so i need a sink (updated, now i need a pump)

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

so i need a sink (updated, now i need a pump)

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:15 pm

so check this out for my design

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=55888

i found a 15"x15" bar sink at menards for $30, has 2 holes for the faucet that i think are about 1.5" or 2" (need to go measure them). i'm havig trouble finding a suitable faucet for it. i have found some manual pump faucets that look like they mount to the counter, but then im having trouble finding a sink that doesnt have a little shelf/lip for the faucet to mount to. i saw a post on here about someone using steam table pans for a sink, that might work, but they arent as thick as the actual sink (24 gauge vs 22).

i dont think i can go any bigger than 15 counter depth, but i could go wider by a couple inches if i need to, overall height from counter to top of the faucet needs to be under 5". i dont really mind if its manual pump, electric pump, hand or foot pump, im just using it to wash dishes mostly (although i do want it to be drinkable so i can use it in cooking if i need it.

my main concern is price. i see some rv sinks goin for like $150, and pumps/faucets goin for $75ish, i cant afford that. i dont want it to look really cheap, but i gotta keep this project's price under control. $30 for the sink is awesome, if i could get a faucet that fit in one hole, and a small pump that fit in the other, that would be perfect.

thanks
Last edited by Lunchbox7985 on Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Re: so i need a sink

Postby 48Rob » Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 pm

If you put your water tank above the sink, you won't need a pump, or faucet...

The Menards bar sink has 4" center holes for a standard lav. or bar faucet.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:34 pm

i was planning on a somewhat shallow cabinet above the sink that when the top was folded down would fit into the top area of where i stand. the majority of the standing space is going to be for storing stuff for travel, like the tent and such, but i doubt i can stack things that tall, so the last few inches of space in that corner would be wasted, i could put a shelf there for the water, and that would simplify things a lot, im gonna keep your idea on the table. but from an asthetic point of view, i think i would rather them be hidden and have a somewhat faucety looking faucet.

id love to have tanks in the floor or in the walls, but i really want to keep it simpler than that. while i am trying to maximize my space, im not feeling like "i can always use more". i need to start framing and get a 1:1 scale look at things, but with my drawings im really happy with the space i have. and if i do find that i need more space after the build, plan b is a roof cargo bag to hold the tent chairs blankets and pillows. that would open up that whole standing area to whatever stuff i need to fit in there that isnt coming to mind at the moment.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 48Rob » Sat May 25, 2013 6:39 pm

You can still use a "fancy" faucet with a pump, electric or manual.

I'd suggest a foot operated pump if you go with manual.
I can say from experience that washing dishes while operating a hand pump is tough...

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm

oh, and what sink are you looking at, this is the one i have in mind

http://www.menards.com/main/kitchen/kitchen-sinks/stainless-steel-bar-sink/p-1655156-c-8510.htm

im not married to it, i could just as easily spend a little more on the sink to spend a little less on a faucet. i didnt measure it cuz i figured the info would be online, but i did go see it in the store, and the holes for the faucet were probably around 1.5"-2"

i did find a pump faucet on ebay, i think they said it had a 3" mounting diameter. i really need to go measure this sink, but i may be able to bore the hole a lil bigger.

i dunno, im not saying ive looked all i can and am giving up, just asking for ideas here to speed up the process, so fire away.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 48Rob » Sat May 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Almost all bar sinks with two holes are 4" centers.
Most single handle bar or lav faucets are designed to fit a two hole, 4" center sink, or if not, to cover both holes, or have block off plates/caps to cover the unused hole.

3" hole for a faucet is pretty big, do you have a link to the one you saw?

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 pm

oh you mean the holes are 4" apart on center?

this is what i was looking at, and i was wrong they said 2" hole

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230973533650?item=230973533650&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 48Rob » Sun May 26, 2013 7:41 am

oh you mean the holes are 4" apart on center?

this is what i was looking at, and i was wrong they said 2" hole

Yes, the holes are 4" on center.

The faucet you linked to, the one in the picture above, could be fitted to a sink, but is generally installed in the countertop.

There are 15 x 15 sinks without faucet holes available.
Most installations in an RV use the existing faucet holes for a regular faucet which supplies city water, and the pump faucet, mounted in the counter, is connected to the onboard tank.
The older campers generally had just a pump, with a plain sink, like this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 am

i think ive ruled out conecting to city water, when i was a kid, only one campground we ever went to actually had water hookups. but our popup did support it, the hand pump would work like a normal on/off faucet if you had it hooked up. i thought about getting one of those in-case i ever wanted to get a pump. ive seen some on-demand pumps for pretty cheap. but like a lot of my build, i plan on doing just the basics, then adding the perks later down the road. i dont need to buy the dual burner stove just yet cuz i have a single burner i can use for now, i dont need the fridge im designing around jsut yet cuz i have a smaller spare i can use, etc etc. the pump would be further down the list.

so i guess that means im hunting for a hybrid pump. (sorry, still making decisions as i go)

so now i just have to find out how big those holes are in that sink, and find a hybrid pump that will fit, cuz i dont think that one will work with an electric pump. or find a sink for $30-$50 that will give me enough space to mount a countertop pump.

problem with the sinks, if i cant find it locally, the shipping is usually a deal breaker, that $30 one at menards is a steal compared to most i find online.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dlcunningham » Sun May 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Bought my sink yesterday at Wal Mart $17. It's a stainless mixing bowl. It seems heavy and has a good lip for mounting. Plenty wide at the bottom for the drain

dlcunningham
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 am

I like where you're going with this.i need to start thinking outside the box.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eamarquardt » Mon May 27, 2013 12:50 am

Why build it in as it limits where you can do your dishes. Also, if you like doing dishes in HOT water with a SS Bowl you can put it on a burner and get the water nice and hot in a jiffy. If the water cools down, back on the burner and it's hot as you like once again. Also, a rounded bowl, like the one pictured, uses less water than a flat bottomed sink rectangular does. Too many advantages to overlook.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby dlcunningham » Mon May 27, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm not going camping to do dishes. My mixing bowl is 11" diameter and a little over 7" deep. Plenty big for washing spoons, forks, etc. I can wash pots and pans by using the pots & pans as their own sink. I'll either get smaller plates or use paper plates. This isn't a half-cocked idea.
dlcunningham
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Mon May 27, 2013 9:53 pm

dlcunningham wrote:I'm not going camping to do dishes. My mixing bowl is 11" diameter and a little over 7" deep. Plenty big for washing spoons, forks, etc. I can wash pots and pans by using the pots & pans as their own sink. I'll either get smaller plates or use paper plates. This isn't a half-cocked idea.

To each his own.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 am

slowcowboy wrote:just a thought but I wander if this guy has already bought the sink?

slow

I'm broke, I haven't even bought the lumber to build the walls yet. Just trying to get this nailed down since the sink could potentially change the measurements. I've gotten some good ideas. Definitely going to look at mixing bowl . I've got this idea that a kitchen sink needs to be square, but I guess there's not a good reason behind that.

Did get the final touches done on the cad drawing. So I know how much lumber I need. Should start building in a week or so.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets