Indoor or Outdoor Tankless Water Heater

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Postby 2bits » Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:Oh I get it now. You have already been using a 6 gal tank and you would like to increase your capacity by a tankless unit. Well this is actually very interesting to me. I was thinking of using a 4.5 gal unit and now you have me wondering just how much of a shower is possible with that if you are thinking that a 6 gal is not enough.

How long of a shower do you get out of a 6 gal unit?

Sorry, that's not it. My mom is giving me a tiny Play-Mor trailer to rebuild. I haven't even picked it up yet. Don't give up on your 4.5 gal just yet!

If I do a tank, I am not going to mess around and just go ahead and get the 6 gallon for those times when I do not camp alone.

That is good feedback on the 6 gal too shower Madjack, I am not a long shower guy, but I never want to feel like I am rushed. I've seen those pics where people hang them on a wall or pole, but I am wanting to get away from having to set it up at all.

I guess I also wonder if I use the outdoor unit, can it actually be mounted to the outside of the trailer permanently, and is it OK to use in the rain? Might be a manufacturer question there.

I'll check Cabela's tonight to see what they have as I just got a $100 gift card for them as a kudos from work which might help if they have anything at all. Out of the two I am so far leaning to the interior/tank version. Around $300 seems acceptable to me for that, I won't have too much in the way of big expenses beyond that and the AC unit, and the actual shower, this is the kind of shower I am thinking of, this is from a 5th wheel and there will only be a top notch shower, full inner spring bed, and some storage, everything else, cookin, and hanging out is is CAMPIN outdoors!

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:41 am

Thomas,

Pricey, but there is an RV-specific tankless water heater -

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heaters/rv-tankless-water-heater.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshopping&utm_campaign=partsfeed

While I'm far from even thinking about starting another build, I am kicking around ideas for hot water. I too am wanting to make it as "hassle-free" as possible.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Thu May 12, 2011 8:54 am

2bits wrote:
Sorry, that's not it. My mom is giving me a tiny Play-Mor trailer to rebuild. I haven't even picked it up yet. Don't give up on your 4.5 gal just yet!

If I do a tank, I am not going to mess around and just go ahead and get the 6 gallon for those times when I do not camp alone.

What $300? How about $209.95?
http://www.electricwaterheaters.com/ari ... eaters.htm
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fromeo » Thu May 12, 2011 10:42 am

We have a 6 gal atwood propane/electric in our unit. The wife and I can shower back to back with no problems running out of hot water. That is, of course, with a "navy shower" - wet down, shut off the water, soap up and rinse off. A shut-off valve on the showerhead makes this easy, just like MJ said. I always run ours on propane, the recovery is so much faster and the runtimes short (once it's hot) that it doesn't use much gas at all. I have also seen folks start on gas to get the tank hot initially, and then switch to electric.

RV water heaters tend to run quite a bit hotter than the average home does. Most (maybe all) modern RV water heaters do not have adjustable temperature controls, they are factory pre-set. This forces you to mix in more cold water during use, extending the life of the hot. The trade-off is that you need to be careful, it's HOT!

When comparing, the recovery time is really what tells the story. Electric units will need a serious supply of power to keep up with anything propane.

Thomas, if you don't mind a pilot light model, I've seen them go quite often on ebay brandy new for under $200 shipped. When buying, see if they are selling with the outside access door as these are often sold seperately.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks guys! I am totally cool with the propane 6 gal model, it certainly seems like the best and most efficient way to go! So I guess I need to take off the word INDOOR on my post LOL...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Nosty » Mon May 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi 2bits,

It's not tankless, but it is small and it does work.
[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=76964{//img}[/img]

I "test drove" it last weekend and got a really nice, warm Navy shower. It's 110VAC/15A with a four gallon tank. It's made by Bosch under the Ariston name and you can find it at Lowes and Home Depot for under $200.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_26603-1136-GL4. ... %3Dariston

I can't speak for the longevity because I haven't had it long enough, but my only complaint with it so far is that it doesn't have a drain so, once it's full, you're pulling that four gallons along with you wherever you go. It mounts on a bracket so you can remove it and hold it upside down, but that's not something I want to do every weekend. I'll drain it occasionally to keep the element from rusting and such, but, so far, I'm really pleased.

Brian
"I'm not talking to myself; I'm conversing with one of the myriad of voices in my head!"

View my build blog: http://www.briangreenleaf.wordpress.com
Visit my website:
http://www.bgreenleaf.com
Nosty
Gold Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Hey Brian, Thanks! They have the same 6gal version for just a few bucks more too. It's 110 and pulls 1500 watts which is fine for a State park. I guess you can just run the water out through the shower since you can't drain it eh?
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Nosty » Tue May 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Not quite that easy, 2Bits. The only way to drain it is to loosen the supply and feed lines, as well as the pressure relief line, take the tank off the bracket and hold it upside down. The only way water moves through the system is with water pressure. Once you shut off the supply, you have no more pressure to push the water out. Most hot water tanks have a drain valve at the bottom. These don't. I'm assuming that's because they're meant to be mounted under a sink or in a closet close to the bathroom or kitchen in the house. Not too many opportunities to drain it in those circumstances.

For the price, you can't go wrong. As I said, I got a nice Navy shower with it last weekend and it's great for those dirty dishes. The way my shower is set up, I can just take the hand held shower head and use it to wash big pots or the griddle. The sink in my galley is a little too small for anything more than a glass or silverware.

Good luck,
Brian
"I'm not talking to myself; I'm conversing with one of the myriad of voices in my head!"

Visit my website:
Nosty
Gold Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue May 17, 2011 2:36 pm

We still have to figure out the best way for a quick disconnect system on this to make it practical. It could use a handle attached to the side of it too for draining.

Hey why is this thread not in the new fabulous plumbing section? 8)
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue May 17, 2011 3:53 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:...................................................................................................................

I guess it should...I just look at one forum, the one marked "View posts since last visit" :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nosty » Tue May 17, 2011 4:31 pm

I've been working on that, StandUpGuy. Actually, I was considering quick disconnect air line fittings with some hot water compatible tubing or some PEX quick disconnects between the hard lines and the tank where the flexible braided tubing is now. That's kind of on the back burner at the moment. I'm doing some frame/tongue modifications this weekend. After that, though, I'm going to concentrate more on the water heater draining issue.

This is where the fun starts. Once the tongue modifications are completed, I'm down to the accessorizing and streamlining. Truth be told, I've been collecting some steel to start on the trailer for my next build. This winter should be interesting. :thumbsup:

Brian

Visit my website:
Nosty
Gold Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue May 17, 2011 6:16 pm

madjack wrote:
StandUpGuy wrote:...................................................................................................................

I guess it should...I just look at one forum, the one marked "View posts since last visit" :D ;)
madjack 8)

You are on it, like aluminum on a teardrop.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue May 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Nosty wrote:I've been working on that, StandUpGuy. Actually, I was considering quick disconnect air line fittings with some hot water compatible tubing or some PEX quick disconnects between the hard lines and the tank where the flexible braided tubing is now. That's kind of on the back burner at the moment. I'm doing some frame/tongue modifications this weekend. After that, though, I'm going to concentrate more on the water heater draining issue.

This is where the fun starts. Once the tongue modifications are completed, I'm down to the accessorizing and streamlining. Truth be told, I've been collecting some steel to start on the trailer for my next build. This winter should be interesting. :thumbsup:

Brian

You are my guinea pig. :twisted:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Tue May 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Good Info!!! I am sure a quick disconnect can be found, or how about some kind of siphon tool? Any ideas on that one?
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 pm

2bits wrote:Good Info!!! I am sure a quick disconnect can be found, or how about some kind of siphon tool? Any ideas on that one?
Could it be set up just like a washing machine in the house with rubber washers? That way hand tightening would probably be enough.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets