8ball_99 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:16 pm

My greywater tank is about 6 feet from my shower.. There is nothing wrong with running the drain and trap under the trailer and then over to a tank.. The tank doesn't have to be below the shower. The trap would need to be insulated if you camp in cold weather, But so does the tanks for that matter or you need tank heaters.. I use to just poor a little RV antifreeze down the drain. Its only 5-6 bucks a gallon. It doesn't take much inless you are camping in way below freezing temps. We stayed in our little cargo trailer in temps down in the teens with NP and no tank heaters.. I did have my dump valve freeze once.. Didn't break it but froze it closed.. I had to thaw it before I could dump the tanks lol..

Also FWIW my trap on my shower also has a drain on it.. So I can remove the plug and drain the trap easily.. All the plumbing is ABS and so is the trap.. I got it at a local lowes..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby 86bigred » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:11 am

try this site this trap can be mounted side ways
http://www.hepvo.com/
86bigred
Teardrop Builder

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Too rich for my blood. I like the low profile though.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets