external fuel supply for Honda-engined genny

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: external fuel supply for Honda-engined genny

Postby working on it » Sat May 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Got the tank installed today, mounted on a slide-mount I salvaged from a computer desk years ago. Fabricated a platform, secured the tank to it (with a 1" hole underneath, room for a 90 degree angled petcock to easily fit ). There should be enough clearance for the fuel line and quick-disconnect fittings (on order) to rest in a small storage box in this space for travel. Measured the distance from the uppermost fuel level to the carb/float; it is just inside the max allowable spec, so I think it will work without any flow restrictors.
3.5 gallon spun aluminum tank on slde-mount.jpg
3.5 gallon spun aluminum tank on slde-mount.jpg (76.61 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
line storage under tank.jpg
line storage under tank.jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
fuel tank run position, extended.jpg
fuel tank run position, extended.jpg (95.09 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
Ordered special fuel line, quick-disconnects, 90 degree petcock (for under tank), and a second inline valve (to separate flow between external and original tanks) today. Will pick up fuel filter, tee, line clamps locally. And another fire extinguisher, too.
Last edited by working on it on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Sun May 25, 2014 6:14 pm

working on it wrote: Will pick up fuel filter, tee, line clamps locally. And another fire extinguisher, too
Did so, and mounted the extinguisher in the galley/storage area, for immediate access if needed (other two are locked in the truck cab, or in the trailer cabin). Mounted on side away from possible fuel/fire flare-ups. Thanks for reminding me to be prepared, Socal Tom.
heeding sage advice, a readily accessible accessory.jpg
heeding sage advice, a readily accessible accessory.jpg (90.12 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
Added 5/31: plan for today, if wife doesn't "honey-do" me to death first, is to attach the parts mentioned in the quote above (along with others I bought online) to a mounting board and test run the generator.
extended run fuel line routing plan.jpg
extended run fuel line routing plan.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
The line from the tank is to be disconnected from the board after use, and stored under the aluminum tank in a plastic storage container (if there are incidental minor leaks). The "A" & "B" disconnects are self-sealing, and the tank petcock is to be turned off after usage, so the fuel left in the stored line shouldn't leak (but you never know). The isolator valve mounted on the board will be shut off, to prevent backflow into tank 2. Whoops, made an error in my drawing (don't submit before review !, especially before your wake-up coffee-or tea). Isolator valve shown where it should go:
extended run fuel line routing plan (corrected).jpg
extended run fuel line routing plan (corrected).jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 pm

And Done! Connected everything together, using all but 6 inches of the special fuel line I bought, and secured to mounting board separating the generator head from the fuel supply (used as a spark shield). Tested all lines with air, since I had only enough gas on hand for my mower (remember the impending "honey-do" chores). Rushed the assembly, for the same reason...see the fingerprints on the freshly painted board....
underside of extended run tank slider.jpg
underside of extended run tank slider.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
completed fuel line from overhead tank.jpg
completed fuel line from overhead tank.jpg (116.84 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
details of tee, isolator valve, & disconnect.jpg
details of tee, isolator valve, & disconnect.jpg (49.34 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
Added 6-1-14: Still haven't filled the tank yet, but I forgot to mention that the tank-side quick-disconnect fitting (first, leading from the extended-run tank) is free-flowing, while the lower part (mounted to the board), is sealed when disconnected. I thought that that feature would allow me to drain remaining fuel from the upper tank after use, and the reason for having the plastic storage tray is to catch residue from that line. (Added 6-12-14: I put a 1/2 gallon of gasoline into the aluminum tank on 6-8-14...the petcock seals off the flow perfectly. When the line is disconnected, there are no drips at all.) Otherwise, I would've got fittings that sealed on both ends. I don't want to carry a full tank on the upper shelf if I am not actively using it. The miniscule original tank, on the lower shelf, can't harm much if it leaks, since I will not fill it unless I intend to use it, instead (I'm considering a drain feature there also...).
Last edited by working on it on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 am

Looks like an awful dangerous setup to me... :shock:

The fire extinguisher, while a great idea, seems mighty close to where the fire would likely be.
It may be more useful to mount it further away, and outside the enclosed area so that you would have a chance to get to it without being burned.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:39 pm

48Rob wrote:Looks like an awful dangerous setup to me... :shock:

The fire extinguisher, while a great idea, seems mighty close to where the fire would likely be.
It may be more useful to mount it further away, and outside the enclosed area so that you would have a chance to get to it without being burned.

Rob

X2.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 pm

48Rob wrote:Looks like an awful dangerous setup to me... :shock:
It may be more useful to mount it further away, and outside the enclosed area so that you would have a chance to get to it without being burned. Rob
The danger factor is all relative to what you're used to.... Compared to driving a race car, or even to a street car (at least in Dallas traffic), it seems a safer proposition. The danger of a fuel line conflagration is mitigated by the fact that the fuel lines are visible, unobstructed, -operated only when pulled out from the galley-, and the operator can "run away" from the danger if all goes awry. I have had a fuel line fire while crossing the finish line, and coming back down the return road...couldn't do a darn thing until I could stop the car, jump out, and spray underneath (also had a carb fire; pretty much the same scenario); this is a much more containable situation, IMHO. The placement of the "new" fire extinguisher is 3 feet away from the engine, on a quick-release mounting, and in direct line of sight of where to aim it (at the lines and tank) for fire suppression. If fire starts when the operator, me, is in the cabin, then there is another extinguisher inside, and another behind the seat of the truck, and (I'm sure) all my fellow campers would come running with more to help. The new line and fittings are all tested and proven parts (motorcycle), and I don't foresee any parts breakage or such occurrences like those that caused my racing fires (I won't be doing any wheels-up launches or crossing the finish line at 130mph in my trailer), so I don't fear operating the generator while stationary. The aluminum tank/petcock interface is a full 6" outside the galley, while the line and fittings mounting board is another 3"-6" further out, and the pump/carb another 3". Any flames (or gasoline leakage) should be clear of the immediate "trailer enclosure" area (reason for the slide-outs). Maybe I should add a smoke detector both inside and out of my cabin (I actually have already planned to do so- with a CO detector for inside the cabin as well)? And, as I stated before, the fuel tank(s) will be empty whenever travelling, and only used after much testing. I will also explore getting/fabricating: a) quick-release tank mount (to quickly remove 3.5 gallon tank from trailer), b) a second mount for the galley extinguisher (mounted to exterior wall at camp), and c) using a fire suppression blanket as a safety device/sound absorber in conjunction with the generator camping set-up. I want to be safe, but I also want it to work well. I love a challenge, so back to "working on it".
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby highdesertranger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:33 pm

you know they make extended run kits for Honda generators. highdesertranger
highdesertranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:45 am

Not for this model. I checked; seems like they are only made for the Honda Eu models (the 1k & 2k watt quiet ones). My genny is a Craftsman, w/ Honda power.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets