Camp Chef Ovens

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Camp Chef Ovens

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Anyone currently using one of the Camp Chef Ovens inside their trailer? (with proper ventilation of course)

If so, recommendations pro or con?

What clearances are required?

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Re: Camp Chef Ovens

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 pm

I have seen several located in the galley but none inside. Most of us here cook outside.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:01 am

camp chef (dutch) oven :lol: :lol: :lol:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Yeah Slow ith one of those handled canning jar drinking glasses and my gal pal found some candle stich holders and glued them together to make a red neck martini glass. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby droid_ca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I have been thinking lots about caving in and going with the camp chef oven versus a regular 2 burner stove top just have to do some minor tweeks to my design that's all I do like the functionality of having an oven for my little cabin
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 am

droid_ca wrote:I have been thinking lots about caving in and going with the camp chef oven versus a regular 2 burner stove top just have to do some minor tweeks to my design that's all I do like the functionality of having an oven for my little cabin

Thanks for getting back on topic.

Actually I've decided against the Camp Chef combo and will go with a counter-top 2 burner rated at 17K BTU per burner. If I'm reading correctly the CC is only 5300 BTU per burner. CC does make a stand alone oven the same size if I decide I really need one. Meanwhile I've got one of those fold-up Coleman box ovens that sits on a single burner.

Since I'm using a small 120V refrigerator and will usually be on-grid or using a generator one of the counter-top toaster ovens would be more versaltile and useful unless somenne makes a propane oven that also has a broiler burner.

I was looking for a small cheap vent-a-hood to handle the propane and note Home Depot currently has a promotional over the range mount microwave (1.6 CF and 1000 Watt I think) that includes an exhaust fan and external vent for $100.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am

M C sorry I wandered off topic please excuse my phopa.

If you are looking for a tiny trailer sized vent hood for your stove top oven they are out there.

When I picked up this magic Chef camper stove oven (with broiler) combo ....

it came complete with matching vent hood. I am sorry , but I didn't get a picture of the vent hood itsself.

P.S. They were free for the asking out of a junked camper.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:33 am

Bob -

Thanks for the tip. I've never been as successful as you in finding bargains or freebies.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby mj1angier » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 pm

If you have a Gander Moutain store near you, they are having a black friday sell on the Champ Chef oven http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=614091&clickid=0004cef102217b500ae0ad8dbc0071d3&source=ganfor $89
Small town NC redneck
mj1angier
Teardrop Builder

Postby droid_ca » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I just picked up a camp stove and oven it's not a camp chef but the price was not to bad as it was an old camper so it came with extras
Just need to paint it as I'm not fond of Burnt Orange
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 pm

M C,

You don't indicate what part of the country your located in nor do I have any idea where you like to camp or what your percieved stove needs are. This information can sometimes help people respond better to your question.

I'm from Wisconsin but have owned property in Montana and love going to Yellowstone and places west. I avoid cooking under the hatch because I do not wish to introduce permanent cooking odors to the inside of the place I sleep in. Seen to many bears and racoons that are attracted by those odors and they all to often try to get in to camping shelters to find what is causing those odors. I have three 2" hitchs attached to my trailer and I use them to hold my eating table, dutch oven stand and cooking stand on either side of the hatch or center rear. All depends upon the weather and my needs as to what is located where.

As to stoves I would buy a Camp Chef if I intended to do a lot of baking while camping. If not often and you are going to get into the teardrop lifestyle, well you are going to get a couple of cast iron dutch ovens and they bake awesome. BTUs just mean you can burn things faster. Find something that works and meets your needs. Usually your needs can be met fairly cheaply.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets