Best sewer/dump hose?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Best sewer/dump hose?

Postby SalsaDog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:23 am

What is the best sewer hose? Is such a beast available? It needs to store in a 4" square bumper. The fittings need to stay secure and not leek. I'm looking for two 10 foot extension hoses with bayonets on each end. I have a clear 90.

I have checked on line and they all seam to be the typical over priced rv crap.

What say you?
SalsaDog
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Best sewer/dump hose?

Postby Ottsville » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:06 am

I like the Rhino flex. They are a nice heavy plastic hose. The fittings are sized to fit in a 4" bumper, but it is snug and needs to be finagled a bit. You could sand down the square sides for it to fit a bit looser, but your elbow won't fit.

When I bought mine I bought a 30' hose and an extra connection then cut it into a 12' and an 18' so I had a long and a short one. We only used the longer one once in 3 years though.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby SalsaDog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:31 am

So you have had no leaks then? I have checked the reviews and more than a few had problems with that particular one. Probably a lack of common sense? I'm thinking of doing some research and maybe DIY?
SalsaDog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 am

IMHO the greatest enemy of the sewer hose is forcing it in and pulling it out of that 4" traveling location

the abraision against the slightly rusty(inevitable) interior walls of the typical RV bumper scrapes the plastic off the outside of the wire coils thus killing the hose's ability to transfer S... from the holding tank to the drain hole in the ground w/o letting some of IT to escape :-(

some will advocate filing the fittings to fit easier which i believe to weaken them causing failure at the most inopportune times usually when replacements are not to be had

¿ BEST HOSE ?

they're all crap...

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:40 am

swoody126 wrote:IMHO the greatest enemy of the sewer hose is forcing it in and pulling it out of that 4" traveling location

the abraision against the slightly rusty(inevitable) interior walls of the typical RV bumper scrapes the plastic off the outside of the wire coils thus killing the hose's ability to transfer S... from the holding tank to the drain hole in the ground w/o letting some of IT to escape :-(

some will advocate filing the fittings to fit easier which i believe to weaken them causing failure at the most inopportune times usually when replacements are not to be had

¿ BEST HOSE ?

they're all crap...

sw
Yep, that bumper also rusts from the usage. The "better" way is to mount a PVC pipe to that bumper. Glue cap can be used on one end or just use 2 clean out caps on both.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby SalsaDog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:27 am

I took a look inside the bumper tube. It's the worst place to stick a hose. It's rusty, too tight and the tube seam is positioned
on the bottom so it saws the ribs on the hose every time it's slide in and out. I'm going to install the pvc tube and get some
"good" 10' extensions and be done with it.

I have a converted cargo trailer, a luggable loo and some happy camper, it's all we needed for 20 some years.

Over spring break, she decides SHE is going to get a glam camper with everything. AND here I am.

This isn't the worst of it. Now she wants to take her nieces camping and USE MY 1 TON DIESEL. :shock: :thumbdown:

The wheels are coming off the stage couch.
SalsaDog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:24 am

Pvc pipe is one option, but I think the square fence post covers look better. They can be painted and you can use fence post caps on them and your elbow(if it breaks down) will fit in it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-5-in-x-5-in-x-8-ft-White-Vinyl-Fence-Post-73010700/202084745
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:39 am

Ottsville wrote:Pvc pipe is one option, but I think the square fence post covers look better. They can be painted and you can use fence post caps on them and your elbow(if it breaks down) will fit in it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-5-in-x-5-in-x-8-ft-White-Vinyl-Fence-Post-73010700/202084745
Yes I wasn't covering all options, just suggested, the old common mod. PVC post cover or pipe is all paintable. Some paint sticks better than other, with proper prep.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am

Ottsville wrote:I like the Rhino flex. They are a nice heavy plastic hose. The fittings are sized to fit in a 4" bumper...
  • I like the Rhino flex hoses, too. Normally, they are great for waste disposal. Normally. We recently had to live in our 20-ft travel trailer, in the rear driveway/parking area, for three months last fall. Our house needed replacing, so we lived there with our numerous dogs & 2 pet birds. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69239&hilit=neglected We used two Rhino flex hoses (20+ feet) to disperse our graywater onto our backyard, but our blackwater disposal presented a problem.
  • We have two septic tanks on our property, but the nearest access port (tank lid) is 48.5' away from the wastewater valve assembly, and uphill, so we couldn't use gravity to empty the BW tank. So, I bought a Flo-jet RV waste pump w/macerator, and a large diameter 50' hose. I also installed a clear extension onto the valve assembly, so I could observe the flow, and a city-water hose (75', from my neighbor's house, on a separate fitting than to the trailer itself) to flush the tank/macerator clean.
  • The system worked flawlessly, and I used it every 9-10 days. Sure beat having to use a rolling disposal tank, IMHO. I used my HHR's battery as the 12vdc source, since it was parked next to the trailer, and never had any problem at all, until I buried the septic tanks again, after the plumbing of the new house was done, and I had to empty the BW tank a last time before winterizing it (a hard-cold front was coming that night). My new septic-tank-access port was 7 feet further away, so I bought a cheap, 5/8" diameter 10' hose from Lowe's, to span the distance. That hose kinked up, built up pressure, then exploded, scattering waste all over the yard. Fortunately, none on me, or the house, but only over a part of the dog yard, before I could fix it. Using a better hose, I successfully emptied the tank, sanitized equipment and the access port, and then winterized the trailer. Nature (and strong rains) sanitized the yard, that week.
  • rv waste macerator-pump unit and .75 inch hose.jpg
    rv waste macerator-pump unit and .75 inch hose.jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
    totally worth the money, to empty your RV tank uphill or at a long distance
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SalsaDog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:53 pm

The post option looks slick. I'm going to go with that.

Thanks for your time and input, much appreciated.
SalsaDog
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets