Plumbing up a drop-in propane stove / cooktop

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Plumbing up a drop-in propane stove / cooktop

Postby GeoDrop » Mon May 16, 2011 4:42 pm

We bought one of the 3-burner Wedgewood Vision cooktops for our teardrop. I tried the long & hard route of connecting a propane bottle to it, failing in the process. In the end, the right way was so easy & simple. Just so someone doesn't go down the same path I did... this is all you need:

Mr. Heater Hose and Regulator

(You don't have to get this one... most hardware stores carry the same type of product.)

I think most cooktops have a 3/8" male flared fitting. These replacement regulator/hose setups are exactly what you need and come in various lengths. Don't try and cobble a line together with 3 fittings.... the stove just won't work. Trust me...

I also found this little gadget that will allow you to connect a throwaway propane bottle to a QCC connector:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=357&id=97

Be safe...
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby boomboomtulum » Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 pm

I have the 2 burner wedgewood and connected it in a similar manner. Only difference was I ran a hard copper line to the connector as you then the reg. connected to the last chance or steck saver and connected it to a 1 lbs bottle. It about 2-3 days depending.

Dave
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

Postby slowcowboy » Mon May 16, 2011 11:54 pm

its what I did on my teardrop last year. and its what I basicly did tonight when I moved my drop in the counter top stove to my underbelly storage drawer.

only diffrence tonight is the hard copper line is plumbed to a quick connect fitting and my propane 1 pound coleman bottle won't be next to the stove its going up in the large under the sink storage compartment in the teardrop.

a hose will run 3 feet from that to a out the wall lp pop up trailer type gas line hatch.

I will store the hose inside my large cubard under my counter top sink.

then open hatch pull out hose with quick connect on the end.

pull out my large underbelly storage drawer from under my rear bumper and connect the end of the hose to the quick connect and then flip a valve and fire up the stove in the drawer.

basicly same as last year as when the stove was in the counter top.

why did the stove move from the counter top.

6 inches from the bottom of my hatch was the distance to my burners on my stove.

I was cooking the hatch!!!!!

I made the gally to short when I slipped up on drawing my out side walls profile.

I am a little way to streamlinged in my galley.

I have 20 inches of clearence under my frame to the ground as I am a off road teardrop.

so this opened up with a large 3 feet wide storage drawer a new world of opertunites.

heres what I am talking about

or heres what it would look like from the excate rearend of my teardrop.

this is my new galley set up for 2011 on my teardrop. the old hole in my counter top where my stove was is now a built in ice box made from a old cooler.

the stove drawer and all slides in and fastens like a normal drawer under my teardrop frame and rear bumper.

slowcowboy
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby GeoDrop » Tue May 17, 2011 7:24 am

We bought one of the5lb propane bottles. The stove is in a slide out drawer with the bottle underneath. The 24" hose/regulator setup turned out to be perfect. I found our local RV dealer will fill the 5lb bottle by weight, no minimum. I think it cost me $8 to have it filled.

boomboomtulum wrote:I have the 2 burner wedgewood and connected it in a similar manner. Only difference was I ran a hard copper line to the connector as you then the reg. connected to the last chance or steck saver and connected it to a 1 lbs bottle. It about 2-3 days depending.

Dave
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 am

Not real keen on having propane tank inside of enclosed area without some vents.... IF you plan on keeping tank inside galley area, you might want to consider a vent in floor....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 pm

your propane dealer is ripping you off! never go to a propane dealer that fills by wieght biggest cheat there is!

you use one gallon out of that 5 pound bottle and go have it filled he will charge you for your 3 to 4 gallons left in the bottle!!!!!!!!

you want a place like V-1 that fills with a metor and by volume. you can then end up paying like 20 to 3 dollars for toping your bottle off!

I pray to God your propane dealer is not called AMERIGAS PROPANE!!!!!!!!!!

they are croooks!!!!!!!!!!! I know I used to drive for the them and got framed by them!!!!!!!!!!!

if your using amerigas do your self a big time favor and go to someone else.

Slow.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 pm

thats mis typed. its two dollars to 3 dollars and you only pay for the gas you used out of the bottle not for the bottle and your gas left in it!!!!!!

I know I have filled plenty of bottle by wieght for customers at amerigas and I know extacly how they rip you off by filling a bottle by wieght!!!!!!!!!

they don't even fill by the scale totally. its supposed to be done automaticly with a chart and the scale is more for good effect!!!!!!!

SLowcowboy.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 pm

ah re read your post you got a rv dealer ripping you off refiling the bottle. he is putting his mark up on the price go find a propane plant that will fill by vulume it will amaze you how much cheaper it is on a 5 pounder bottle. than 8 bucks.

11 pounder cost me about 3 bucks to fill at V-1.

Slow.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:46 pm

My 3 burner wedgewood with oven is plumbed in just like my home range.

Other than a short whip from tank to 1/2 black pipe it is black pipe and needed black iron fittings from the tongue box to where it pops up thru the floor where it is connected to a flexable gas line to the stove. I have no worries about punctured long hoses or an errant fastner poking a hole in soft copper. I even found some 3/16 aluminum plate that I cut and fitted to both sides and the rear of the stove to avoid direct contact from the stove sides to the wood walls.

It just me :oops:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank you so much. I just found one of these stoves on eBay for $59 and was a bit nervous about not knowing how to hook up something highly explosive.
Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Re: Plumbing up a drop-in propane stove / cooktop

Postby kd5edj63 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:30 am

I know this thread is old, but I am trying to find or make a flex hose for my 2 burner coleman stove so that I dont need an extra 8 inches of counter top width. Has anyone ever rigged up a rubber hose to replace the standard hard line
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:35 pm

kd5edj63 wrote:I know this thread is old, but I am trying to find or make a flex hose for my 2 burner coleman stove so that I dont need an extra 8 inches of counter top width. Has anyone ever rigged up a rubber hose to replace the standard hard line

If you are talking about changing out the hard tube that connects the regulator (where the 1 lb propane can connects) to the side of the stove, you'll have difficulties because there's an "interlock" valve that prevents gas from escaping when it's not connected. A better idea is to use a "bulk tank to 1 lb tank" replacement hose, available from Mr. Heater or almost any sporting goods store.

I run my Coleman 2-burner propane stove off a 20 lb tank that way.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby kd5edj63 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:58 pm

can you post a link or a part number.
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:46 pm

kd5edj63 wrote:can you post a link or a part number.

F273701

Just google that number you'll find a bunch of sources. That's a 5' hose with a POL nut connection to the bulk tank (left-hand thread conical brass fitting).

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby kd5edj63 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you so much. I will look that up :thumbsup:
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets