water tank placement and ground clearance

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

water tank placement and ground clearance

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:03 pm

I am designing the placement of a water tank under the cabin. I realized I have no idea how much ground clearance one should have.

How far below the trailer frame can one safely go? I have seen some builds with foot wells. However, I have not seen measurements on depth of the wells or ground clearance after assembly. Most photos make it difficult to determine actual dimensions or clearance. Or the tanks are on massive trailers with 5+" frames.

Other constraints:
(1) I anticipate no real off roading (at least not intentionally), but will travel unimproved roads.
(2) Not having a trailer in front of me, I am estimating about 19" give or take a few inches from the ground to the bottom of the frame assuming 15" rims (28" diameter wheel) plus axle support. (technically does not matter)
(3) As the tanks get bigger, the minimum height is 10".
(4) Using the 3" frame and possibly some of the floor thickness ( 1/2" + 1 1/2 insulation + 1/2" ), one could get back up 5". So dealing with 5+" below the frame.

Also, any suggestions on best method to attach a water tank -- metal bands/strapping with or without a wood or metal base; metal framing (1" tubing); threaded rods with metal bars/strapping/bands.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Re: water tank placement and ground clearance

Postby Philip » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:30 pm

The company in this link will make a tank to your custom spec's. So all you need to figure out is mounting. On the linked page it shows a tank with mounting flanges. So that is on option for mountings. Use you cross members for mounting points. They have a chat room with a tech. I talked with him a while back. Seemed to know his job.

http://www.all-rite.com/custom-holding-and-water-tanks

BTW they can add baffles into a tank also.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:55 pm

I can't give you a specific answer of how low. However, when I back up to a ramp (dirt, asphalt rock-pile or whatever) or come down a steep ramp, it's the rear of the trailer that is threatened. I'd suggest you keep anything under the chassis forward of the the axle. Perhaps no lower than your tow vehicle's clearance.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kaz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:37 pm

I have a 5" tall tank under mine and the lowest fitting AKA pick up and drain are 2.5" below the lowest frame rail. Two 2" frame rails and 1" sub frame gives me 5" depth for the tank.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets