Propane line, I was wrong

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Propane line, I was wrong

Postby dh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:00 pm

I believe the hose is 3/8" but I'm not 100% on that. I got a deal on it at a local ma and pop RV repair place. The entire set up; PL, reg (actual RV regulator, not a BBQ grill job), hose, and hose fitting for the pipe all brand new and assembled (except for the flare fitting for the pipe, it was hand tightened on the hose and the MPT end was capped off), only $30.

One of those times when seeing exactly what you need with an inch of dust on it, and saying "Hey, I'll give ya $30 for that." actually payed off.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 am

dh wrote: One of those times when seeing exactly what you need with an inch of dust on it, and saying "Hey, I'll give ya $30 for that." actually payed off.

An inch of dust eh? Please look at the lay-line on the hose. It should give all the info about the type of hose and most of all the date of manufacture. It may read like this: 3Q06 (3rd quarter of 2006) or something similar. The reason I mention it, is hose has shelf life. I think the current DOT regs require Bobtail delivery trucks be recertified every 6 years. I know several companies do replace their hoses at least every 6 years.
I know where I work, we just tossed a couple thousand feet of 1/4" , 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" hose on reels that had layline dates of 2004-2005.
There may not be any regs for the type of hose you have or for your use, but knowing the age of the assembly starting out is probably a good thing for your own safety. I personally would be looking to replace a propane hose that is over 6 years old from date of manufacturer (DOM)

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby mezmo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Larry C,

RE: Flexible connectors:

It's used now-a-days to connect gas appliances. It is brass colored or grey colored - from those I've seen - and has the
connection nuts already in place on it. It looks similar to the older style coiled electrical conduit or the electrical wire that
comes covered in a corrugated looking conduit. Google images should get you a look at it.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Its good. I had to dig through boxes of TD crap to find it, MFG date 2009. How many RVers or grillers do you think change their hoses every 6 years?
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets