Venting the fresh water tank

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Postby dh » Mon May 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Same here, just concerned about bugs and dust, figured a simple in line gas filter would be easy and cheap, just have to find one with 3/8" barbs.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby dh » Mon May 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Doh, forgot to mention, I took the filler out of the package today, the filler port cap has a gasket in it, so ya, I gotta have a vent. :lol:
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby ashleygries » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 am

So, I'm pretty new here, and really new to plumbing, but from what it seems, wouldn't there be an issue of water coming out of the vent opening if your tank becomes too full? How would you control that?
ashleygries
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 pm

So, I'm pretty new here, and really new to plumbing, but from what it seems, wouldn't there be an issue of water coming out of the vent opening if your tank becomes too full? How would you control that?

Hi Ashley,

Most systems are designed with the vent higher than the fill.
When filling the tank with water, any excess spills back out the fill port, before the hose is removed.
After filling the tank and capping the fill port, if the vent tube terminates a foot or more above the top of the tank, the water loss is minimal.
Most fill ports have the vent tube terminating in/next to the fill port area, so any spillage is outside.
The loss is generally very small, just a few drops.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...

Visit Rob's World Web Page!
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ashleygries » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Rob,
Thanks for the reply- that would make sense. I guess my only other question would be what if you had a check-valve in place on your fill side?
ashleygries
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:48 am

what if you had a check-valve in place on your fill side?

Hi Ashley,

I'm not sure I understand whay you're getting at...but if you put a check valve in the gravity fill line leading to the tank (if you could get one to work in that application, it would have the same effect as installing the cap or plug on the fill opening, that is, to prevent any of the water in the tank from splashing back out.

You can put a cap or plug on the end of the air vent line, but you have to remember to open the vent line before drawing water from the tank as the tank will collapse and break/leak if air is not able to replace the water being removed.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...

Visit Rob's World Web Page!
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets