interior propane lights

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

interior propane lights

Postby egjacks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 pm

I found a 1965 camper trailer that I bought for about $150 with the intention of stripping for parts and then using the frame for a future project. I plan on using the propane oven and windows and a few odds and ends in my teardrop build. One thing I found inside the camper was an old interior propane light. Brand is Humphreys and seems to be the 1965 version of this light here:

http://www.gas-lights.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=gas-lights&Product_Code=F220325
These are still approved for use inside RVs.

So... I got to thinking about how well this light would work in the galley area. The galley, as I'm sure nearly all of you are aware, is sorta inside, sorta outside. The info I have found on these lights (old and new) says this light should be inside, but never any mention of why, or what problems would be encountered if mounted outside. I can blow on the light while working and it does not go out so I don't think wind would be a large issue. The location in the galley should be reasonably protected from rain, and frankly, if its that bad I probably won't be cooking, or needing any light, because I will be in the cabin or in the truck. In a really unprotected spot I can see rain hitting the hot globe and breaking it, but that should not be a problem for me. Do you all think the galley would be sufficiently protected to qualify as interior? I think it would be awesome to have it mounted in the galley to save battery endurance. The current models of this light will run for 11 hours on 1 lb of propane. If I am only using it a few hours a night, a 20# tank should last a long time.

question # 2:

Whilst thinking on the subject of propane lights and researching various aspects of them, I got to thinking about installing a propane light inside the cabin. Before everyone jumps up and shouts about the dangers of CO poisoning and lack of breathable air, let me say that I have great respect for the dangers of this type of appliance, and that my build, in addition to open-able windows and roof vent, will also have some permanently open vents.

It seems that since venting is already required for safe camping, (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40667 "Air Tight Teardrops can KILL YOU" thread) that a propane light inside will be using air just like another body, and venting should keep everything safe. Old campers have been using interior gas lights for years and, while they need to be respected, they have been doing a good job. So what do you all think about having one inside? As I am thinking right now, I think that having something hot inside such a small space (bumping it by accident, not that it would be too hot and cause damage) would be a larger issue than the asphyxiation... Opinions?

Oh, and I would never sleep with it on...
Eric
Teardrop Master

Re: interior propane lights

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:18 pm

In my not so humble opinion the only reason would be nostalgia and that is outweighed by danger. LED lights use less energy, no fire hazard take up less room and are easier to plumb (no gas line).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby egjacks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Hey Shadow,

Is your reply aimed at the galley light, the inside light, or both? I am already plumbing a line to my built in stove/oven, so a second line in the galley would, in my opinion, be almost the same as far as difficulty.
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Once upon a time I thought about putting propane lights in my trailer too. But I believe that LED's is a better solution.

LED's are safer, throw less heat, and can last a long time. And if you have a solar panel, can outlast your propane supply.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby droid_ca » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 pm

I think if it were to be supervised and you had led lights as a main having these or a back up light or just an excuse to show it off, I think it would be cool it would also make for an interesting theme, Victorian or steampunk. and all it would be is an extra T and some more line to plumb it in and if you are fond of Cigars you could use it as a gaslamp
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby egjacks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:53 pm

I am planning on having a battery system with LEDs, and I don't exactly have my heart set on having a gas light inside the cabin, it was more of "hey what about that?" kinda thought. The gas light in the galley though, it intrigues me quite a lot. I expect to be camping without hookups far more often than with, and while I like the idea of solar, my bank statement says that it isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. Maybe as an add-on when finances permit. Also a problem with solar is much of our camping is along the Oregon Coast, where clouds and trees both actively conspire against the sun.
One of the biggest draws about this gaslight is that I already have it, and I am plumbing gas line to the galley anyway. so an extra tee, valve, and a couple extra feet of tubing and its in.
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby egjacks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Also, I don't understand why having a propane light in the galley would be any more dangerous than having a propane stove there. It is well ventilated (outside). If I am missing an important detail, please help me understand.
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby Martiangod » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:24 am

In a sheltered environment it should be fine, supervised.
Been awhile since i came across a trailer with one, but If i'm remembering right, there is no saftey if the flame goes out, gas keeps running.
Old gas appliances with no saftey built in are not cool
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:33 pm

If mounted in a galley, one would have to be very careful to remember to give the lamp plenty of time to cool after turning it off, and closing the hatch.
Same goes with the stove, of course.
Seems like it would be at or below eye level in the average tear?
Might draw a lot of bugs?

It would put out some great light for your cooking area though!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:02 pm

I've seen scorched wood behind many of those old propane type lamps. It has to mount to something and it puts out a lot of heat. They're kind of a hassle, especially if you break a mantle on it during travel or worse, have the globe fall from it and break. My family has had them in a couple of 60's trailers. There's so many incandescent and LED options out there that are much more user friendly and safer without sticking out into the space. You could also retro fit it with a base and run a regular 12V bulb in it. Gets the old look without a lot of effort and hassle of the gas. There's got to be a reason that the RV industry went away from them. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby prohandyman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Doug
I remove everyone I come across in my restorations. Just my preference. I am trying to find an article I came across quite some time ago, where a family died in a camper fire, presumably from the propane light catching the nearest curtains on fire. I think it was dated like 1965 or something. It was sometime around then most Rv mfg. quits using them.. But I think it would be OK in a galley. By the way...I have several in inventory if there is a market!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets