FYI: Lite Cylinder recall

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: FYI: Lite Cylinder recall

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Bogo wrote:Propane pressure relief valves are set at 275 to 300 lbs. At standard temperatures the tanks run around 177 lbs plus to keep the propane liquid.

At 70°f. tank pressure is 110psi, at 90° f. pressure is 150 psi, at 110°f. pressure is 205 psi.....IF tank safety valve is at 275 psi and tank ruptures or explodes at a pressure below 275 PSI what good is safety relief (blow off) valve.... Not buying your logic.... Faulty construction of a product does not follow all the rules of physics, as we design and engineer products...

Little more about pressures and temperature.... And general propane safety...

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html

Also more reading for those who are interested in propane safety....

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=44161

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 am

Rats! My tank has the first number as well. If the company is not responding/out of business, how can we return the tanks to them? Any suggestions?
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 am

What I am reading in the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration complaint is that they have had a small number of failures which they failed to report, and a persistent quality control problem with a lack of willingness to address them. I have not checked ours but will do a leak test and continue to use it with caution. Knowing government inspection types (having been one) this may not be particularly probabilistic. Most of the complaints were of such things as not doing random burst testing but instead tested all the samples at the beginning of a run.
Hydro testing would I would think assure safety.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 am

Seems to me were reincarnating Groucho Marx's old TV program: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Bet_Your_Life

A std propane tank is about $30 at the big box stores. You can get smaller ones for more and aluminum tanks for even more.

I can appreciate having cool stuff like an MPPT controller versus a more basic PWM controller and all sorts of trick things folks on the forum have done to make their trailer the way they want it regardless of the cost in $ or time and energy.

I simply can't understand a lot of folks lack of concern about safety items. IMHO brakes are a cheap investment but many people push the envelope and rationalize that they'll be more cautious than usual when driving a vehicle that, in many cases, exceeds the manufacturers recommendations and the towing laws of many states.

Yeah the plastic tanks are see through (a minor deal as a scale will tell you to the oz how much is in the tank) and a bit lighter but I've always wondered about their ability to withstand a blow, drop, or some other type of physical assault. Steel or aluminum will bend or dent. Plastic not so much.

I do whatever I can to reasonably minimize the risks I take and the potential for more pain in my life. I don't enjoy getting up and taking a pain pill first thing virtually each and every day and, typically, more throughout the day. Call me a wuss. I've done some pretty cool things (more than most folks) that have killed more than a few but I have only experienced an occasional very minor injury.

If someone is gonna continue to use one of these tanks I think they ought to fly a flag or banner warning others around them of the fact the tank has been recalled but continues to be used.

No matter how small the risk of using one of these plastic tanks that are now suspect, it isn't, IMHO, worth the risk.

Rant over.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:46 am

If there is a recall on these cylinders I wouldn't continue to use them. If they burst while someone is filling them, and you were aware of the recall, you could get a hefty lawsuit filed against you.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Got a letter from uhaul today, where we purchased ours. They will give us a 20# steel tank if we bring in our lite to a uhaul that does propane.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 pm

nevadatear wrote:Got a letter from uhaul today, where we purchased ours. They will give us a 20# steel tank if we bring in our lite to a uhaul that does propane.

That's nice and responsible of them. :thumbsup: :applause: :D

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Took my almost-full Lite Cylinder fiberglass tank to the local Lakes Area Cooperative Energy Division. They hadn't heard about the recall so I forwarded the info to them. They were nice enough to empty, purge and remove the valve on the tank all for the low, low price of...nothing. Gotta love small town service.
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm

mcspin50 wrote:Took my almost-full Lite Cylinder fiberglass tank to the local Lakes Area Cooperative Energy Division. They hadn't heard about the recall so I forwarded the info to them. They were nice enough to empty, purge and remove the valve on the tank all for the low, low price of...nothing. Gotta love small town service.

Lil,

Didn't they give you a new cylinder? Now THAT would be small town service! A FREE cylinder! :)
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets