How long will my propane last?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

How long will my propane last?

Postby robertaw » Fri May 27, 2011 6:48 pm

I have zero experience with propane and trying to determine if I have enough for my camping trip next week.

I have one of those big tanks the size that goes on propane BBQ grills. There is 4" in the bottom of it.

Does anyone know approx. how many hours of cooking this will last on a "low pressure" stove? I have a stove that hooks on the side of my
pop-up that I have been told is a low pressure stove. I'm guessing that means it would use less propane?

My dilemma is that I don't want to turn in this tank for a new full one and waste that much propane. I also don't want to spend the money on a second tank just in case.
Roberta
User avatar
robertaw
500 Club
 
Posts: 522
Images: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Lake City, Florida

Postby rainjer » Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Don't take it to a place and exchange it. Take it to a place and have it refilled.

Jeremy
ImageImageImage
User avatar
rainjer
King Koleman
 
Posts: 2077
Images: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:38 pm
Location: Everett, WA

Re: How long will my propane last?

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 pm

robertaw wrote:I have zero experience with propane and trying to determine if I have enough for my camping trip next week.

I have one of those big tanks the size that goes on propane BBQ grills. There is 4" in the bottom of it.

Does anyone know approx. how many hours of cooking this will last on a "low pressure" stove? I have a stove that hooks on the side of my
pop-up that I have been told is a low pressure stove. I'm guessing that means it would use less propane?

My dilemma is that I don't want to turn in this tank for a new full one and waste that much propane. I also don't want to spend the money on a second tank just in case.


Hi Roberta,

Using two burners you will have 6.75 hours of cooking time. Have fun camping and turn off the gas between meals. 8)
Steve
User avatar
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club
 
Posts: 4903
Images: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Albuquerque New Mexico
Top

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri May 27, 2011 7:34 pm

rainjer wrote:Don't take it to a place and exchange it. Take it to a place and have it refilled.

Jeremy
And make sure you have brakes on your trailer. :lol:
User avatar
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm
Top

Re: How long will my propane last?

Postby robertaw » Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
robertaw wrote:I have zero experience with propane and trying to determine if I have enough for my camping trip next week.

I have one of those big tanks the size that goes on propane BBQ grills. There is 4" in the bottom of it.

Does anyone know approx. how many hours of cooking this will last on a "low pressure" stove? I have a stove that hooks on the side of my
pop-up that I have been told is a low pressure stove. I'm guessing that means it would use less propane?

My dilemma is that I don't want to turn in this tank for a new full one and waste that much propane. I also don't want to spend the money on a second tank just in case.


Hi Roberta,

Using two burners you will have 6.75 hours of cooking time. Have fun camping and turn off the gas between meals. 8)


Steve, are you serious? That is a way more accurate answer than I expected.
:shock:
Roberta
User avatar
robertaw
500 Club
 
Posts: 522
Images: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Lake City, Florida
Top

Re: How long will my propane last?

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 pm

robertaw wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:
robertaw wrote:I have zero experience with propane and trying to determine if I have enough for my camping trip next week.

I have one of those big tanks the size that goes on propane BBQ grills. There is 4" in the bottom of it.

Does anyone know approx. how many hours of cooking this will last on a "low pressure" stove? I have a stove that hooks on the side of my
pop-up that I have been told is a low pressure stove. I'm guessing that means it would use less propane?

My dilemma is that I don't want to turn in this tank for a new full one and waste that much propane. I also don't want to spend the money on a second tank just in case.


Hi Roberta,

Using two burners you will have 6.75 hours of cooking time. Have fun camping and turn off the gas between meals. 8)


Steve, are you serious? That is a way more accurate answer than I expected.
:shock:


:twisted: Only one way to know for sure. :lol:
Steve
User avatar
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club
 
Posts: 4903
Images: 196
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Albuquerque New Mexico
Top

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 27, 2011 10:21 pm

I will second do not trade them in.
A if they are Blue Rino you do not get 20#
B if you take it to a place where they will charge you for only what they put in the tank i.e. (Our local Uhaul)
User avatar
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member
 
Posts: 5599
Images: 192
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 pm
Location: Metamora, OH
Top

Postby Jiminsav » Fri May 27, 2011 11:15 pm

4 inches in the bottom of a 20 lbs tank, times the volume of the cubic inch of the water column = about a weekend of cooking...if you eat light.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
User avatar
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club
 
Posts: 3045
Images: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:49 pm
Location: Georgia, Savannah
Top

Postby slowcowboy » Sat May 28, 2011 12:01 am

don't exchange for a Amerigas propane exchange bottle. they only fill them up part way to save gas and rip the customer off.

its one thing amerigas is good at ripping a customer off!!!!!!!!

find a propane outfit that will refill it by a meter and volume.

NOT BY WIEGHING THE TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!

wieghing the tank rips the customer off by selling him his own gas that he leaves unused in the bottle.

find a propane place that re-fills by opeing the spitter valve and metering the gas into the bottle.

cheapest way to re-fill a tank and a lot of times people think they are out of propane and have only used a about half the tank.

If you are only paying for the gas you have used it will most of the times be like only 2 to 3 gallons of propane used on a 20 pounder. not charing

you like wieghing for the metal in the bottle and the hole 5 gallons inculuding your left over 2 gallons!!!!!!!


if you need to re-fill on weekends just exchange it if you can't find a place open.

But realize a amerigas tank like from wally world exchanged is only going to have 3.5 gallons of propane in it. not full tank!

wall mart threw a fit when amerigas started doing this in 08. I know I was working at amerigas and was the one refilling the bottle rack.

I had to deal with the wallmart managers and make ezcuses for the company.

Slowcowboy.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
User avatar
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club
 
Posts: 6883
Images: 162
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:25 am
Location: pavillion, wyoming.
Top

Postby robertaw » Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 am

Steve, when I run out I'll be calling you to bring me more. :lol:

Cowboy, our Wally World's have Blue Rhino but thanks for the heads up.

We are camping for five days so it looks like I'm going to have to find a refill place or bring our Coleman liquid fuel stove as back up. It's acting funny with a yellow flame but I just Googled it and found some possible fixes.

Haven't been camping in 18 months so I'll be happy even if I have to live on cold ceral. I KNOW how the cooler works. :D
Roberta
User avatar
robertaw
500 Club
 
Posts: 522
Images: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Lake City, Florida
Top

Postby Dale M. » Sat May 28, 2011 9:00 am

Get one of these.... It's a "Steak Saver"...

Image

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... pter/24028
(look for better pricing)...

And if main tank goes empty just screw #1 cylinder on to this and move regulator from main tank to this... You have "emergency" back up fuel supply till you can get a main tank fill...

Available online and at many hardware stores either in BBQ section or "camping" section also at large sporting goods stores.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Image
User avatar
Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club
 
Posts: 2634
Images: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Just a tiny bit west of Yosemite National Park
Top

Postby Mikka » Sat May 28, 2011 10:58 am

what's wrong with buying two tanks and always have a full one as spare?

I don't know about the States, but up here in Canada, all new tanks that have been sold in the country for the longtest time have a "full shut off valve" in them. It does not matter how much you try, when it's full it shuts the inlet. the only factor influencing those tanks is the weather and temperature of the propane, and it is very minimal.

Also, if you want to know if you own a tank with this auto full shut off valve, you can tell by the form ot the manual shut off valve. It it is formed like a triangle instead of round, only the tank with the triangle manual shut off valve as the new type.

So if you have that type and the place you go, fills by weight, let him know what tank you have (he sure won`t tell you) and tell him to let it run for a little while longer after the scale triggers just to make sure you get a full tank and not only the 18 or 19 lbs the scale is set at!
Mikka
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:24 pm
Top

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat May 28, 2011 4:01 pm

The gadget that Dale M recommend is really handy in fact for a while we used nothing but the 1 lb bottles instead of dragging the big tank around. Now since most campgrounds have electric we just use a hot plate.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
User avatar
RAYVILLIAN
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 1427
Images: 109
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Rayville MO
Top

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:14 pm

One tank has lasted me over a year of camping, and I have a 1 gallon backup bottle for "just in case" :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures

Image Image
User avatar
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member
 
Posts: 3618
Images: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Top

Postby robertaw » Sat May 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I looked at Walmart when I was there today for a "steak saver" and they didn't have any.

Nothing wrong with buying another tank. In fact, I plan to eventually, I just can't afford the extra expense right now. We are at the top of our budget just for our little getaway.

I forgot about bringing another electric appliance. The crock pot may be going with us!

I'll let everyone know if the propane held out when we get back. :D
Roberta
User avatar
robertaw
500 Club
 
Posts: 522
Images: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Lake City, Florida
Top

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest