Silencing the water pump

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Silencing the water pump

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 pm

One of the complaints of many RV'ers is the amount of sound and vibration from the water pump. For those of us with a teardrop it can be earth shaking and if you are trying to make coffee first thing in the morning. For she who needs a major caffeine jump start, well :roll: To put it nicely she may be reminded of the vibrating bed in that cheap motel way back when, with the pump starting.
I knew that vibration was the enemy particularly when it is attached to the sounding board that is your trailer :thinking:
Flojet made some effort by using rubber feet but they are way too solid. From industrial exposure I am aware of bubble mounts and have been looking. This shows the rubber feet with the bubble mount, well mounted

They do a very good job of isolation but the problem was finding ones small enough to do a good job of isolation. I found on Ebay a batch of 40 small bubble mounts and won them. they are about 1/2" high.

The pump is about five pounds and the mounts will support about five pounds each in a horizontal plane. They are strong enough for this application and with the support of the pipe survived the accident. I talked with an engineer with the manufacturer Barry Control http://www.barrycontrols.com these are available through their distributors and are the ME 100-1

OK it does not truly silence the pump, but I would bet an 80% reduction in sound and 90+% reduction in vibration. I also use them under the air pump used for the air shocks.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Silencing the water pump

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 23, 2012 4:41 am

SC Not much help when you are taking a shower.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed May 23, 2012 6:44 am

Isolating the pump from the floor or wall will help, but a large part of the noise and vibration is carried through the hard plastic tubing.
Using flexible water line connectors on the inlet and outlet of the pump, such as you would find under your kitchen or bathroom sink connecting the hard copper to the faucets, will help too.
They should be installed in a loop, and a piece of heavy foam wedged in the loop will muffle it even more.

In the end though, they are still noisy, though some of the cheaper ones are more like a jet taking off...

Here is a link to the newest solution.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... pumps/3247

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Rob the 80% sound reduction is before making any other changes, and note the FloJet Sensor pump uses the same rubber feet and appears to have the same basic pump mechanism just regulated differently. I had been contemplating building a surge tank which would dampen pulses but really don't have a great space for it and quit frankly I was so pleased with how such a simple mod could have such a big effect that I may not bother. And yes using a more flexible hose for connections is a good idea but once I have the trailer back I'm going to be really jammed for time.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:36 pm

The rubber feet still transfer vibration. I mounted the pump on its rubber mounts to a board, and then mounted that to the floor/wall on additional rubber feet as well.

It helped.

BUT the biggest help was as Rob said....Flexible line in a loop.

I wouldn't look into a Pressure Tank unless you have a water supply going to a toilet...and its use wakes everyone up at night. tank

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Wed May 23, 2012 3:47 pm

My old 19 foot camper had a steel water tank, with an air pump. basicly the pump pressurized the tank, and the air pressure pushed the water. could be also done with say a CO2 tank and reg, ie the total quiet water supply.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Reminds me of the old VW bug that used the spare tire to pressure the windshield washer. :D
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Reminds me of the old VW bug that used the spare tire to pressure the windshield washer. :D

Thats seems like a horrible Idea lol. What good is a clean windshield if you have two flat tires :oops:

As far as the pump goes those feet should help alot. Flexible hose would be better then Pex as far as sound goes.. But Pex tubing is much better in every other aspect.. I'd much rather deal with a little extra sound then deal with vinyl hose.

lol Why on earth would you not want an easy way to rinse of after being out in 100 degree weather all day. Most people don't realize how bad they smell after just a day or so. Even if I'm along which I almost never am I still do not want my bed a trailer smelling of B/O for the next trip..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:47 am

In addition to your flexible hoses I'd build a small wooden box and stuff the pump in it surrounded by "mattress foam". The foam could absorb noise and serve as a really soft mount that would allow very little vibration to be transmitted to the "speaker cone" ie the wood that the pump is ultimately mounted on.

We had a Shurflow on our "yacht". I think the bulkhead it was mounted on was deliberately chosen for its ability to amplify the vibrations of the pump. It never bothered me.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:48 am

Yes I think the flex hose will be necessary. When I first tested I did not have water in the system. The PEX tubing transmits a LOT of vibration and now I will have to decide what kind of flex tubing to use, I am thinking Nylobraid using Parker Fast Tight fittings. I am also going to add a pressure chamber made using 4" PVC pipe (cuts down on pump cycling and helps damp vibration).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Jim Anders » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:11 am

Newbie here and I see this is a bit of an old thread but for what it is worth this will work in silencing a noisy pump. If lots of volume is not a concern you can put a resistor or two in the 12v supply wire therefore slowing down the pump and all but eliminating the noise. In my case I can not even hear the pump running and it still delivers more than enough volume. This is a cheap and easy fix.
Jim Anders
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:42 am

I did the conversion to using nylobrade hose mostly so that I could add a valve to bring RV antifreeze from the bottle. Since that was the last task I don't have experience yet with it pumping water from the tank. Using a resistor wastes power and unless it is a great honking thing runs really hot under load. Our pump is also feeds the shower.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Jim Anders » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:06 am

Just put the resistor(s) in a place where the heat emitted won't cause an issue. As far as power being wasted would you not use the same amount of power per pump cycle if it went all the way to the pump? Are you not just diverting it from the pump to slow it down? I am asking I really do not know the answer. Anyway in my application this fix works perfectly, but then again I do not have a shower.
Jim Anders
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KBS » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I know very well the rattling of an RV water pump. Don't know what to do about it. However, a few years ago I installed a pump in my Coleman tent trailer (to replace a broken hand pump) that just has a high pitched whir, sort of like a dentist drill, only not nearly as loud. Now, this is not a demand pump. It's just on/off with a switch near the sink. But, it's very quiet. I don't think it would pump enough for a shower, but if all you're doing is filling a coffee pot, it would be grand. Trouble is, I don't recall the brand, but it's a small pump about the size of a 6 oz juice can. I think I paid $35-40 at an RV place.
Karl Stevens
KBS
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Howdy All;

As a fulltime RV'er I've used some of the foam hose/waterline
insulation and doubled it over then screwed the pump to the deck.
That and some of the more pliable tubing do help.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets