How long will my propane last?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Postby Dale M. » Sun May 29, 2011 10:45 am

robertaw wrote:I looked at Walmart when I was there today for a "steak saver" and they didn't have any.

While Wally World wants to be the end all point for all you shopping needs, I am usually disappointed in their selection (as they usually do not have what I want) or the quality is so poor I'm not sure it will survive the trip home and I will not even get to use it... It's usually the "last" place on my lists to go shopping.... I'll buy on internet and pay the extra in shipping first....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby robertaw » Sun May 29, 2011 10:55 am

Dale M. wrote:
robertaw wrote:I looked at Walmart when I was there today for a "steak saver" and they didn't have any.

I'll buy on internet and pay the extra in shipping first....

Dale

Yeah, me too, but we are leaving Monday so I didn't have time for that. I usually buy everything from Amazon where I have free shipping.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Sun May 29, 2011 9:45 pm

I use one of them steak savers on my hose and regulator to my atwood 2 burner drop in the countertop stove.

I like it normaly just use a coleman bottle on it. but I can in a pinch hook it up to a larger dot bottle or propane slang for a normal barbaque bottle.

I got mine I am pretty sure at wally world and it has worked for 2 years now.

which I know is pretty good for wallmart quality.

slowcowboy.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Sun May 29, 2011 9:56 pm

normaly I can make my propane for camping last a summer too. I run one or 2 baraque 20 pounders on a coleman lantern. and a cameco propane camp fire.

I run coleman bottles on a drop in the counter stove and a coleman propane skillet.

most the time I have a propane tree attached with the coleman propane lantern on top on a 11 pound pancake bottle.

I have not had to re-fill in the summer time.

I have about 5 coleman bottles.

come winter I re-fill the coleman bottles after toping off a home filed 20 pound barbaque bottle at my local propane plant. normaly only a couple gallons of propane is needed for this.

then I gravity flow with a adapter the green coleman cans from the baraque bottle and the 5 of them will last me a summer.

the 20 pounders I have 3 I normally use in my shop for heating the shop all winter and I burn though them in a week.

for them its a simple trip out to my house bulk tank and I refill them weekly on vapor from a hose on a valve on my bulk house tank.

I get a truck load of propane in once a year in the winter time and 300 gallons of propane will last us all winter and a hole year.

normaly a 300 gallon tank at like 40 to 60 percent will free flow a barbaque bottle in a half a hour.

other than a trip to top of one of the bottles or the 11 pounder I hardly visit a propane plant.

But when camping I can be the propane king. with restored colemans though I might be running on getting by this high priced summer on white gas and one or 2 gallons I bought last winter before the price went up.

Slowcowboy.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby robertaw » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:33 pm

We ended up camping for 7 nights and used hardly any propane. :D

I doubt that I'll ever give up my white gas lantern but propane has me won over for cooking.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby dh » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Glad to hear that :thumbsup:
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 am

I use propane like the propane king on camping I do use propane cooking. but white gas has won me over on heating things quiker and for cooking certain things or heating enough water when camping.

slow. white gas burns so much hotter than propane espically at 14000 feet above sea leval where I camp a lot.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 am

14,000 ft above sea level???... Are you on Everest or Kilamenjaro...

Or Pikes peak ( 14,115 ft)

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby glenpinpat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:43 pm

I have a 5lb propane refillable bottle that I have been using since last year and is still 3/4 full. I stopped using the disposable propane bottles as we have an issue with disposing of them.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Dale M. wrote:14,000 ft above sea level???... Are you on Everest or Kilamenjaro...

Or Pikes peak ( 14,115 ft)

Dale

I think he meant 4,000 (4,956 to be exact).
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 pm

oh no I did not becca. wyomings moutains start out at the bottom at 7000 feet above sea leval. when I get on the top above lander. I am at 14,000 feet and its no ly.

I live at 5565 here in pavillon with the moutains 33 miles away.

shoshone wich is in the center of wyoming on a baren desert flat is at 4000 feet and it is 36 miles east of me.

I have a 20 mile road that goes over the top to south pass from lander. it climbs out of sinks cayon to the top of the wind river moutains. and when you camp on top in pristine forest with hundreds of high elevation moutain lakes a and creeks. its not hard to get up to 14000 feet above sea leval.

you don' t have to be on the highest moutain in the world to get that high and you just have to get on top the rocky moutains.

ask any one from colorado how high vail pass is or how high the passes out of steam boat springs.

ask any one whos been over teton pass from jackson to idaho or ever been up the tram to the top of the tetons from teton village in jackson hole.

lander wyoming at the base of the wind river moutains 39 miles away from pavillon sits at 6000 feet above sea leval.

and let me tell you what tempture you can bake a pie or cook a ham or a roast down south won't get you a done pie or ham here in wyoming due to the elevation.

you buy a car from down south you have to a lot of times or a atv four wheeler have carbrator work done on it to get it to run proper at our elevation in wyoming.

why do you think I had snow last weekend on memorial day?

like I said I live at 5565 feet above sea leval.

Slowcowboy.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:35 pm

I found one of the "steak savers" at Harbor Freight.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
Owner,Desert Metal Products. Custom machine shop. Inventory of thousands of bearings and seals, from the common to the archaic.
ImageImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets