Propane pressure help

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane pressure help

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:01 am

I'm getting into the plumbing (propane, water and waste) phase of my build and I'd like to make sure I've got my propane thinking right.

I am planning on a single 20 lb tank on the tongue feeding into a flexible hose leading to 3/8" iron piping that will run under the frame. It will feed two appliances. The first is a Olympian Wave 3 Heater located near the tongue. The second is my Coleman Two Burner stove located in the rear galley.

Since I have seen Coleman High Pressure hoses attached directly to their stoves without an in-line regulator, I am going to assume that the regulator is built into the stove. Am I correct?

The heater runs at 11" WC and although I can put a low pressure regulator in the branch line feeding the heater, it doesn't seem like a good idea to run the iron pipe at tank pressure all the way to the rear for the stove.

To add to my confusion, I thought I've been told that the best way to run propane was to put a regulator at the tank, but... since the heater up front needs low pressure and the stove in the rear uses high pressure????

I am confused :? :? :? What part (if not all) of my thinking is misguided. Which regulators need to be where? Do I need multiple regulators? What? Huh? HELP!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Propane pressure help

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:07 am

Most propane appliances that I've seen rely on an external regulator. I really don't have that much experience, though, but I do recognize a regulator when I see one (but wen in China all the Chinese looked alike (just joking)).

So. I'd take your stove to an appliance repair shop, an rv shop, or someone with experience and get them to point out the regulator or lack of a regulator. It''s pretty easy if you know what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets