Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby DudKC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Now that we're pretty much done with most of the heavy lifting on the build I figured I would get the propane bottle filled up and test out the sweet stove I saved from the original '72 Starcraft. When I hooked it all up, much to my dismay, no propane came out. I have some pics below if that helps. When I tighten the regulator all the way and turn on the tank, I hear no sound and smell no propane. Then when I walk back to the stove and turn on all 3 burners, I also hear no sound nor smell any propane. The next step is to turn off the burners and walk back to the front of the camper. Then I slowly unscrew the regulator, with the tank on, and as the regulator gets about a quarter to half way unscrewed I hear a whoosh of propane and smell a little bit of propane, but that's it - very fleeting and it stops suddenly.

For the next test I unhooked the flex line from the stove, so now the propane bottle is hooked up to the regulator, which is hooked up to the 1 inch black pipe running under the camper, and no stove attached. Now, when I turn on the propane in these circumstances I also hear nothing and don't smell any propane (at the bottle and back at the open black pipe).

I believe we might have a faulty regulator, but if anyone has any suggestions or wisdom to offer I would be all ears.

Thanks!

Image

Image

Image

Burner hookups - hopefully there isn't a valve or something that I'm missing
Image

Image
Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 125
Images: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:34 pm

One thing you need to do is open the valve on the propane tank very slowly, The problem may be caused by flow restrictors built into the 20# propane tanks so that when Fido chews through the black chew toy there is not a huge gush of propane, and that discontecting, then reconnecting the screw-on regulator fitting to the tank and slowly opening the valve should soleve the problem.
User avatar
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member
 
Posts: 5611
Images: 192
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 pm
Location: Metamora, OH

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby DudKC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Ok, I just disconnected the regulator, then reconnected it. So tight that it squeaked and I couldn't tighten it any more. Then I put my ear right next to the bottle and slowly opened the valve. I heard a very faint woosh of propane, that lasted about a half second or less, then nothing. No propane coming out of the open black pipe at the back either.

One thing I did notice when I took off the regulator - There is a black "O-ring" on the part that fits into the bottle, and it has a slight gash in it. It still has it's circular shape, but there is a noticeable gash in it. I wonder if that is not allowing a good seal...
Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 125
Images: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Kansas City
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby DudKC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm also assuming that eventually I'll need to clean off the dried pipe dope from where I disconnected the flex line from the black pipe (see 2nd pic in OP), and reapply new pipe dope when I reconnect it.

Any suggestions on what to use to do that? Or do I just slap new pipe dope over it and reconnect it?
Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 125
Images: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Kansas City
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby len19070 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:12 am

Remove your regulator. If there is anything resembling oil on or at the fittings (or anywhere for that matter) Your regulator is bad.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
User avatar
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club
 
Posts: 3054
Images: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: S.E Pa. Morton
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby Dale M. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:17 am

One issue I have found is regulator snout does NOT extends into tank valve far enough (even when fully tightened) to fully open anti flow/anti surge valve.... Try different tank or different regulator attachment fitting.....

IF they are good, then you regulator is bad....

Its pretty simple, either tank valve or regulator is problem...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Image
User avatar
Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club
 
Posts: 2649
Images: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Just a tiny bit west of Yosemite National Park
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby Larry C » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 am

DudKC wrote:I'm also assuming that eventually I'll need to clean off the dried pipe dope from where I disconnected the flex line from the black pipe (see 2nd pic in OP), and reapply new pipe dope when I reconnect it.

Any suggestions on what to use to do that? Or do I just slap new pipe dope over it and reconnect it?


You don't put ANY dope on the those threads. That is a parallel thread and a flare connection. The seal comes from the flare seat, not the threads as it does with the NPT threads.
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club
 
Posts: 730
Images: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Finger Lakes
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby Larry C » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am

Another thought: Did you install the fitting into the regulator? If so, is there a directional flow shown on the regulator e.g. in/out or an arrow? Maybe the regulator is connected backwards??
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club
 
Posts: 730
Images: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Finger Lakes
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby DudKC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am

Larry C wrote:
DudKC wrote:I'm also assuming that eventually I'll need to clean off the dried pipe dope from where I disconnected the flex line from the black pipe (see 2nd pic in OP), and reapply new pipe dope when I reconnect it.

Any suggestions on what to use to do that? Or do I just slap new pipe dope over it and reconnect it?


You don't put ANY dope on the those threads. That is a parallel thread and a flare connection. The seal comes from the flare seat, not the threads as it does with the NPT threads.



Noted. Should I clean it off? Or just reconnect it?
Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 125
Images: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Kansas City
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby DudKC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:53 am

Larry C wrote:Another thought: Did you install the fitting into the regulator? If so, is there a directional flow shown on the regulator e.g. in/out or an arrow? Maybe the regulator is connected backwards??



I did not install the fitting into the regulator. It came in a package already assembled as you see it in the first pic in the OP.
Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 125
Images: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Kansas City
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby DudKC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:55 am

Dale M. wrote:One issue I have found is regulator snout does NOT extends into tank valve far enough (even when fully tightened) to fully open anti flow/anti surge valve.... Try different tank or different regulator attachment fitting.....

IF they are good, then you regulator is bad....

Its pretty simple, either tank valve or regulator is problem...

Dale


Well, both are new so that is disappointing. I had the propane bottle filled for the first time on Wednesday and when they filled it they didn't have any trouble at all, so my guess is the regulator is bad. I will get a new regulator hooked up sometime this weekend and give that a shot.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll still listen to any suggestions.
Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 125
Images: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Kansas City
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby Larry C » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:10 am

DudKC wrote:
Dale M. wrote:One issue I have found is regulator snout does NOT extends into tank valve far enough (even when fully tightened) to fully open anti flow/anti surge valve.... Try different tank or different regulator attachment fitting.....

IF they are good, then you regulator is bad....

Its pretty simple, either tank valve or regulator is problem...

Dale


Well, both are new so that is disappointing. I had the propane bottle filled for the first time on Wednesday and when they filled it they didn't have any trouble at all, so my guess is the regulator is bad. I will get a new regulator hooked up sometime this weekend and give that a shot.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll still listen to any suggestions.



Was it a brand new never filled tank? Did they purge the tank by putting a small amount of propane in it and venting it to atmosphere? They need to do this several times to get the air removed from the tank. Maybe that's your problem?
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club
 
Posts: 730
Images: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Finger Lakes
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby Larry C » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:12 am

DudKC wrote:
Larry C wrote:
DudKC wrote:I'm also assuming that eventually I'll need to clean off the dried pipe dope from where I disconnected the flex line from the black pipe (see 2nd pic in OP), and reapply new pipe dope when I reconnect it.

Any suggestions on what to use to do that? Or do I just slap new pipe dope over it and reconnect it?


You don't put ANY dope on the those threads. That is a parallel thread and a flare connection. The seal comes from the flare seat, not the threads as it does with the NPT threads.



Noted. Should I clean it off? Or just reconnect it?


Yes clean it off, and don't damage (scratch) the flare seats (male and female)
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club
 
Posts: 730
Images: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Finger Lakes
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby Dale M. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 pm

DudKC wrote:
Larry C wrote:Another thought: Did you install the fitting into the regulator? If so, is there a directional flow shown on the regulator e.g. in/out or an arrow? Maybe the regulator is connected backwards??



I did not install the fitting into the regulator. It came in a package already assembled as you see it in the first pic in the OP.


Verify its correct, IN from tank, OUT to stove..... Just because its factory assembled does not mean its right.... Person assembling it probably did no understand English.....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Image
User avatar
Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club
 
Posts: 2649
Images: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Just a tiny bit west of Yosemite National Park
Top

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby DudKC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Dale M. wrote:
DudKC wrote:
Larry C wrote:Another thought: Did you install the fitting into the regulator? If so, is there a directional flow shown on the regulator e.g. in/out or an arrow? Maybe the regulator is connected backwards??



I did not install the fitting into the regulator. It came in a package already assembled as you see it in the first pic in the OP.


Verify its correct, IN from tank, OUT to stove..... Just because its factory assembled does not mean its right.... Person assembling it probably did no understand English.....

Dale


It is correct in that facet. Even though it was made in Mexico.
Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 125
Images: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm
Location: Kansas City
Top

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest