Need help connecting hand pump faucet to water tank

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Need help connecting hand pump faucet to water tank

Postby E U G » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Just bought my tiny trailer a few days ago and got my water tank delivered today. I'm wondering how to hook up the tank up to my faucet. My trailer has a built-in sink with a hand pump faucet. Underneath the sink, there is a clear tube hanging from the faucet, but I don't know how to hook this up to the water tank. The water tank has a spigot and an air hole. This is the tank I bought on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC ... 01_s03_i00

I posted this question in one of my other threads and someone told me there should be a fitting on the tank. Am I supposed to buy a water tank that already has the fitting or can I buy the fitting separately somewhere? I asked at Home Depot and Fisherman's (outdoors store here in the NW) and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I'm leaving tomorrow for my first trip in this trailer so a quick answer would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks!
E U G
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Need help connecting hand pump faucet to water tank

Postby len19070 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 pm

If you have a hand pump with a clear line coming out of the bottom I would first put the end of the clear line in a bucket/pitcher or something to hold water and pump the pump handle.

If water comes out then its easy.

Just stick the clear tube through the air inlet on the tank so it reaches the bottom, crack the water fill for air and your done!

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby E U G » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:51 pm

len19070 wrote:If you have a hand pump with a clear line coming out of the bottom I would first put the end of the clear line in a bucket/pitcher or something to hold water and pump the pump handle.

If water comes out then its easy.

Just stick the clear tube through the air inlet on the tank so it reaches the bottom, crack the water fill for air and your done!

Happy Trails

Len

Thanks! Didn't know it was that simple, figured it needed a fitting of some kind. My clear pipe was too big for the air inlet so I just made the hole bigger with some tools. Do I need to crack the water fill though if I'm using a pump? My problem is I need to lay the tank down on its side which means water would be leaking from one of the two holes. It works fine now but I only tested it with a few pumps.
E U G
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 am

Actually you may have caused yourself some grief trying to connect up to that particular water container.... Its actually design is to just replace a bucket for water storage and transport ..... A true water tank for "RV" use is quite a bit difference in design.....

Any way.... Some of these containers have a threaded insert in fill cap so you can add a spigot to container to dispense water when its set on a table if this is so it may be place where you could add a barbed nipple to connect hose to... Simplest option may be put long hose on pump and simply set container on ground and draw from it... When traveling fill it up and cap it off and carry it along.....

You may even find some sort of "add on" bulkhead fitting for RV use that will allow you to put a hole in container in a place that will be convenient to connect a hose to...

Only limits are where/how you plan to place container, and how you can adapt a connection to container....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets