Silencing the water pump

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Silencing the water pump

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:44 am

Hank
I tried the foam insulation idea and found it helped a bit, but anything that fastens the pump to a sounding board i.e. sheet of plywood with screws will transmit sound and the bubble mounts worked better. I will be interested in seeing how much replacing the PEX with hose makes and my expectation is that it will help some. Most RV pumps use a diaphragm positive displacement pump which will means, it will pulse but it can run dry with out harm. In looking for a non diaphragm pump I am so far not finding anything.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Hank
I tried the foam insulation idea and found it helped a bit, but anything that fastens the pump to a sounding board i.e. sheet of plywood with screws will transmit sound and the bubble mounts worked better. I will be interested in seeing how much replacing the PEX with hose makes and my expectation is that it will help some. Most RV pumps use a diaphragm positive displacement pump which will means, it will pulse but it can run dry with out harm. In looking for a non diaphragm pump I am so far not finding anything.

Have you looked at these little pumps? Made for water pump service in boats and RVs. Impeller type, so must be located below the supply outflow, but reasonably quiet, and hot water capable.

I've used one in my brewery for almost 20 years and it's still working. BTW draws about 2A at full flow.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Marine-Pump-1P811?Pid=search

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:28 pm

GP Interesting pump, I already have two of the SureFlow pumps, One for pumping from lakes and streams and the other already in the trailer.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:44 pm

I have a whisper king pump and its a lot quieter than the bottom of the line shurflo I put in the teardrop. Its not as quiet as I would have hoped but its better. As far as the resistor goes, my pump pulls around 6 amps so that means the resistor would need to be rated at 72 watts. That's not exactly a radio shack type resistor.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets