pump mounting

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

pump mounting

Postby gene so » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Hello,
I am incorporating virtually everything from a destroyed large popup camper into an offroad 9 ft custom trailer. The sink, refrigerator, cooktop and water tank go into an externally reached galley. Since the popup pump was a vacuum unit I have decided to upgrade to an electric 12v pump. I note I can lay the water tank on its side and inlet, outlet and pump lines all can work properly and thus I gain another galley cabinet drawer, due to this space saving . With this layout I believe I can mount the Shurflo 4008 pump so the inlet and outlet are purely in line vertically with the faucet and sink area directly above the pump. Not having dealt with this system is this a good design idea?

Thanks in advance,

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: pump mounting

Postby KennethW » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:20 pm

The pump can not be above the tank.The pump has to be below the low point of the water tank. The water pump will not suck water up to it.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 pm

That pump will dry prime up to 6' so you are good to go. I had to look it up because ours is at the low point.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:26 pm

KennethW wrote:The pump can not be above the tank.The pump has to be below the low point of the water tank. The water pump will not suck water up to it.

Actually, that pump will self prime up to 6 feet above the source. I have to get me one of those. I have an old Dayton pump that isn't self priming and is a general PITA if the tank goes dry.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:33 am

I was wrong. I guess I am old school. I have never had a pump that would self prime.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gene so » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Well, Thank you everyone, I shall doublecheck with the manufacturer, but it would seem I have chosen a good pump for my camper.

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets