!!!!!!!!!!Old horizontal propane tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

!!!!!!!!!!Old horizontal propane tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby armymike » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:29 am

I've got a thread under wanted/for sale because I'm looking to buy an old horizontal tank for my 1949 teardrop. I'm looking for a tank like the one on the attachment. I've gotten a lot of good comments from that thread which sparked this QUESTION :thinking: Is there anyone out there actively using and filling their horizontal tanks? Can they still be used? Does it require a special valve to use it???????

ArmyMike
San Diego
Attachments
5Ed5K95J33L13Id3J5c7jae842c2ae2a31c16.jpg
Can these old tanks still be used??????
5Ed5K95J33L13Id3J5c7jae842c2ae2a31c16.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
armymike
Teardrop Inspector

Re: !!!!!!!!!!Old horizontal propane tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Dale M. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 pm

By latest rules I am aware of horizontal tanks do not require OPD valves.... How ever to be filled it supposed to have current valid inspection/certification date..... Problem may be if tank is long over due for inspection and looks least bit unworthy you may not get it certified and may get notice it can not be certified and them it becomes junk....

Think new tanks are good for 12 years, then every 6 years there after they have to be reinspected and certified.... Look for certification/inspection dates on tanks safety collar...

Look up OPD valves and tank types that require them to be sure ( I might have brain fog)... GOOGLE is a wonderful thing...

Also seems to me somebody was still making horizontal tanks... Look around....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 am

I looked into this and most places that do hydro testing on SCUBA tanks can do certifications of propane tanks. I would want to have a tank cleaned, internal shot blasting external blasting and painted and hydro tested. One site that gives a over view http://www.all-safe.net/cyl_services.php
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby armymike » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am

Great information! Please keep it coming. My trailer will look GREAT with one of those tanks.
Attachments
5T05E35M73E73Kc3H4c7394c5bd2fad63124e.jpg
Won't it look great? Am painting it one color
5T05E35M73E73Kc3H4c7394c5bd2fad63124e.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
armymike
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rolly » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Did you find a tank yet? I may know where one is. Where are you?

Rolly
Rolly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby geoatk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I am looking for a horizontal tank too. Does anyone know where to get one from?

Geoff
geoatk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:08 pm

I recently had several tanks inspected and "certified". I like smaller tanks as they take up less room, you can set one up at your camp table for a remote burner or BBQ (yeah I know that propane is "pro"fane but it is convenient) and leave one hooked up to your trailer. Also have an aluminum tank that will not rust. It is a visual inspection only and was about $5 or $10 per tank. I also had the valves replaced with OPD valves. I have a good "cost effective" source for valves and they will ship them to you if anyone is interested let me know and I'll dig out my notes. I found that most places won't sell valves to the public. I called the factory to find out what size valve to use as there are several different sizes for different sized tanks (although they all look the same when installed).

Propane testing involves performing specific visual inspections and other tests to recertify the propane tank. Propane tanks are tested differently than most other DOT cylinders. Propane tanks must meet specific requirements visually, and requalifying is a thorough process. Source: http://www.gchtonline.com/Propane.htm

Hydrostatic Testing is at very high pressures (thousands of pounds per square inch). They pump the tank up, measure how much it blows up like a balloon, release the pressure and measure how much of the expansion is permanent. If the total permanent expansion is less than 10% of the total (as I remember) it passes. If the permanent expansion is less than 5% and the tank has never tested above 5% it gets a "+" after the test date meaning the tank can be filled 10% above the pressure stamped on it.

My tanks were inspected by: Delta Liquid Energy 12685 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar, CA (818) 838-4400.

Horizontal tanks are exempt from OPD valves due to their shape. If they been inspected and certified within the required time frame they are legal to fill and use.

I found this one on Craigslist but it looks a bit big. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/3167623290.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby jb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 am

I'm using my lpg tank horizontal.

but i have to mention that this is a tank with a evaporator so that there won't be the possibility that liquid gas comes out of it. the supplier says: it is possible to use it on this way but he doesn't give his word on it. for a refill i'll take the tank off because of the 80% filling
http://www.joostbastiaansen.webklik.nl
just drive like you stole it
jb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby navigator » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:58 pm

I have one, it's2.5 gallon, dated 1963. It's 14" wide. How do you ship a propane tank? I'm in AZ.

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby VijayGupta » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:41 pm

I don't know anything about them, but the LP tanks on forklifts are held on horizontally.

VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 am

VijayGupta wrote:I don't know anything about them, but the LP tanks on forklifts are held on horizontally.

BE AWARE... Many forklifts use liquid draw tank for fuel supply, before you actually purchase a forklift style tank be sure it is capable of "vapor draw" ... Most camping and BBQ and small appliances are "vapor draw"(gas) devices and can not function as a "liquid draw" device... Just a heads up....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BlackCatRacing » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 am

I have a horizontal tank and it is from an unlikey source. It is from a Volkswagon Westfalia. Very compact and easy to install because mounting hardware is already there. I had it filled in early summer (2.9 gallons at a cost of $6.75) and it still has not run out of propane after about 6 weekends of camping. I use it to run a propane stove and refridgerator that I also pulled from the Westfalia. Best of luck.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt...
BlackCatRacing
Teardrop Builder

Postby Treeview » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:56 am

Last summer I found a 12/120v fridge on Craigslist. when I got there to look at it the lady showed me some other stuff she'd removed from a high top van. A horizontal tank with about 80% fill! I got both fridge and tank for $130. Even if the tank doesn't pass recert I got a bunch of gas to use! It will go underneat the ToyBox. When it's time for a refill I'll wire brush the tank and paint it. Then take it in for recert.

Tom

http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=2415&image_id=111898
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby Rallybug » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:50 pm

BlackCatRacing wrote:I have a horizontal tank and it is from an unlikey source. It is from a Volkswagon Westfalia. Very compact and easy to install because mounting hardware is already there. I had it filled in early summer (2.9 gallons at a cost of $6.75) and it still has not run out of propane after about 6 weekends of camping. I use it to run a propane stove and refridgerator that I also pulled from the Westfalia. Best of luck.

And, if you want a bigger one, Go Westy sell a 5.9 gallon version made by the OEM (Manchester, IIRC)
Ben
Rallybug
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets