Where is your propane at?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Where is your propane at?

Postby desertrat9 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Just a note for Shadowcatcher. I followed the link you posted and it appears that as of May 2013, all Lite Cylinder's HAVE BEEN RECALLED. There is a note that not only have they been recalled but no distributer is to even fill one. Might want to Google Lite Cylinder Recall. Words like "field destroyed" "removal of valves" and "public safety" are used.

p.s. New to site. No sure if I should have messaged Shadowcatcher or placed this here or started a new thread or what.
Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from the grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth! - Ann Tyler

It's opener out there - In the wide open air - Dr. Seuss
desertrat9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bogo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 pm

I had started a thread on the Lite Cylinder Recall. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=55986
Bogo
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:25# translucent tank on the tongue. I love the tank as you know exactly how much propane you actually have.

I've got one too, they're the best!

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Bogo wrote:I had started a thread on the Lite Cylinder Recall. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=55986

I have two and neither one is on the recall list.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:02 am

Adding to this question, Is there any risk of storing a 12volt battery in the same compartment as the propane tank (i.e. trailer tongue box)?

Thanks,
Don in Seattle
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:51 pm

arcs of sparks could make for an exciting trip... :lol:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby astrotrailer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 pm

I have mine mounted on the front outside wall high enough above the aluminum battery box on my trailer tongue that I can open the lid on the box. I put it in front higher because I didn't have any other room directly on the tongue of the trailer. I have a pair of T-105 six volt batteries in the box and 240 watts of solar on the roof. The furnace is mounted sideways in the front of the trailer under my desk with the air intake and exhaust on the driver side wall. The power and propane runs are nice and short to the furnace. In the day time I remove the furnace connector from the tank and put a T connector to feed the hoses to my stove and grill.

astrotrailer
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Visionsbydarrah wrote:All have been great ideas! And reasons why you put it there. :thumbsup:

Most large bottles are carried on the tongue as they help balance the trailer there. They also fit there better as they are small and heavy, not much else fits in the same footprint well
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Yeah, On the tongue seem like the most logical and legal. But don't batteries go on the tongue too? I am wondering if a leaking cylinder/not fully closed would risk a fire if the battery sparks. I know they usually store them together but I guess I am looking for the safest way to build that compartment out.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:51 pm

We can always conjure up some scenario where the battery breaks loose and causes a spark at the same time the propane leaks. But really the odds of that are so high as to not be a worry. Or so it seems to me and countless numbers of manufactured TT designers. My BIL has a brand new mega$$ TT and the propane and batteries live in a ventilated chamber side by side.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:28 pm

I thought that would be the case. I hope this site continues to keep me out of Analysis Paralysis/ Over engineering and general Worry Wortdom.

Thanks
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Mine is mounted all the way forward in the "A" frame (10# bottle) and fastened in a welding bracket to the tongue box. The battery is in a sealed & vented box back in the galley (group 27). This was done to balance out the tongue weight, since the tongue box is heavy & a small 5K BTU AC unit will be mounted in the front wall. Glad there was the spreadsheet for trailer balance available, as I was going in the wrong direction with my guesses.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:24 am

MtnDon wrote:We can always conjure up some scenario where the battery breaks loose and causes a spark at the same time the propane leaks. But really the odds of that are so high as to not be a worry. Or so it seems to me and countless numbers of manufactured TT designers. My BIL has a brand new mega$$ TT and the propane and batteries live in a ventilated chamber side by side.

With propane being heavier than air if the floor of the storage box is vented there should be little if any propane to ignite should the almost impossible happen.

I was given two of these heavy duty grills. I intend to bolt them to the frame and build a housing to it for the caboose tiny house. I intend to place two 6 volt deep cycle batteries ,( one on each end) and move the propane mounting plate (foreground) into the center of the grill.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Diemjoe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks Bob, I was thinking about wholes in the storage floor too.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:57 pm

I have always used the 1lb disposables and even have a filler valve for them.
But, last year we got a 5 lb bottle. As we have a fire pit now!
We carried it in the back of our TV.
With my new build I plan to install the 5 lb bottle in the front tongue box with a hard line to a quick connect coupler in the rear of TD.
I do plan to continue the practice of carrying one lb bottles for their convenience and special place in our camping style.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets