Are 'home made' fiberglass holding tanks possible?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Are 'home made' fiberglass holding tanks possible?

Postby dh » Sat May 21, 2011 10:00 am

Has anybody made thier own (or know how to make) fiberglass holding tanks?
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby tk » Sat May 21, 2011 11:51 am

RV builder I formerly worked for occasionally made them. I don't remember much detail but I think they only used them for black and grey water. I think they were made of mat glass and polyester resin over 1/8" luaun plywood (plywood on the outside). Sections were either made in wide U-shaped molds or as flat panels, then bolted together with some kind of seal--rubber gasket material or maybe high-grade caulking, I don't remember.

Best,
Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Postby dh » Sun May 22, 2011 1:03 am

Sounds like a lot of work for something that will probably end up looking home made (not to be confused with hand made) and will probably end up leaking sooner or later. Thanks for the reply. I know in production they use a blow up mold sprayed with release, then layer on resin and glass and cover with a vacuum bag.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 am

You could make real nice custom ones out of glass but it is a lot of work for just 1 or 2 tanks. By the time you where done they would probably end up costing more than if you bought the plastic ones.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 am

It's pretty common to do it that way in sailboats so you can take advantage of the odd shapes along the hull. If you're going to use styrene resin, the INSIDE of the tank needs to be gelled because fiberglass isn't waterproof and the smell of a black or grey tank will get out.

Now most are done with epoxy because for all intents and purposes, epoxy is 100% waterproof and doesn't impart any flavour to your water once it's off-gassed. I mix the resin with about 5-10% less hardener than the ratio calls for and cure it under heat lamps. That's because the (unmixed) hardeners contain BPA. Once the reaction occurs from mixing, that threat is gone, so the slight surplus of resin insures there will be so uncured hardener...just in case.

Build your tanks however you'd like, fillet the inside corners and use some epoxy with 6 oz cloth. I've been thinking about a water tank as part of a tongue box shaped like a pirate's chest, lol.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets