Toilets

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Toilets

Postby Lgboro » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:58 pm

You might look at composting toilets - they are really pricy but I have seen a couple of instructional articles on how to make a homemade one. Try Google.

The commercial ones start at over $900 but all but a handful say they really work good without the odors of other self contained units.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby droid_ca » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:55 pm

My thoughts are to build a sawdust toilet as I don't want to be worrying about a black water tank when it starts to get below freezing
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 am

Last edited by H.A. on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby droid_ca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:26 am

I wouldn't want one in a small trailer as that might be disturbing but in a tent outside while boondocking I can see...I just doing want to have people doing there buisness in my drinking water seems kinda gross

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Heated outhouses, flush toilets, showers?? You call this camping

Exactly what I was thinking... :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 am

the short walk to the camp bathhouse is nothing during the day, at 2 AM my wife wants something next door
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 pm

I have started building my sawdust toilet if there are facilities available then I'd use them but for some of the places I like to go you'd be lucky to get a radio signal...I'll try and post pictures of it when finished

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Will that be a gravity flush or are you gonna use a grain auger to "pump" the dust.

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby droid_ca » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:44 pm

bobhenry wrote:Will that be a gravity flush or are you gonna use a grain auger to "pump" the dust.

Hahahaha I was thinking of a

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 pm

bobhenry wrote:Will that be a gravity flush or are you gonna use a grain auger to "pump" the dust.

Don't laugh. I saw a writeup on a composting restroom that used a multiple auger type setup to move the waste along a tube. It only moved it a few feet along each day, and by the time it reached the end it was fully composted. It was made to handle the waste from a few hundred people.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:54 pm

biziedizie wrote: Dung chucking is fun! Get the right angle, drink a few beers and it's an afternoon of entertaintment :lol:

One question: is the point of impact still called the 'splash' ?

Eewwwwww..... :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I was looking up parts sizes and found out the remote cassette vacuum generator and holding tank (Dometic VT2510) I was wanting to use was discontinued.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Most standard vacuum generators are larger than that small compact vacuum generator and holding tank were. Then on top of the vacuum generator you still need a black water holding tank. What was really nice about the VT2500 is the 3.5 gallon holding tank/vacuum tank was removable, and you could carry it to any toilet and pour it in. You didn't need to move the RV or trailer. A good vacuum flush system uses from .4 liter to 1 liter per flush so they use very little water. They also are very good at cleaning out the bowl when flushed. The drawbacks are you can't use heavy quilted toilet paper like Charmin, regular TP works fine, you need a pressurized water system, more parts and tech to break down, and cost. The loss of the VT2510 makes it real hard to fit one on a tiny travel trailer. The volume goes up from 1.6 cubic feet of basement space to around 4 cubic feet with a small holding tank.

This PDF from Dometic goes over what a vacuum flush system is, it's components, etc..
http://www.dometic.com/FileOrganizer/1-international/Operation%20&%20Installation%20Manuals/Toilets/VacuFlush.pdf

Bogo wrote:After using vacuum flush toilets on both boats and RVs, I'm seriously looking at spending the dough on a remote cassette type one. I'll put it's remote vacuum tank in a heated locker in the basement. To use them you do need a pressurized water system, and 12VDC at a couple amps for a few minutes per flush.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby droid_ca » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 am

I'm thinking I'll be using clumping kitty litter in a plastic bag and throw it away with the trash...after all we chuck out diapers and what not so there should be no problem

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 pm

biziedizie wrote:Will you be using the new and improved fresh scent :awesome: :poop:

I'm thinking so and if times get tuff I might just have to get a scoop and sort it out...ok ok just kidding about the last bit but I think I'll manage...I did have an idea about vermiculture though just not sure if they would survive on it just to help decomposition a little faster

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:20 pm

The "Mark I Poopenthrone" worked great with odor-control kitchen trash bags. You tie up the bag when you're done and throw it into the next bag, which gets tied up and thrown into the next bag...it controlled odors and mess, didn't generate a pile of used bags somewhere, limited the amount that could spill if a bag got torn, and 'emptying' was still as easy as tossing a single bag into a dumpster on the way home.

Had I continued using it, I would have added kitty litter to the bag. I only used it once before the missus decided she don't camp (that's one of the reasons for the trailer I'm building:)

Bogo - if you want to check out the Sealand vac flush stuff, I can check with my wholesaler on parts and availability.
Unless you're in Canada I can't help you with price, though I can provide the (CDN) MSRP. They make low-pro tanks with the reservoir & pump assy attached. They are a decent system but, like anything else, they have their drawbacks too.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets