keeping it sanitary

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

keeping it sanitary

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:37 pm

finally started working on my trailer again. im tossing around the idea of making a small folding tray up front, and just keeping the tanks inside during travel, but i need some ideas of how to keep the part that is exposed sanitary.

heres some pics

this is how they will sit.

this is the fresh.

and this is the gray.

the latter two pictures show what will stay attached to the trailer when the tanks are removed. this is on the front of the trailer, so i want something to protect against spplattered bugs.

my original idea was to leave them on there, and have some kind of lid that covered at least the top half of the tanks, but since they stayed hooked up, sanitation wasnt a huge concern. now if i decide to unhook them during travel, and have the tray they sit on fold up, what would you do to cover them? do i even need to worry about keeping the gray connection sanitary?

the only reason im considering this is the crank on the tongue jack will be just in front of the tanks, so it would be easier to crank it without the tanks. although it can be cranked with them on there. the other thought is that it will potentially be easier to do some sort of cover for the 2 connections, than it will be to make a cover for the whole tanks. plus said cover and the tray they sit on would have to be roadworthy, whereas if i just cover those 2 connections, the tray can be a little simpler.

now as ive typed this, im already thinking about getting 2 more of those pvc couplers, and using the parts that i currently have attached to the tanks as caps. i could just seal the bottom of them up real good, then screw them into there when the tanks are removed. then maybe like an "awning" made of plastic, on a hinge that lifts up for access.

i may have answered my own question, but ill still take any input, as i havent thought about this long enough yet.

as always, thanks
Brandon
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Re: keeping it sanitary

Postby Dale M. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:27 am

I would put them in permanent box .... What bothers me is every time you disconnect and move them around and then reconnect them you stand chance of getting fresh water tank confused with sanitary tank and connected wrong and contaminated the whole system and possibly causing a health problem.... I would put decidedly different coupler assembly on sanitary tank so its impossible to connect tanks wrong....

Also how are you going to draw water out of water tank... Do you have dip tube from connector to bottom of tank?

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Talia62 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 am

If you're on a budget, how about a couple external faucet protectors? Something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24432-1410-FC2_1z0wg75__?productId=3277079&pl=1
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby Lunchbox7985 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 pm

That's a really good Idea talia. I just wonder if they will stay on at 55mph.

And ya dale there's a dip tube in the fresh tank. And id you look closely, while the same type of coupler, they are different sizes. No chance of hooking them up wrong.
Lunchbox7985
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Lunchbox7985 wrote:And ya dale there's a dip tube in the fresh tank. And id you look closely, while the same type of coupler, they are different sizes. No chance of hooking them up wrong.

Ok...Didn't really catch that first time I looked at pics...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Talia62 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Lunchbox7985 wrote:That's a really good Idea talia. I just wonder if they will stay on at 55mph.

The ones I've seen have a shock cord with a spring-loaded barrel slider on them. The shock cord loops around the faucet, and then you pull it tight up against the wall, and the barrel slider holds it tight. They're pretty darn secure, and at a couple bucks each for the cheapest ones, it's something you could try without a lot of financial risk.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets